Welcome!

Please read this important information about Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.
Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 Final release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

MX-14.3 Installation

Here you can post a testimonial about why you like or love MEPIS. Include as much detail and info as you wish.
lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

MX-14.3 Installation

#1 Postby lucky9 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:20 pm

I recently had Cable Internet installed after using a 3G Modem for years. I have a NetBook (Acer D-250, Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD) that I wanted to use Wireless to access the 'Net with.

I've used antiX 13.2 as it's main OS since it came out. MX-14.2 recently (with the Modem). I had to remove Network-Manager to allow Gnome-PPP to use the 3G Modem when I booted MX. I had to use ceni for wireless.

This Netbook came with Windows XP originally and still had a 40 GB partition with it in it. Now it had been years since I'd booted XP. I'm thinking the last time was during the first 2 or 3 months after I'd bought the system. A real waste of space.

I hooked up my External LiteOn Multi-Drive, turned it on and inserted my MX14.3 LiveCD. I had been experimenting with an Ethernet connection on the new Cable Modem/Router. Updating the three operating systems that were on the other three OS partitions. I had installed kubuntu 14.04.2 and Mint 17.1. I took a look at Bridge Linux as a LiveDisk. It's networking left something to be desired in ease of use. Mint has a partition currently. But I doubt that it will be used much and it may not last long as it's 'heavy feeling'. IE: slower than I'd like.

So I blew away the Windows XP partition by installing MX-14.3. I booted the LiveCD and upgraded the mx-installer using the Terminal and apt-get. Then installed. Took the defaults. MX was nice enough to ask if I really wanted to use the Windows partition. Nice touch! But of course I did want that. Rebooted to the installed OS. Opened Synaptic and checked Preferences and Repositories (from long habit). Reloaded. Marked all upgrades and clicked Apply. 178 MB of upgrades.

Opened the MX Package Manager and installed Chrome, Firefox, Netsurf, Qupzilla. Opera wouldn't install with all of them at the same time. Had to install it separately for some reason.

Notice I didn't mention getting online? I'd disconnected the Ethernet Cable before beginning the installation. From the LiveCD I connected wirelessly with one click and entering my Password. Done. Smooth as glass.
I don't think I can express to the devs how much this impresses this old man. I think I can say that there is plenty of need for this type of OS. My Desktop is currently running 14.3 on a test partition. Guess I have some choices to make. Well, not really. Mepis 11 is going to be replaced.

Thank you Jerry3904 for taking this on. Thanks to all the devs. I'll not mention names as I'm not sure I know everyone that's involved. I do know several for sure. It might be nice to have a spot where those names are mentioned.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

megatotoro
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: MX-14.3 Installation

#2 Postby megatotoro » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:39 pm

I especially thank Adrian for the updated snapshot, which let me venture into making my own ones, too. Even though I had never done anything like that before, making my own snapshot and installing it was also extremely easy. Yesterday, I replaced My M11 install with MX at my office...the computer had an Nvidia card so my snapshot didn't run well. But then I ran the tool to install Nvidia drivers (also for the first time) and it solved the problem. Really, thanks a lot to all the hardworking people involved in the project!

GuiGuy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#3 Postby GuiGuy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:41 pm

Yes, MX is a great achievement by all of you.

The icing on this gorgeous cake is Adrian's revised mx-snapshot :number1:

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Postby uncle mark » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:36 pm

lucky9 wrote:Notice I didn't mention getting online? I'd disconnected the Ethernet Cable before beginning the installation. From the LiveCD I connected wirelessly with one click and entering my Password. Done. Smooth as glass.

I don't think I can express to the devs how much this impresses this old man. I think I can say that there is plenty of need for this type of OS. My Desktop is currently running 14.3 on a test partition. Guess I have some choices to make. Well, not really. Mepis 11 is going to be replaced.

Thank you Jerry3904 for taking this on. Thanks to all the devs. I'll not mention names as I'm not sure I know everyone that's involved. I do know several for sure. It might be nice to have a spot where those names are mentioned.

It really is impressive, isn't it? I'm running MX-14 (the first release) on an old XP netbook I was given that would barely pull its own weight with Windows. (This was a clean, relatively "unencumbered" load of XP -- the guy that gave it to me thought it ran okay, all things considered, and he's actually pretty computer savvy.) It runs like a new machine.

I also recently had the opportunity to install it on an antique Latitude D600, Pentium M, 512MB memory, 40G hard drive machine for a client that had assumed the old laptop wasn't worth messing with. (I got that opportunity as almost an afterthought to a desktop configuration job I was being asked to do.) It ran quite well with MX and the 512MB, but when I was able to get my hands on another stick of 1024MB to bring it up to 1.5G, it ran like a scared rabbit.

More recently, I was asked to figure out how to get a production guy in my workplace set up with basic email for cheap. I had an old Sony lappy I'd rescued from the trash heap some time back; with a cheap used hard drive and stick of memory from eBay coupled with a load of MX we were in business. The user didn't even know how to turn one on, but with a five minute tutorial he was off and running.

MX is not normally what I use on my Win-to-Lin conversions (which has nothing to do with MX and everything to do with the user involved), but when I have used it, the reaction has been overwhelmingly positive. Thanks to all that have made it happen and continue to maintain and improve it.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Postby Adrian » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:02 am

Thank you guys, I'm glad you like the snapshot tool, I got a lot of help, most importantly thank you all for being willing to try it.

As for the installation, I'm still amazed how MX installs in less than five minutes when I run it from a flash drive, I have Windows computers at work that don't even finish the booting in that amount of time... such a waste of productivity. Now, since I've kind of finished the snapshot tool I will spend some time customizing a flashdrive for my needs.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Postby lucky9 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:31 pm

I'm going to look into making a snapshot. I've not been as interested as others. Mainly due to lack of perceived need. However, with the snapshot tool as it now is I may well decide I might have a use. I think for showing a finished system setup the way I'd like, it may well be the idea tool.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

megatotoro
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#7 Postby megatotoro » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:01 pm

lucky9 wrote:I'm going to look into making a snapshot. I've not been as interested as others. Mainly due to lack of perceived need. However, with the snapshot tool as it now is I may well decide I might have a use. I think for showing a finished system setup the way I'd like, it may well be the idea tool.

Please give it a try. True, your needs may be different... but in my case, the snapshot tool has saved me a lot of time downloading the packages I need and customizing my new installations. And the best is that the tool is so user friendly that I could make my first snapshot without any trouble. If someone had told me a month ago that soon I'd be making customized versions of a distro, I would have laughed in disbelief.

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Postby uncle mark » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:23 pm

lucky9 wrote:I'm going to look into making a snapshot. I've not been as interested as others. Mainly due to lack of perceived need. However, with the snapshot tool as it now is I may well decide I might have a use. I think for showing a finished system setup the way I'd like, it may well be the idea tool.

I'll be looking into that myself. I want a KDE system I can install for others. So I need to make one for myself, get it all fleshed out and tweaked out like it needs to be, and then I want to be able to take the snapshot and install that system (minus my user particulars) on my victims... er... uhm... customers' machines.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

Return to “Testimonials”