-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Installed Mepis on Mom's computer

Here you can post a testimonial about why you like or love MEPIS. Include as much detail and info as you wish.
realitykid
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Installed Mepis on Mom's computer

#1 Post by realitykid » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:33 am

As the title says, I have successfully installed Mepis 8.5 on my mother's computer. It's set up as a dual boot along side Windows XP, just in case she needs it. I'm gunna go about teaching her a few stuff in the morning and then will be gone for a week. This way she might be able to figure out a few things on her own. Like I said, Windows is still there if she finds out she needs it for something (like printing). And of course for my sister.

One step closer to :linuxlove: :)

I'll keep you all updated if you wish.
Desktop (32bit):
SimplyMEPIS 8.5
P4 2.4GHz (or 1.2GHz running with hyper-threading) - 1gb DDR-Ram - 40GB IDE HDD x2
Crappy Old Video Card from the 90s!

Laptop (64bit):
Linux Mint 10
Intel Core i3 M 350 2.27GHz (dual core and hyper-threading) - 4GB DDR 3 RAM - 320GB HDD

bowlkook
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#2 Post by bowlkook » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:35 am

It'll be interesting to see how non technical users get on with Mepis. :linuxlove:

janthree
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

It has been my experience...

#3 Post by janthree » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:42 am

It has been my experience that the less someone knows about computers the more likely they are to embrace Linux. Of course, technical users select Linux on their own once they understand the problems with Windows. It is the middle ground where Linux loses...people who are familiar enough with Windows to feel like they know what they are doing. The least little difference between Linux and Windows is magnified into a "weakness" of Linux. I once had someone tell me that Linux never works, that's why they stick with Windows.

janthree
I came to Casablanca for the waters.
The waters? What waters? We're in the desert.
I was misinformed.

realitykid
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by realitykid » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:48 am

bowlkook wrote:It'll be interesting to see how non technical users get on with Mepis. :linuxlove:
I truthfully don't expect this to last long. However, I figured it couldn't hurt. So I got her permission to install it. She hasn't used it yet, but it's about 8:48 in the morning here in Oregon.
Desktop (32bit):
SimplyMEPIS 8.5
P4 2.4GHz (or 1.2GHz running with hyper-threading) - 1gb DDR-Ram - 40GB IDE HDD x2

Laptop (64bit):
Linux Mint 10
Intel Core i3 M 350 2.27GHz (dual core and hyper-threading) - 4GB DDR 3 RAM - 320GB HDD

GoManutd
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#5 Post by GoManutd » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:03 pm

from my experience as an end-user tech support provider, the one thing i found to be the biggest stumbling block to a user adopting new technology is overcoming the unknown.

the more someone was used to a particular technology, the harder, usually, it was to get that person to use something else.

at times, it wouldn't even be a new technology, rather simply changing the desktop. i've lost count at the number of times i've given someone a new pc, with the same os, and they're lost because the desktop icon for their favorite app wasn't there.

so, as bowlkook said, it'll be interesting to see.

realitykid
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by realitykid » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:34 pm

GoManutd wrote:from my experience as an end-user tech support provider, the one thing i found to be the biggest stumbling block to a user adopting new technology is overcoming the unknown.

the more someone was used to a particular technology, the harder, usually, it was to get that person to use something else.

at times, it wouldn't even be a new technology, rather simply changing the desktop. i've lost count at the number of times i've given someone a new pc, with the same os, and they're lost because the desktop icon for their favorite app wasn't there.

so, as bowlkook said, it'll be interesting to see.
Well, with my mom, that may be the case. But, I'm sure she'll get along just fine with a little bit of help here and there. But she usually just browses the web or pays her bills online. So, I'm not too worried. But, I still don't expect Mepis to stay on her computer. That way I don't get disappointed IF it doesn't work for her.
Desktop (32bit):
SimplyMEPIS 8.5

Laptop (64bit):
Linux Mint 10

j2mcgreg
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#7 Post by j2mcgreg » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:04 pm

@realitykid:
Well, with my mom, that may be the case. But, I'm sure she'll get along just fine with a little bit of help here and there. But she usually just browses the web or pays her bills online. So, I'm not too worried. But, I still don't expect Mepis to stay on her computer. That way I don't get disappointed IF it doesn't work for her.
Don't be surprised if the contrary proves true and she embraces it. My 87 yr old mother has been using Linux for years. She made the switch when I explained to her that this Windows error message :

This computer has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

really meant that there was a memory leak either in Win ME or in one of the applications and that her machine was fine and that she had done nothing wrong. I further added at the time that the phrasing of the error message was typical of Microsoft's inability to admit fault. When I ask her what she likes most about Linux she says she likes the way that it is logically laid out and that it works every time.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Post by lucky9 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:31 pm

I came into possession of a system based on a PentiumIV-1600 about four years ago. Cleaned it up and wiped the disks. It had two, a 120GB and an 80GB 7200 RPM. The 80GB was newer (I'd bought it myself) so it was the boot drive.

I installed Mepis 6.5 and Sabayon 3.x. I then imaged the sda drive to sdb. This system was given to a 50-year-old friend that had not even been able to answer if she knew what Linux was.

She had used Windows98SE and WindowsXP. E-mail, browsing, online yahoo games were all she needed. I walked her through the use of the things she needed, emphasized Where the instructions were.
I got two calls for help. She had lost her network once and her video once. On the phone we got both problems resolved.

The only problems were when Yahoo changed something in their games. Usually it was a Java thing. Normal upgrades she handled w/o problems.
I upgraded, sometimes cleanly, sometimes saving /home through Mepis 8.0.x. That system is still going.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Post by joany » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:54 pm

janthree wrote:It has been my experience that the less someone knows about computers the more likely they are to embrace Linux.
I agree. A casual user like realitykid's mom, who only uses her computer to surf the web and send email, will have no problems using Linux, provided the system is set up properly beforehand. That's because the look 'n feel of the modern Linux desktop is very similar to that of Windows, or OS X for that matter. On the other hand, people with more extensive computer knowledge want to get "under the hood," and they're sometimes frustrated by how differently Linux and Windows operate.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

lost_soul
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#10 Post by lost_soul » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:09 pm

I've installed it for a couple non-technically savvy people, that don't get into gaming and were tired of getting blasted with rogue anti-viruses or malware. They don't use their system for much other than browsing youtube or checking e-mail and such but all of them have caught on quite nicely.

I've found so long as their willing to give it an honest shot, and the system will do what they want it to. As long as you offer them some support so they don't feel completely stranded. The majority of people will end up very glad they switched.

Return to “Testimonials”