New to MX Linux.

Here you can post a testimonial about why you like or love MX. Include as much detail and info as you wish.
bob466

New to MX Linux.

#1 Post by bob466 »

Hi Guys,

I'm new...just installed MX 18.1 several days ago and I think it's great. :celebrate: Still finding my way around but what I see I like very much...haven't had time to break anything yet. :crossfingers:

I'ts good to be here and because I'm no expert...I'll have many questions soon. I did manage to install my Printer and Scanner and Wine...so there's hope for me yet. :whoknows:
Linux Forever Windows Never :rock:

Richard

Re: New to MX Linux.

#2 Post by Richard »

Welcome to the Forum.

Can you post a bit about your experience
with Linux?
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

bob466

#3 Post by bob466 »

Hi Richard,

In 2016 I'd finally had a gut-full of Micro$oft and Windoze...so I switched to Linux Mint full-time and have been running it till now.

Before 2016 I tried many Distros either on a live DVD or in a VM...most I didn't like for one reason or another but that's me. I still like Mint but the changes made to the way the Panel works in 19.1 don't appeal to me.

I have a Desktop Computer with three Internal HDDs and a Linux Distro on each...Mint Cinnamon 18.3...MX Linux 18.1 and Xubuntu because I like them all and can't decide...so I now run each one for a week or two. :rofl:

I did install Timeshift on MX Linux as it's a very important tool and now I've got MX the way I like it...I'll create a System Image with Macrium Rescue Disk as I do with all my Linux Distros...it's better to be sure than sorry as I don't like Re-Installing everything. :frown:
Linux Forever Windows Never :rock:

Artim

#4 Post by Artim »

Welcome!

I loved Xubuntu too, for the wonderful way they have configured the Xfce desktop and tools. It was the distro I always "ran home to" after flirting with other ones for a week or two at a time. Now I just can't bring myself to use any Ubuntu-based distro anymore, once they started including Beta software in their regular updates! To make users unwitting Beta testers without their knowledge or consent is unforgivable in a distro aimed at Linux newcomers.

MX is the one I run home to now, and configuring it the way I want is effortless, done in a few minutes on a new install. And the support here is great too!

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#5 Post by JayM »

Welcome. I'll give you a month for MX to become your daily driver distro. :smile:

I also came from using Mint for about a year, first 18.3 KDE then 19 Cinnamon, and I used PCLinuxOS for years before that, and Ubuntu before that, and either Mandrake or Slackware (I forget which, possibly both) before that, and a non-distro non-GUI floppy installation before that back in the earlies, usually alongside Windows. I cut the Microsoft cord in around 2014 amd went full Linux. I couldn't see paying money for an OS that annoyed me when I could just legally download and use one for free that did the same thing. :grin:

I spent several weeks distro-hopping before I chose Mint as being the least-bad distro. (I left PCLOS when I got a new-ish laptop and wanted full-disk encryption on it in case it was stolen, and found that LVM FDE just doesn't work on PCLOS no matter what I tried.) Now that I need to sell that laptop I went back to using my 10 or 12 year old desktop. MX makes it run, well, still slower compared to the fast lappy, but way faster, quieter, consuming less power and almost snappy compared to running Mint on the same hardware. Under 40% CPU on average, vs. around 90% all the time and the CPU cooling fan usually running at high. MX supports newer hardware too, and it really screams on it. Once you learn where all of its various configuration tools and settings are, which is a bit of a learning curve, and get used to its few idiosyncrasies I think you're going to really like MX.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Return to “Testimonials”