Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

MX 17. Openbox, Tint2, Worker, Vivaldi, PIA-VPN GUI - :D

Here you can post a testimonial about why you like or love MX. Include as much detail and info as you wish.
Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: MX 17. Openbox, Tint2, Worker, Vivaldi, PIA-VPN GUI - :D

#11 Post by Jerry3904 »

Thanks--now we have a better idea of what you're talking about.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

asqwerth
Developer

#12 Post by asqwerth »

I think you might wish also to explore antiX.

MX uses its live usb and snapshot tools, and antiX is focused on window managers only (no openbox though). It has a core version which you can install and build upon, and during installation you are asked if you wish to install to run Debian stable, testing or sid repos.

If you want a completely rolling distro, you could go with Sid, although IMO, keeping Sid updated and rolling without issues is slightly more troublesome than for Arch because Arch was actually intended as a rolling distro, while I view Sid as the place where all the new stuff from upstream gets thrown into the mix for testing before moving to Testing and then Stable (I used Semplice - an openbox+Sid distro - for a few years).

https://antixlinux.com/about/
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Buck Fankers

#13 Post by Buck Fankers »

handy wrote:Hi all, first post. ;)
THE 'handy' from Manjaro?!?

Welcome here!!!
You are a good news, I'm really glad to see you here. :number1:

Stevo
Developer

#14 Post by Stevo »

You can also upload images to postimg without opening an account, and you can then put the links they provide in your post. That's probably better than filling up our server.

Just my opinion, but I also think that Bunsen Labs missed an opportunity by not basing their still unreleased Stretch-based version on antiX/MX. They still could do it, probably, but that train is pulling out of the station.

handy

#15 Post by handy »

@asqwerth I'll keep that in mind re. Antix. If this build doesn't have any problems I'll be happy to run with it for some time. Any thoughts on the info from that link I previously posted:
GET MX LINUX
Most recent version HERE. These monthly updates/upgrades avoid large downloads after installation.
It made it seem like you could do a monthly upgrade of your system (or much of it at least)?

@Buck Fankers Thanks mate! You make me sound like I'm a whole lot more than I really am... ;)

@Stevo I'll keep that in mind re. posting images in the future. If I can upload them online without creating an account, then I'll likely go that way. Thanks for letting me know about postimg.
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

Stevo
Developer

#16 Post by Stevo »

If you keep up with updates as they appear, you'll roll to the same packages as in the monthly snapshots. There's no need to download those. They just are a better choice for someone installing for the first time, so they don't have as many updates after the install.

This would probably make a good addition to the FAQ.

asqwerth
Developer

#17 Post by asqwerth »

@handy, the linked page is merely referring to the official iso files, updated and refreshed every month.

Since it's so easy to create a new snapshot of MX with the snapshot tool, the Dev team simply generates a fully updated iso from a vanilla install every month.

Nothing to do with frequency of updates pushed to MX.
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)

malspa

#18 Post by malspa »

Stevo wrote:Just my opinion, but I also think that Bunsen Labs missed an opportunity by not basing their still unreleased Stretch-based version on antiX/MX. They still could do it, probably, but that train is pulling out of the station.
Not me; I'd prefer that BL remain based only on Debian Stable.

asqwerth
Developer

#19 Post by asqwerth »

MX is also Debian Stable, the only difference is that BL uses systemd as init manager.

handy

#20 Post by handy »

OK, re. updates I've got it now. :) (See, there was a reason why I failed twice to give the right answers when I was trying to initially create my forum account here - sharp as a bowling ball I've been told... ;) )

Thanks all, for your help on this.
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

Return to “Testimonials”