News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Full circle after the hairy SolydX UP

Here you can post a testimonial about why you like or love MX. Include as much detail and info as you wish.
asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Full circle after the hairy SolydX UP

Post by asqwerth » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:35 am

Hoo boy.

I'd never really had any issues with the SolydX UPs before, so was over-confident and initiated the Oct UP without checking on my backup. I thought I had done one after the July UP, but turns out that backup was made just before that.

Lots of issues after the update and reboot. It kind of worked, but was missing icons, the settings windows of various programs were a total grey blank within the window frame, etc.

The good thing is it finally made me change my controlling grub from SolydX to MX14, something I was thinking of doing eventually, after I moved SolydX over to the Testing repos.

Anyway, I had to restore my old backup and then go through a massive 2 UPs' worth of updates. The whole process took an hour. Seems fine this time round, fingers crossed.

While the UP concept sounds good in theory, in practice the whole procedure is full of potential potholes. With such a huge number of package updates accumulated over months, so many things could go wrong. I like my SolydX installation, but I approach each quarterly UP with some worry. I never feel like that with Manjaro Stable, also a "managed" rolling distro.

This brings me full circle in a way - I started with Mepis 6.5 on this computer, and for a long time Mepis' legacy grub controlled all other partitions. Mepis 11 died on me (hard drive issues) at a time when it seemed clear that Mepis 12 would never get out of beta (which didn't work for me) so I replaced it with SolydX. It took over controlling grub. Earlier this year I installed MX14 on another partition and now it's back as my controlling distro.

I should have done this earlier frankly. I like all my other distros, but the lighter quick-booting ones are more sparse and minimalistic, while the heavier/full featured ones don't boot up as quickly as MX. MX is the best of both worlds, and is fast.

And if any of the rolling distros break, I have MX to pick up the pieces, no fanfare but completely trustworthy.

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Full circle after the hairy SolydX UP

Post by uncle mark » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:13 am

The 10-15 UP install was uneventful on my SolydK-64 laptop install. I waited for a few days and perused the Solyd forums and another techie group with some Solyd users before I took the plunge.

I'm waiting to see what happens after Jessie goes stable and a new stable based SolydK is released. That may end up being my desktop's daily driver, replacing my good ol' M11. MX would then be used as my travelin' OS on my underpowered laptop.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by asqwerth » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:30 am

uncle mark wrote:... I waited for a few days and perused the Solyd forums.....
So did I. Didn't seem like it was going to be problematic, which is why I was so confident and jumped in after 3 days.

Previously, I waited 1 or 2 weeks. Oh well, live and learn.

I'm not going to move to Testing immediately. I want to see how the transition is handled, and how well the new Solyd Stable works out. If the Testing edition has enough users behind it, I'll move my SolydX to the Testing repos in due course.

I'll still have MX and Kanotix in Stable.

DBeckett
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by DBeckett » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:56 am

I used SolydK through a couple of updates, being impressed and liking it. Then an update totally broke it. I confess to having little patience these days with such events, so I quickly gave up and retreated to pure Jessie and Debian stable as my mainstays.
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, 8G, Radeon HD6570

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by uncle mark » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:16 pm

I'm not fully sold on it yet. I've used the Home/testing version on a couple laptop machines because I had trackpad issues with the stable based Business Edition. But once Jessie goes stable and they put out a new Jessie based Business Edition, I'll be looking at it seriously. You know me, I need my full featured GUIy KDE and need it fully supported from the get-go. Never have had any luck with making stock Debian suit me. And yes, I suppose I should at least give putting a layering of KDE on top of MX a chance, but I just haven't gotten the gumption to do it yet.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

whell
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by whell » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:16 pm

Twice I tried it, and twice Solydx broke after an update. Won't be going back any time soon, especially since MX is such a delight to run.

outlaw
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by outlaw » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:49 am

I have two problems after 10-15 UP:

1) CTL-D is required to proceed with startup.

2) I have to start the network up manually from a terminal window after rebooting.

My experience with a rolling distro has been interesting but I will be returning to the MEPIS (MX) fold
when a new version is released after jessie moves to the stable branch.

Tom

malspa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by malspa » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:58 am

whell wrote:Twice I tried it, and twice Solydx broke after an update.
I've seen too many comments like this. That's why I stay away from Testing-based distros that use update packs.

ko
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by ko » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:48 pm

I have used SolydK and SolydX on my testsystem since around october last year until may.
While the first monthly UP's went well for me I could see that the amount of pre-release work involved in making and pre-testing these monthly UP's was excessive for the small dev. team.
The change over to quarterly UP's early 2014 did not really work out as intended and 4-5 months ago I decided to drop both SolydK and SolydX.
Ko Bros Linux User #312596.  MX14.4, MX14.3, Mepis 12, Debian 7, antiX 15, Peppermint 5...and sometimes Win7

BurtHulland
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by BurtHulland » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:58 pm

I also tried SolydK, and had problems with it. Then I tried MX14, but found it inadaquate in several respects. After looking at many distros, I am now using Kwheezy; it has been satisfactury (though not as good as Mepis 12 was while it worked - but the lastest updates created problems with it. The worst one was that GNUcash - which I have long used to keep track of my finances - would not run with it anymore).
MAIN: AMD Athlon II 270 64-bit dual core; 3400mhz; 4 gig RAM; nVidia; 1600x900; 1 Hard disk, 459gb
BACK(up): AMD Athlon II 250 64-bit dual core; 3000mhz; 4 gig RAM; nVldla; 1600x900; 1 Hard disk, 466gb
Wireless network

Return to “Testimonials”