Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

MX hit #6 spot on Distrowatch.

Here you can post a testimonial about why you like or love MX. Include as much detail and info as you wish.
Mauser

MX hit #6 spot on Distrowatch.

#1 Post by Mauser »

Congratulations to the MX Linux team. MX Linux is now at the #6 spot on Distrowatch. :celebrate:
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

HessenZone

Re: MX hit #6 spot on Distrowatch.

#2 Post by HessenZone »

And number #5 spot if you check for the past 3 months.

Keeping in line with the 12 months view, that's from spot 10 to spot 6 to spot 5. So far everything is looking good. ;^D

MX Linux Rocks, in America, in Europa, in Australien, einfach ÜBERALL. :linuxlove:

sunrat

#3 Post by sunrat »

Call me a grumpy old bastard, but I fear MX may be starting to suffer the downsides of popularity. Lots of package requests for programs only the requester will ever use, and requests for really simple features to be made even simpler.
The MX developers are just too nice! :happy:

HessenZone

#4 Post by HessenZone »

I'm not a software coder, but one of the things that I always envisioned having on my computers, is a Linux distro with as few applications as possible, that can achieve as much as possible, without using the terminal or having to resort to making own custom scripts which to me isn't much different from coding anything else, except for the fact that such scripts are more or less "selfishly" personal.

As a developer that would be my primary focus after the system files have been tweaked, fixed, and perfected. I'd look at my primary software applications, in the case of MX apps like Thunar, MX Tweak, Nomacs, etc., to see how those can be expanded upon. For example, if Nomacs has the ability to batch process (it works but it's IMO an ugly process) image resize, crop, and rotate, while Thunar already contains the tools for mass renaming, then why not combine all of those functions into Thunar by default? I dunno, I guess the reason why I harp a lot on Thunar is because I believe that any professional *USER* would benefit from using their file manager as the default tool to use and look for everything else. I have a minimum of 3 file manager windows open at all times, every day, because that's the tool that provides me with instant access to literally everything. When I set up a Linux machine for someone who's never used Linux before, that's the very first thing that I teach them - having Thunar associate all of their constantly used user files associated with the correct application - in order to basically eliminate having to use the main menu for anything else except logging off, using the settings, and accessing games. Used correctly, the file manager can be such an incredible time saver.

Sure, you still have access to everything from within the whisker/mx menu, but now you would only need to click through those areas rarely, as everything else would work instantly from within the file manager, thereby eliminating clicks & scrolls even further.

On the other hand, I wouldn't focus at all on finished apps that really require nothing else. For example, I use keepassx because because I truly feel that that is a perfect password saver application. It does what it's supposed to do, it has a small footprint, it has nice personal custom options & auto-save, and you can add custom notes and other bits of information,all in a programm that's capable of managing thousands of passwords while being very easy to back up. I would also focus on not overloading the OS with multiple different things that aren't needed. That's one of the things that drove me nuts with the developers of the Mate desktop quite a few years ago. Instead of settling on certain apps and perfecting them, the repos and distro sizes frequently changed with complete differences from one app to another, replacing apps instead of settling on them, etc. IMO, the road to the perfect distro is by settling on things which can then be perfected ever more, and not by deciding suddenly, oops, after 2 years we don't like this app anymore so now we're going to go with something else. That's just irritating. Isn't just about everything in/for Linux free to use as one sees fit? If so, then why not perfect what's already being used, instead of discarding something good for something else that's also good or better? Better is not perfect. Only hands on adjustments can create perfection ...
But heck, here I am rambling away and I'm not even a software programmer. Some people, eh? ;)

MX Linux Rocks, in America, in Europa, in Australien, einfach ÜBERALL. :linuxlove:

Return to “Testimonials”