-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Update

Topics/Questions/Guides about Windows Managers and Desktop Environments (other than KDE) should go here.
malspa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Update

#11 Post by malspa » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:43 pm

Once there's a beta (sometime this week?), will there be a MX-14 subforum here for folks who are not on the Development Team?

malspa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#12 Post by malspa » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:57 pm

I had an interesting time yesterday playing around with a live session of the alpha. Surprisingly nice alpha -- I didn't run into any problems worth mentioning while running the live session. I had to use a disk because I couldn't get it on a flash drive with Unetbootin.

Later, a friend of mine was wondering how MX-14 would be any better than the Debian Live Xfce spin, so I fired up Debian Live Xfce. My first thought was that this Mepis Xfce looks like it'll be a lot more friendly to less experienced users than Debian Live. Much quicker and easier to do an installation with, too. Some very nice touches. like the "Help" button on the panel that includes some good info, and I like that inxi is included. GParted is there, too (I don't see GParted in my Debian Live), but I didn't find it in the menu. I found /usr/bin/gparted-pkexec and started up GParted with that.

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#13 Post by Jerry3904 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:01 pm

malspa wrote:Once there's a beta (sometime this week?), will there be a MX-14 subforum here for folks who are not on the Development Team?
Probably. Beta hopefully by early next week, but bugs are still being squashed, documentation written, graphics worked on, etc., so it's hard to tell right now.
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

golden45
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#14 Post by golden45 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:57 pm

I know from past posts that it will be great.thanks john

patzy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#15 Post by patzy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:55 am

This looks just the system to put on my old laptop.
It does a lot of grinding and groaning with Mepis 8.5 and kde.

I did try straight antix on it but found it hard to drive after being used to Mepis.

zeeone
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#16 Post by zeeone » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:54 am

Super, got an open partition on one of the Macbook Pro's just a waiting. :popcorn:
Research, Research, Research, Before You Walk The Plank.
Registered Linux User # 398829

masinick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#17 Post by masinick » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:51 pm

I'm pretty busy doing consultant work; otherwise I would have "jumped into this" much sooner.

For those of you from the antiX community going back many years, you may remember "ErieFisher". He was an early adopter of antiX, even before we had "Base" or "Core", and he was one of the first people I can remember who used to run antiX using Xfce instead of Fluxbox or IceWM. I quickly followed him.

I also recall a few releases back - I think it was in the days when we were languishing between KDE 3 and 4, back when Danum was producing KDE spins for us, that Marcos put together a few nice implementations of MEPIS with Xfce and LXDE, if I remember correctly.

Well, for me, back in those days, I was using all kinds of different window managers, desktop environments, Web browsers, and text editors, and I played with them extensively, using three different distributions: Debian Sid, antiX, and MEPIS, hitting Debian's unstable, testing, and stable repos, respectively, as I experimented with each of them.

I didn't do a lot of kitting or remastering; I simply would install various systems and either pare them down or add to them.

Later, when antiX Base and antiX Core became available (and Debian had a customizable Debian Live available for a little while, too), I created several distributions.

From Debian Live, I built my current Debian system; it started from stable, but I successfully morphed it to Sid, and I crafted in back up files and apps that I had previously created using an instance of a sidux distribution.

About the same time, I built an antiX Core system from scratch. Both the Sid and the Core system were created, interestingly enough, around the Xfce desktop.

As a result, I consider myself quite informed on how to do this, how to customize Xfce, and so on. Given enough time, I could certainly generate any number of ISO images myself, but given the limited time I've actually had to experiment recently, instead I am comfortably using each of these systems I've created. Some of them are in the 3-5 year age range and performing admirably well on aging hardware.

When the time is right, I'd love to test out and evaluate the MX-14 implementation; in some sense, I probably have already because I use the components from antiX extensively in the distributions I have currently installed on my equipment. Since I cannot promise daily, or even weekly feedback, I'll join the testing when it is available to a wider audience, but I do look forward to doing so some time in the near future!
Brian Masinick
I use both SimplyMEPIS and antiX

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#18 Post by Jerry3904 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:29 pm

Great: please start with the beta.
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB

zeeone
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#19 Post by zeeone » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:06 pm

Jerry3904, pm you earlier, can I get activated and to get caught up, ready to roll. Thanks. :happy:
Research, Research, Research, Before You Walk The Plank.
Registered Linux User # 398829

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#20 Post by Jerry3904 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:23 pm

Sorry, been running--will do it right now.

Return to “Other WMs / DEs”