Why MX Linux is my favorite distro

Here you can post a testimonial about why you like or love MX. Include as much detail and info as you wish.
richb
Administrator

Re: Why MX Linux is my favorite distro

#31 Post by richb »

So we are expecting more polished stuff?
If you believe Debian Jessie upgrades are more polished, yes. But remember if you regularly update your current MX-16 system you will get them anyway.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

PhantomTramp

#32 Post by PhantomTramp »

I use MX because I don't have to tweak it that much; it is set up pretty much like I like it.
That said, Puppy Linux is great as a rescue CD. For reasons I don't understand, it's better than other distros at recovering files from failing drives.
I forgot to thank Adrian and crew for getting that custom roll of "WorkBench" out. It saved my bacon last week pulling files off of a dying old 2003 server SAS drive.

Pretty work, boys and girls!

The Tramp

:dancingfox:

Adrian
Developer

#33 Post by Adrian »

PhantomTramp wrote: I forgot to thank Adrian and crew for getting that custom roll of "WorkBench" out. It saved my bacon last week pulling files off of a dying old 2003 server SAS drive.

The Tramp

So glad to hear it was useful for something, I wanted to post a question to see if anybody is using it :)

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#34 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Adrian wrote:
PhantomTramp wrote: I forgot to thank Adrian and crew for getting that custom roll of "WorkBench" out. It saved my bacon last week pulling files off of a dying old 2003 server SAS drive.

The Tramp

So glad to hear it was useful for something, I wanted to post a question to see if anybody is using it :)
workbench gets a lot of "press" over on Sudo Reboot's youtube channel (he does mostly live feeds). He tends to call it "mx-17" :)
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Adrian
Developer

#35 Post by Adrian »

I know it's confusing, and now we are going to release MX 16.1 in middle of 2017...

Richard

#36 Post by Richard »

I renamed my copy to "MX-Workbench-17.02.iso"
so I'll remember it arrived in 2017-Feb.

I keep a copy on an 8 GB Utility Ez2boot USB:
  • Hirens.BootCD.15.2.iso
    MX-Workbench-17.02.iso
    Rescatux_cdrom_usb_hybrid_i386_amd64-486_0.30.2_sg2d.iso
    SystemRescueCd-x86-4.8.3.iso
plus
  • MX-16_May_386.iso
    MX-16_May_x64.iso
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

bart_at_mx

#37 Post by bart_at_mx »

Thanks for the welcome, Gordon Cooper and linexer2016! It really makes a difference to newcomers.

I hadn't seen much about MX Linux on computer sites. Distro reviewer Chris Were had a favorable review on YOuTube, though he didn't seem to know what to make of it. I remember seeing MEPiS as the distro of choice in the 2005 book "Point & Click LInux!". Apparently there's a histroy here that I'll have to learn more about.

linexer2016

#38 Post by linexer2016 »

Once again Bart, you are most welcome I am sure. Hopefully, there are and will be an increasing number of newcomers to this great distro and this forum going forward. I occasionally try (in Virtualbox) other distros (just to keep my finger on the pulse) but so far nothing I've seen has convinced me that there's anything out there that's superior to MX. I've seen posts in the past that MX with the XFCE desktop can be a little boring however, I can't understand that when it is so easy to (for example) set up say four desktops and give each its own wallpaper. One can also select from a wide array of themes, icons and fonts so again, I do not understand why one can't tweak MX's visuals to one's tastes and whatever else might be said, surely the rock stable distro that MX is creates a high degree of comfort for those trying the Linux eco system perhaps for the first time.

phil_n

#39 Post by phil_n »

HELP!! Not to segway this too much but in general Linux help is atrocious. Forum topics that go round and round forever slowly dribbling off into an abyss; topics that are marked [SOLVED] by the op whose final comment is "I got it fixed"; technical responses that are way over the head of anyone other than a dedicated geek which are then disputed vehemently by other geeks arguing that the original answer was totally ridiculous; RTFM!; and, finally "man linux".

Anyway so far I'm enjoying life on this "Pottering" free distro with things actually working "out of the box".

phil_n

richb
Administrator

#40 Post by richb »

phil_n wrote:HELP!! Not to segway this too much but in general Linux help is atrocious. Forum topics that go round and round forever slowly dribbling off into an abyss; topics that are marked [SOLVED] by the op whose final comment is "I got it fixed"; technical responses that are way over the head of anyone other than a dedicated geek which are then disputed vehemently by other geeks arguing that the original answer was totally ridiculous; RTFM!; and, finally "man linux".

Anyway so far I'm enjoying life on this "Pottering" free distro with things actually working "out of the box".

phil_n
Get two people together and you get 100 opinions, sometimes conflicting. Heck, I often disagree with myself within a minute or two. :confused:
But bottom line people are trying to help with good intention. I find it hard to criticize that. And if you knew the effort that goes into the manual and care to get it right, it is frustrating to the authors and developers that it is often ignored when the answers are there. Nevertheless they try to help with answers in post responses.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Return to “Testimonials”