-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

What a distro!!!

Here you can post a testimonial about why you like or love MEPIS. Include as much detail and info as you wish.
PeterRidgers
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

What a distro!!!

#1 Post by PeterRidgers » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:40 pm

With apologies to those who are fed up with newbies raving about mepis but - wow!!!

Sorry - my home network has 3 linux servers and two Fedora 13 workstations with virtual machines holding all windows varieties and a smattering of linux distros (ubuntu, mandriva, ...). Lately a client gave me an Inspiron 2500 laptop - 384 MB ram and windows ME - this is an OLD Pentium III machine with a Xircom pcmcia ethernet card. What the heck, I thought, and got out a Simply Mepis 7 cd.

Heck, the install ran like a dream and KDE 3.5 is fast! So then I thought "How will it handle an update - not a new install an update - to 8.5" Good grief - it ate it up - 1 hour later it was running KDE 4!!! It recognises and uses the network card and the legacy usb slots as well as an ancient Konig USB wifi card I found at the back of a drawer.

This laptop was scheduled for the scrapheap - now, if I can just figure out a way to increase the screen from 800 * 600 to 1024 * 768 I would use it as my main portable.

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#2 Post by Adrian » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:48 pm

now, if I can just figure out a way to increase the screen from 800 * 600 to 1024 * 768 I would use it as my main portable.
One trick would be to start the Live CD and try F3 and select 1024x768 if it complies then use MEPIS X config tool to install X config and you are good to go, if it doesn't do the trick then you might need to download the driver for your video card (can't guess what you use)

:welcome: to MEPIS

GuiGuy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#3 Post by GuiGuy » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:17 pm

Welcome to Mepislovers, Peter.

How did you do the update from 7.0 to 8.5? I thought one had to do a full install rather than an update.

If the screen is capable of 1024x768 you should be able to get it with the live-cd as Adrian says.

lost_soul
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by lost_soul » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:19 pm

Welcome to the community Peter!

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by joany » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:03 pm

PeterRidgers -

I'm very impressed that you were able to upgrade from SM 7.0 to SM 8.5. That was no small accomplishment, and it shows you really know your way around Linux! Many people who try MEPIS for the first time already have extensive Linux backgrounds like yourself. Their level of expertise really adds a lot to the ML community. We hope to hear more from you down the road!
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

PeterRidgers
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Upgrade 7 To 8.5

#6 Post by PeterRidgers » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:54 am

Cards on table time folks - how did I manage the upgrade? I cheated! I did not have time to work out how so I just blindly followed the advice for upgrade without re-install from 8 to 8.5 -that's why I was so amazed it worked.

The advice I followed was in http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/ ... ade_How-To - all power and congrats to Adrian, now there is a Mepis expert if you need one!

Peter

Acesabe
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#7 Post by Acesabe » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:05 am

Glad you are happy to have found Mepis Peter - welcome to Mepislovers!

For your screen resolution, Googling indicates you have an integrated Intel graphics card, if so you may have to coax Xorg into giving up a nice 1024x768 display - I remember there being issues with some Intel chipsets and Xorg - not sure if this is still the case with 8.5 or not.

Some more info might be useful here - can you paste the contents (or attach/pastebin.com) of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file for us to see what driver is in place, and what screen resolution is specified.

If this isn't correct - following the procedure Adrian mentions above may help.

Better still (possibly) - for older hardware - have you tried Antix - the Mepis spin-off for older machines? It combines the solid base of Mepis, with more up to date package versions and two light weight desktop environments. You think Mepis fast - you wait till you try Antix!! May well also get your screen res right ootb...

http://antix.mepis.org/index.php/Main_Page

Return to “Testimonials”