Why MX Linux is my favorite distro

Here you can post a testimonial about why you like or love MX. Include as much detail and info as you wish.
linexer2016

Re: Why MX Linux is my favorite distro

#21 Post by linexer2016 »

The small size of the user base (as compared to Ubuntu) would make it hard for me to use on computers that I give away. But we'll see. I definitely like the spirit of the MX community.
Ditto to Gordon's welcome Bart. I have a friend who also makes computers available for little or no cost to his friends and his experience is a little like yours may be in that it is indeed a bit of a challenge in convincing everyone that MX (or any other Linux platform) is going to suit them like the Windows platforms they may have been familiar with. That said, and as Gordon said, MX is growing. It is indeed growing in both adoption and numbers on this forum (28 on Distrowatch at last check and heading for 6,000 in forum numbers). I believe that with the advantages that Linux brings to the table particularly in today's computing world and with such great distros as MX, Linux generally can't help but progress.

azrielle

#22 Post by azrielle »

27 on Distrowatch--6 months, 50 for 12 months; but that doesn't convey the whole picture. MX16 began on Distrowatch back on December 13th, at the very bottom (somewhere around 237 for both), because the previous iterations were lumped in with AntiX. That's only 5-1/2 months! That's one helluva climb.
Lenovo T430 i5/3320m 8GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 180GB SSD/128GB mSATA
Lenovo X230 i7/3520m 12GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 500GB SSD 480GB mSATA
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB MX21Xfce/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo 11e Celeron n3150 4GB MX19/Fedora30Games 128GB SSD

skidoo

#23 Post by skidoo »

The small size of the user base (as compared to Ubuntu) would make it hard for me to use on computers that I give away.
I hear ya, but I've steered more than a dozen folks (most of 'em noobs) to using MX, without regrets. AFAIK, only one of 'em has ever registered here at the forum; his help request was quickly resolved. Seldom do the other folks pester me with questions/helpme's, so I guess that indicates troublefree operation.

BTW: What's the latest guestimate, total number of MX16 installs?

Jerry3904
Administrator

#24 Post by Jerry3904 »

Who the heck knows? The only numbers I have are for downloads (SourceForge and torrents only), which ATM are about 55,000.

Missing are all the other mirrors, and of course what appears to be a significant multiplier effect, since we have seen numerous accounts of people passing it to friends and relatives.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

skidoo

#25 Post by skidoo »

Missing are all the other mirrors, and
Aye, as well as iso copies retrieved via bittorrent...

xali

#26 Post by xali »

i like mx because it is debian stable based and user friendly like linux mint. what could be better? well , an improved mx... and rolling release perhaps?

richb
Administrator

#27 Post by richb »

MX has made it easy and will continue to "roll" within a single version of Debian, but roll to the next, Jessie to Stretch, unlikely.

And an approximate mid-year release is now being worked on that current MX 16 users can migrate to with all Jessie upgrades and native MX improvements.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#28 Post by rokytnji.1 »

The Linux users who talk about how much they love Linux because you can customize everything frankly baffle me....
Understandable. We all can't be rocket scientists. Some of have to learn the hard way. Tweaking our install is part of the learning process. You have to start some where when you are on the bottom looking up.

Lack of Empathy is what baffles me from techs that prefer to strut around with High Hats. Like the world evolves around them.

Just beating a dead horse I saw laying around on this thread. :cool:

richb
Administrator

#29 Post by richb »

The Linux users who talk about how much they love Linux because you can customize everything frankly baffle me....
I would put it a different way. I want to have control over my system, the way it looks, the way I start apps, the way I can get software. You do not get this with Windows. You can call that customization, if so
personnalisation longue durée.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

xali

#30 Post by xali »

richb wrote:MX 16 users can migrate to with all Jessie upgrades and native MX improvements.
So we are expecting more polished stuff? good to hear that. And i like native mx features, i forgot that before. In fact i wonder why other distros don't do similar things.

Return to “Testimonials”