-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX 14.4 - It just works!!!

Here you can post a testimonial about why you like or love MEPIS. Include as much detail and info as you wish.
BitJam
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: MX 14.4 - It just works!!!

#31 Post by BitJam » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:47 pm

Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#32 Post by Stevo » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:53 pm

The remastered KDE for April should be there in a day or so. Edit: Already there!

They will be here for a couple days, too:

ISO: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxE7wb ... sp=sharing

md5sum file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxE7wb ... sp=sharing

.sig file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxE7wb ... sp=sharing

rover
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#33 Post by rover » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:52 am

@ lucky9 , i can confirm 100% , that my first live disk was the problem all along . I downloaded a fresh ISO , burned it to a new disk ,and as expected my pc booted to the MX-15 desktop with no problem whatsoever.

I should have noticed it sooner . Well , that's a valuable lesson learned !

I really appreciate everyone's input , it really helped me through the proccess of troubleshooting .

Best Regards
Rover

BitJam
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#34 Post by BitJam » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:54 am

@rover, I would like to know how I can reproduce the error you encountered in order to help other people troubleshoot this error in the future (even though it might be a very unlikely error). I tried replacing /antiX/vmlinux and /antiX/initrd.gz (the two files called by the bootloader) with empty files and I got specific error messages on the screen. I also tried removing /antiX/vmlinuz and /antiX/initrd.gz and this time I got error messages directly in the bootloader. I don't know what I need to do in order to get only a blank screen after pressing <Enter> in the bootloader.

Can you show me the contents of the bad dvd?

I thought the only possible answer was a bad dvd but since I couldn't reproduce the same error condition I wasn't sure what was going on.
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

watsoccurring
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#35 Post by watsoccurring » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:24 am

Thanks Stevo and Bitjam for remasters.

Stevo on the KDE download it would not boot:

Code: Select all

gfxboot.c32:not a COM32R image
Hit TAB then typed "live" then hit enter and it booted.

Placed it on two partitions.
Rebooted and

Code: Select all

Configured directory for incoming file does not exist
Please make sure directory" / home/demo/downloads" exists or configure it with blueman services
Will have more time later, thanks again to teams for everything

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#36 Post by Stevo » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:19 pm

Weird--the real download directory on the Live session is "/home/demo/Downloads".

The hits I get for the first problem is that the Live USB might have been created with an older syslinux than what's on the ISO: i.e., what MX 15 has at the moment. So maybe an older version of unetbootin was used.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#37 Post by kmathern » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:45 pm

I think the 'gfxboot.c32: not a COM32R image' problem was covered by notes 3 & 4 here: http://www.mepiscommunity.org/download-links#Notes
3. If on a Linux base, be sure to upgrade unetbootin, syslinux, and extlinux to the most recent versions.

4. If your USB starts but leaves you with an error message: "gfxboot.c32: not a COM32R image" you need to type the word live at the prompt in the next line in order to boot. Reformatting the USB and reinstalling the ISO should remove the error. If not, try a different USB.
MX-14 has upgrades for the items in note 3, but if not upgraded you get what's mentioned in note 4.

watsoccurring
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#38 Post by watsoccurring » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:48 pm

My problem was solved.
I did use an up-to date unetbootin but when I first saw the remaster was available I was using a partition and Win7 .
So I used the original download plus rufus, re-installed on the sdc disk and it booted and updated perfect.
In my rush I should have re-visited the manual.
Thanks for the help.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#39 Post by Stevo » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback--let us know how you like the KDE remaster and how it could be improved!

rover
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#40 Post by rover » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:52 am

@ BitJam i remember that your name was mentioned , as a contact ,in the fatal error message . I will try to describe it , as best as i can , because , no matter how i tried yesterday i could not replicate it , and i don't know if there is a way to take a screen shot at this state ( is there ?).

I have taken screen shots of the two live disks , when loaded to my windows XP installation . Screen shots 1 and 2 come from the original live disk. Screen shot 4 from the fresh disk i made yesterday .

What i did , is to go in the BIOS settings and set the disk as a boot device , exit . The pc booted from the disk ,to the first screen where you choose the kernel , i choose PAE( for my machine ) ,then boot sequence started .

After 5 to 6 lines of boot messages , the process was interrupted , i got the " fatal error message " " no AntiX files found " followed by a number of dev/sd parameters( like dev/sda1 ...sda2.... sdb5.. sdb6 and so on ) and your name listed as a contact on free forum website (if i remember correctly).

Then the sequence ended with a " press p to power off or r to reboot " message .

My first disk was created on a Windows 10 laptop , using the built in tool , my original ISO was downloaded from torrent , the ISO i used yesterday , was directly downloaded (from Crete).

After your message , i took the time to check all my live disks . I found another two disks with the same problem , one Windows , one Linux . Since all the live disks i have , were created on the same laptop , and out of seven three were faulty the problem lies on bad disks , and has nothing to do with the ISO .

I hope this information can help you , i will keep trying to replicate the problem , and provide you with as much information as i can .

Best Regards
Rover
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Testimonials”