Welcome!

Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 beta 1 release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

Nobody having fun with dmenu?

Topics/Questions/Guides about Windows Managers and Desktop Environments (other than KDE) should go here.
Farcry

Nobody having fun with dmenu?

#1 Postby Farcry » Thu May 15, 2014 2:05 pm

I just happened to be searching the forums for dmenu and I realized it has never been mentioned at all re Mepis, antiX, and MX14! Okay, it's keyboard-driven, but there are just so many uses for it - for example, I use it for my fyr launcher on Arch Linux + Openbox. You can find hundreds of ideas here. My own personal preference is for the greatly patched fork called dmenu2.

I know my references here are all to Arch Linux, but dmenu can trivially be packaged for other distros.
Have fun with it, especially those who like lighter and more productive DEs!
:happy:

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Nobody having fun with dmenu?

#2 Postby Jerry3904 » Thu May 15, 2014 2:39 pm

Sounds perfect for Arch, but I have trouble believing the "more productive" part...
Production: 4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64, MX-15 RC1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 3.16-0-4-686-pae. MX-15, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

NGIB
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Postby NGIB » Thu May 15, 2014 3:08 pm

I only open a terminal if it's absolutely necessary - so as little as possible. I looked at the Arch install guide once and I immediately threw it away...
Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Farcry

#4 Postby Farcry » Thu May 15, 2014 3:13 pm

Jerry3904 wrote:I have trouble believing the "more productive" part...

Very much a case of seeing what you prefer. On our family's and friends' computers, I maintain Openbox's (right-click) menus but also my fyr launcher which uses dmenu. The heaviest users tend to use the keyboard-driven menu much more often than the traditional mouse-selected Openbox menus.
I should have also said that one of the nice features of dmenu is its ability to select menu items based on tokens, not just a single sub-string.
PS, added later: I got sick of Windows' menus so have used Executor for years whenever I'm forced to use Windows systems.
Last edited by Farcry on Thu May 15, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Farcry

#5 Postby Farcry » Thu May 15, 2014 3:16 pm

NGIB wrote:I only open a terminal if it's absolutely necessary - so as little as possible. I looked at the Arch install guide once and I immediately threw it away...

Dmenu uses X, not a terminal, so you can use it with any distro you like (I just quoted Arch because it has a lot of dmenu-related resources).

Farcry

#6 Postby Farcry » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:47 pm

Just to update you with some good news:

1) A patch now exists to provide dmenu with mouse support
2) The ayr launcher has forked from the fyr launcher and is intended to supersede it.

;)

Return to “Other WMs / DEs”