Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Live USB installation win

Here you can post a testimonial about why you like or love MX. Include as much detail and info as you wish.
tascoast

Live USB installation win

#1 Post by tascoast »

Old mate's a bit broke and has been given an ex local government PC , a Dell model with hardware and monitor combined, sitting idle for a while.

No bootmanager present, press Ctrl Alt Del to restart, you know the sort of thing?
....250 MB HDD, had W7 by look of stickers, but just wiped empty, as might be expected.

So in goes my MX-17 USB after hitting F-12 and getting into bios to set this option as first in boot sequence (Left boot to stay as legacy option for simplicity).
Voila!
Quick check of System Profiler and Benchmarker....Yes!

Couldn't resize HDD to create partitions in Gparted, so went for 'Created Partition Table' (possibly not necessary),
deleted the FAT32 partition, quickly made a 50MB, 4MB for Swap and the remainder Data, labels for the last two, each formatted to Ext3...applied and done in under 5 minutes...
restarted, installed MX-17,
demonstrated Asunder and Clementine* (*quick obligatory volume boost :happy: ), adding both as desktop shortcuts,
set system date/time manually (not net connected),
Tweaked Panel to horizontal, workspace switcher to 2 rows,
Bob's your uncle! :number1:

All in under 30 minutes. I was most pleased to be able to assist so efficiently.
Next will be some basic lessons surrounding music to *.mp3 and updating portable players.

The only downside is old mate's lack of internet access, and corresponding lack of track/title/artist information when using Asunder, but I think we can do a few here and there via myself and others, tethering an android phone etc.

MX made me feel quite clever today :singing: (I was pretty confident in the outcome because of how reliable it has proven on other several other installs), but most of all, it has a friend up and running on a nice little unit that will keep them musically satisfied, this being their primary application.
Inspiron 15 5000-5593- (i7-1065G7) MX 19.2 AHS/MX-21//W10 - Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX-21/MX19/antiX19/Mint 19

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: Live USB installation win

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Well done, you techie you!
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

tascoast

#3 Post by tascoast »

Jerry3904 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:06 am Well done, you techie you!
:happy:

* I will tweak a little as I go, perhaps FAT32 for the Data partition (& Disk Manager to mount Data partition on booting up of course), at least setting up a music folder there which Clementine and Asunder default to, setting time to 24 hour style, a screensaver, add codecs if this becomes necessary, along with Australian spelling/thesaurus for LO (same for FF I think but these are low priority), and a basic lesson in mounting an MP3 player and using Thunar to transfer and revise music, Clementine playlists....many thanks to all who've helped me on the forum along over recent years, directly or indirectly, from Mepis and MX.
Inspiron 15 5000-5593- (i7-1065G7) MX 19.2 AHS/MX-21//W10 - Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX-21/MX19/antiX19/Mint 19

Artim

#4 Post by Artim »

I love the simplicity of the installer! Even technophobic kids can do it fearlessly!

uncle mark

#5 Post by uncle mark »

Artim wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:37 pm I love the simplicity of the installer! Even technophobic kids can do it fearlessly!
Technophobic kids??? Isn't that an oxymoron?
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

Artim

#6 Post by Artim »

No sir, not at all. We see where it's all heading... my parents fled their home world to escape "runaway technology" that threatened to destroy our whole civilization (see here).

Plus I always have had this fear of "pushing the wrong button" and blowing something up or making it self-destruct or something. The first time I installed a Linux distro that's exactly what I felt! Thankfully it gets easier with time and practice, but my "technophobia" is quite real, and so is the fearful look at the future of technology.

asqwerth
Developer

#7 Post by asqwerth »

I can't believe a young person actually knows Star Trek Insurrection, though. How old are you exactly, in real life?

PS. I never really understood why people hated this movie so much. It wasn't the best, but it wasn't horrible.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Artim

#8 Post by Artim »

LOL considerably older than the 12-year-old persona that I "play" on my blog.

rc racer

#9 Post by rc racer »

Artim wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:37 pm I love the simplicity of the installer! Even technophobic kids can do it fearlessly!
Even technophobic old men can do it fearlessly! (well maybe :happy: )
Dell Dimension E520
Memory 4GB
1 TB Hard Drive
Graphic AMD [ AMD/ATI ] caicos pro
[ Radeon HQ7450 ] (prog-ifoo [ VGA controller ]

Return to “Testimonials”