-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MEPIS 8.0.15 - excellent distro!

Here you can post a testimonial about why you like or love MEPIS. Include as much detail and info as you wish.
mc2301
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

MEPIS 8.0.15 - excellent distro!

#1 Post by mc2301 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:36 am

I use Linux primarily for testing, media and P2P purposes. Each distro I've installed before was missing something: some were ugly ports of KDE 3.5 (I don't use KDE4 or any other GUI in NIX), some were unstable, some were stable and useful, but obsolete GUI and soft (Backtrack).
I have to confess that for a first time in 3 years of endless formating and installing I feel that I finally found the distribution with provides me with all I need: stability, newest soft, security updates, nice and robust user interface - KDE 3.5.10.

I want to thank Warren Woodford and all the people involved in this beautiful project.

Well done!

jimwilk
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#2 Post by jimwilk » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:03 am

mc2301 wrote:I use Linux primarily for testing, media and P2P purposes. Each distro I've installed before was missing something: some were ugly ports of KDE 3.5 (I don't use KDE4 or any other GUI in NIX), some were unstable, some were stable and useful, but obsolete GUI and soft (Backtrack).
I have to confess that for a first time in 3 years of endless formating and installing I feel that I finally found the distribution with provides me with all I need: stability, newest soft, security updates, nice and robust user interface - KDE 3.5.10.

I want to thank Warren Woodford and all the people involved in this beautiful project.

Well done!
I feel the same way about this distro. I have two outstanding projects to complete with 8.0.15 and then it will be everything that I require for the long haul.

1. I would dearly like to get the Mahjongg3d 0.96 game, that I have used with other distros, working here. I did manage to install the Xandros version and get it going. However, Synaptic reports a broken package which can only be fixed by deleting Mahjongg3D.

2. I have used Remastersys with Kubuntu based Klikit Linux. The developer of Remastersys (Fragadelic) reports that he has made it available for Debian. It would be neat to be able to make a backup copy of Mepis 8.0.15 now that I have got it exactly the way that I need it.

Jim
PCLinuxOS 2011.6 KDE
Linux User # 409991
Windows free since 2005

Brooko
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by Brooko » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:24 am

Jim

If it's the mahjongg3d I think it is (0.96), and you're running 32b, I have a deb for it.

PM me your email addy, and I'll send it sometime tomorrow. It's about 6mb

Can't remember where I got it - but I've hung on to it for the last 2-3 years because my wife loves it. It also runs (windows version) perfectly under wine.

Going to bed early tonight - need sleep :wink:
Desktop - Win 8-64 : Corsair 520HX, P5Q Pro, Q6600 G0 @ 3Ghz, 4Gb DDR2 1066, Asus GTX560 OC, 3xWD 500Gb Sata2, Asus CD/DVD, Logitech Wave Kb, G5, C300 Cam, Audio-gd NFB-12 + LD MKIV + GigaWorks T20.
Netbook - Ubuntu 12.04 64b, Asus 1015PED 2Gb Ram

The Garage
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by The Garage » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:52 am

RE: M8

I like it myself! Still don't look forward to KDE4. [leaning more to xfce when forced to change]

RE: Remastersys

Although I haven't used it for a while [about a year] it installed fine & made a perfectly usable backup of M8 back when I did try it. Not sure if that's still the case.......Back then the installer he used was a bit primitive, but usable.

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#5 Post by eemaestro » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:54 pm

I feel exactly the same about MEPIS 8.0/KDE 3.5.10.

jimwilk
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#6 Post by jimwilk » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:29 am

Brooko wrote:Jim

If it's the mahjongg3d I think it is (0.96), and you're running 32b, I have a deb for it.

PM me your email addy, and I'll send it sometime tomorrow. It's about 6mb

Can't remember where I got it - but I've hung on to it for the last 2-3 years because my wife loves it. It also runs (windows version) perfectly under wine.
Thanks Brooko, the Mahjongg3d installed and is working really well. I used to have it working with Klikit but later versions of the base Kubuntu - after 8.04 resulted in terrible, washed out video. PCLinuxOS wasn't much better in that regard. The D530 machine needed an NVidia display to sort that out. The laptop was just awful. Now, with Mepis 8.0.15, such difficulties are a thing of the past.

Jim
PCLinuxOS 2011.6 KDE
Linux User # 409991
Windows free since 2005

Return to “Testimonials”