-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX 14.4 - It just works!!!

Here you can post a testimonial about why you like or love MEPIS. Include as much detail and info as you wish.
rover
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

MX 14.4 - It just works!!!

#1 Post by rover » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:48 am

Greetings to everyone in the community !!!!!
This is the only way i can describe my experience with MX 14.4 , after three months of installing , and using it ,as a daily driver on a Dell Inspron 910 ,that used to run Windows XP.
It is my first ever Linux distro , i 've been a windows user , and my experience in computing ,until now has been basic , at best.

The fact that i was able to , successfully, install ,setup,and maintain this machine is a testament to the work you guys did .
Let alone the fact that it's user is a relative with even less computer skills .
Using this little laptop had become painfull , almost unusable ,but now it's a tool that can get all the tasks , my relative needs , done.

During the three month period i encountered a few issues , but looking around the forum , re-reading the manual and the wiki , and watching Dolphin_Orale's excellent tutorials , i was able to address them , and on the plus side i've gained valuable knowledge .

So let me THANK everyone on the MX team for your work , Anticapitalista , Dolphin_Oracle , and anyone that may escape me !!!

Best Regards
Rover

Gordon Cooper
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: MX 14.4 - It just works!!!

#2 Post by Gordon Cooper » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:36 am

Welcome to the forum Rover. Yes, MX works and works well. Yell for help whenever you need it, this group has many friendly people.

Gordon.
Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
Primary OS : MX-17.1 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.
Dell9010, MX-17.1, Win7

KernSpy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Post by KernSpy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:41 am

Welcome .. Rover :)
Acer Aspire M3800, Intel Pentium dual-core E6600, Intel 4 Series Graphics, Intel Audio, 4 GB Ram, XFCE 4, MX15 Fusion. Lenovo G560 Laptop - 4G Ram, Dual-Pentium, MX15 Fusion.

eugen-b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by eugen-b » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:02 am

I doesn't just work. MX-14 also doesn't prevent you from making it work even better! Compared with Debian it is so much more customizable and enhancable!!
So, I bet you will keep to be surprised how good it is for a long time!
Welcome!
MX-14 on a Via Eden 1GHz CPU thin client, 3GB RAM, Via VX800 chipset, Via Chrome9 HC GPU, 32GB M.2 SSD;
btrfs with @ and @home subvolumes for MX-14;
added @antiX and @antiXhome subvolumes and copied antix 13.1 base into them, adjusting Grub from MX-14.

rover
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#5 Post by rover » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:30 am

@Gordon Cooper,@Kernspy,@eugen-b
I appreciate the welcome , thank you guys !
@eugen-b
You make a good point . There are several layers in MX-14 , that i haven't discovered yet , but i'm looking forward to.

It is so refreshing to use a piece of software that does exactly what it is supposed to do .

Best Regards
Rover

entropyfoe
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by entropyfoe » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:37 pm

Welcome Rover !
The forum and all its helpful experts are a real asset.
No bad condescending attitudes here like some other distro's forums.

You like MX 14.4... I am really looking forward to MX 15.
You will see the development process in action with the testing of the betas.

It is fun.
Asus Prime 370X-Pro
AMD Ryzen 1600X (6 cores @ 3.6 GHz)
16 Gig DDR4 3200 (G Skill)
Nvidia -MSI GeForce GT 710 fanless
Samsung 960 NVMe SSD nvme0n1 P1,P2, and P3=MX-17.1, P4=antiX-17
1TB SSD sda1= Data, 2TB WD =backups
on-board ethernet & sound

rover
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: MX 14.4 - It just works!!! (Update )

#7 Post by rover » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:22 am

It's been a while since i first visited the forum ,so first of all , i'd like to wish the best for everyone on the MX team , and everyone in the forums .
Unforunately ,i am unemployed ,for about a year , so you can understand that my priority is to remove myself from the 26%(officially , but in reality about 30%) of unemployed workforce in my country.
Sad news aside , i'd like to share my second attempt in using MX-14 , on an old desktop (AMD Athlon and ATI graphics card), that i use as a media center.

I made an effort to use MX-15 but unforunatelly it never booted past the welcome screen( I suppose due to the old graphics card ) so i used my MX-14 live cd , and it booted succesfully !!!
I made a simple setup with xbmc and steam on a persistence USB , installed updates , and then made a snapshot CD to use as installation media (reason for this beeing i don't have a steady cabled connection due to my bad finances :frown: , and also learning the above proccess) .

It worked like a charm , so now i am using it for about a month with no problems whatsoever :happy:

I also updated my sister's Dell Insiron 910 to MX-15 , the new system is even better , more polished , and easier to use .

All the above , are a testament to your work guys , and once again i cannot begin to thank you enough !
Hopefully , my next post will be on a happier note , but until then i extend my best whishes to everyone .
Best Regards
Rover

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Post by Adrian » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:51 am

I made an effort to use MX-15 but unforunatelly it never booted past the welcome screen( I suppose due to the old graphics card )
Do you get an error message it it gets stuck at some point? Some things are fixable... there are different options for older video cards and it might be another issues that might require you to add a delay at boot time.

rover
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#9 Post by rover » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:06 am

Adrian ,thank you for your interest .

When i tried to use the MX-15 (32 bit) live cd , it showed the first screen , where you choose between the pae and the non pae cernel , and then , regardlless of the cernel i choose , the screen goes dark and the system never boots to the desktop.

That pc uses an AMD ATHLON LE-1640 and an ATI RS 740 graphics card . I also want to mention that the MX 14.4 installation ,i used eventually , is giving an "update bios " message during shutdown , this may rellevant as well .

I hope this information will be helpfull.

Best Regards
Rover

tascoast
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#10 Post by tascoast » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:40 am

I find MX-14 great on old, decrepit hardware like my Dell that is prone to overheat, and lacking nought for me, in comparison to MX-15.
Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM, MX-16 RC1/MX14.04/MX-15.01/antiX16(64-bit)-Aspire One D255E 1.66GHz, 512KB cache, 1GB RAM-MX-15.01/W10

Return to “Testimonials”