Why MX Linux is my favorite distro

Here you can post a testimonial about why you like or love MX. Include as much detail and info as you wish.
phil_n

Re: Why MX Linux is my favorite distro

#41 Post by phil_n »

I realized after I posted that that it might be taken as referring to here but that wasn't meant. Just a general thought after many years of trying to use linux (like go to help in an app and all that's there is "About"). Here - I posted a question one day and got an answer the same day that fixed my problem - can't beat that. Think I'll hang around for a while.

Oh, I just noticed the manual today. I usually ignore FOSS manuals (google is usually quicker/better) as it seems a number of programmers are not really interested in documentation but yours does look more comprehensive and complete than most. I will make more effort to look there in the future.

On a sign the other day: Talking to yourself is OK, answering yourself is OK, it's when you start asking yourself to repeat what you just said that might be a problem.

phil_n

richb
Administrator

#42 Post by richb »

Thanks for clarifying. I mis-interpreted your post. We are not immune to mis-information here either. But an effort is made to clean it up and posts do sometimes ramble and get off topic. I hope the difference is that we try to recognize these counter productive impulses and take appropriate action with a velvet glove rather than an iron fist. :comfort:

Welcome to the Forum!
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

linexer2016

#43 Post by linexer2016 »

take appropriate action with a velvet glove rather than an iron fist.
At the risk of sounding offensive and unappreciative of a) a wonderful distro and b) a great forum, I can't let it go by without saying that my feeling about some of the responses to the posts in the wider forum are indeed less than "velvet glove". Yesterday I saw a post from a newbie forum member viewtopic.php?f=127&t=42530&p=418672&hi ... ly#p418672 who resolved to quit for the night clearly because he/she claimed that the response he/she received was "not too friendly". This to me is a disappointing development in the forum because from the time I joined the forum in December 2016, I had found the forum anything but non-friendly. I can't nevertheless do other than conclude that things have taken somewhat a turn since then with recent notions that the forum is/should be the last resort for answers. I don't understand that for I have always thought that a strong forum should be one of the first places for answers. Yes, I understand completely that developers, administrators and veteran posters might well feel at times that new migrators/adopters of MX and Linux in general could and even should get their answers first by research. However, you might see that this is in and of itself a little contrary to the overall idea of a forum that is devoted to a particular Linux distro that would do well by itself and its members by acknowledging that new adopters can't be expected to know a) "best practice" in the use of the forum (and I have posted on this in another thread) and b) that they necessarily are equipped to ask the right questions elsewhere than the forum to ensure they get the correct answers.

richb
Administrator

#44 Post by richb »

Well of course you are entitled to your opinion as is everyone. I was referring to admins and moderators, but you may disagree with that as well. We often refer people to the manual, wiki and Google searches, not part of the forum to get information from whatever legitimate source they can. So the leadership group does not believe the forum is the only source of information

Secondly in any group of people there will be some who are dissatisfied with answers to posts. Respectfully, someone dissatisfied and choosing not to participate, I believe, is not indicative of a change in policy or a development, as this has happened throughout the history of the MX Forum and the old Mepislovers Forum on rare occasions.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

linexer2016

#45 Post by linexer2016 »

Respectfully, someone dissatisfied and choosing not to participate, I believe, is not indicative of a change in policy or a development,
Hello Richb, I am not sure if I am reading your words here as meaning that I don't participate? If that is your meaning then I am quite bemused. I am approaching some 300 posts since December 2016 and so what other participation is needed? Again, I come from the perspective that a forum is there (or should be I believe) to coalesce and collate the many and varied needs of its members. Thank you nevertheless for respecting my opinion(s).

richb
Administrator

#46 Post by richb »

I was NOT referring to you, but in general those who have chosen to leave the Forum over the years.

But this highlights another problem, the mis-interpretation of the written word.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

Robg

#47 Post by Robg »

I also like Debian but never like the installation process, I think that's one of the main reasons I never really used it

Recently I installed Debian 8 on a external hard drive and I was surprised how fast it really was. Mx16 is also very fast so I decided to give it a try and like it very much

I run a number of different distribution including Ubuntu, Ubuntu mate, Fedora25, Manjaro, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, but they don't come close to the speed like MX16. I know it may be a little lighter then Ubuntu but still it's a great os

richb
Administrator

#48 Post by richb »

Probably lighter than Ubuntu out of the box, but of course you can add a multitude of packages. Check out the Package Installer in MX Tools.
Our packagers also take requests, or on their own, packaging from Stretch with updated applications. They also make available applications not in the Debian repos upon request.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

linexer2016

#49 Post by linexer2016 »

this highlights another problem, the mis-interpretation of the written word
Yes richb I concur. I think we've now covered off on our discussion well enough so we should move on I think you would agree.
Best wishes.

i_ri

#50 Post by i_ri »

hello jhsu802701
hi Robg. Our attention has gone to the comparison of installers that You began to write. I think mx installer is the best in the business. Will You continue writing with your concluding impressions of the mx installer considering your experience with the named nine systems, and probably more, that you have installed.? Thanks for joining mx.

Return to “Testimonials”