-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Why Mepis

Here you can post a testimonial about why you like or love MEPIS. Include as much detail and info as you wish.
PeterRidgers
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Why Mepis

#1 Post by PeterRidgers » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:23 am

A new laptop with 2 GB ram and Windows 7 professional for less than £500 - what can possibly be wrong with that? Well not a lot but what if you don't have £500 or even £100 but can get a cheap second hand laptop that is perhaps 10 years old.

Try Mepis or Antix and you will have a modern distro that will squeeze all the power it can get from the ageing hardware and probably won't cause you grief searching for obscure hardware drivers.

I have Mepis 8.5 installed on a Dell Inspiron 2500 with 384MB ram. This sucker is 10 years old (originally sold with Windows ME!!!) but it is reliable and fast - not dual core pentium with 4GB Ram fast but fast enough for word processing, browsing, a bit of photo editing and playing music on Amarok. And don't you just love the feel of a solid laptop with a good old clicky keyboard!! And the cost - it was a throwaway from a client who just bought a new dual core pentium laptop with 4GB ram and Windows 7 Pro. I think I got the better deal!!

Peter

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#2 Post by joany » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:01 am

You may want to check out this announcement about a special kernel for older hardware.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by Adrian » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:23 am

I think I got the better deal!!
Definitely, you'll also pay less in maintenance (time wasted with viruses and possible money to have somebody fix your laptop).

Return to “Testimonials”