News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Doggone sweet

Here you can post a testimonial about why you like or love MX. Include as much detail and info as you wish.
uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Doggone sweet

Post by uncle mark » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:28 pm

I gotta say, once again I'm impressed.

Today I was given two vintage XP computers to see if I could breath some new life into them. One is a custom built AMD X2 desktop with 1G of DDR2, a SATA drive and an extra slot for memory. The other is a Dell D600 laptop with a Pentium M and 512MB DDR.

I maxxed out the desktop memory at 2G, and will most likely be setting it up with a full blown native KDE distro.

But this laptop... I'm posting from it now with MX. I fully expected it to be slow and sluggish, but again, I'm really impressed by the performance of MX on marginal hardware. Only glitch I've had was no wifi out of the box, but inxi told me it had a BCM4306 and a forum search gave me enough information to formulate a simple fix (which I've posted). Other than putting the Panel at the bottom and laying it out to be more XP-like and a couple other minor tweaks, what they get back on this laptop is going to be pretty much stock MX. And if I can get a deal out of the local repair shop on another 512MB or 1G stick of old used DDR, this thing should fly.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Doggone sweet

Post by uncle mark » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:49 pm

uncle mark wrote:Today I was given two vintage XP computers to see if I could breath some new life into them. One is a custom built AMD X2 desktop with 1G of DDR2, a SATA drive and an extra slot for memory. The other is a Dell D600 laptop with a Pentium M and 512MB DDR.

I maxxed out the desktop memory at 2G, and will most likely be setting it up with a full blown native KDE distro.

But this laptop... I'm posting from it now with MX. I fully expected it to be slow and sluggish, but again, I'm really impressed by the performance of MX on marginal hardware.
And on top of that, the install of MX on the Pentium-M/512MB laptop took about a quarter of the time as the full KDE distro on the X2/2048MB desktop.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

Return to “Testimonials”