-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Installing pipelight on MEPIS 11 (to get Windows Flash 13)

Here people can ask questions concerning how to install or configure games. Anything related to games in MEPIS or linux can be asked here. Also tutorials about this can be posted here.
Silent Observer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Installing pipelight on MEPIS 11 (to get Windows Flash 1

#31 Post by Silent Observer » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:35 pm

Okay, I've removed every trace I can find of Wine as it was installed from the main Debian and daveserver/antiX repos, added the mepiscr main, non-free, and test repos, and I see the same number of wine packages and dependencies I did before; I don't see any obvious way to "enable multi-arch" -- Wine now has a wine64 in addition to the 32-bit which is now wine32; from what I've read, it no longer requires ia32 to run 32-bit Windows objects in 64-bit Linux. The wine I'm being offered appears to be a slightly newer version than I've had on Mepis even with installation from test repos, as might be expected since I don't keep the test repos enabled on Mepis (to avoid unexpected "upgrades").

But without ability to enable multi-arch or i386, I won't be able to get pipelight to install even in antiX. Let me back up the thread a page and check again on the pipelight installation instructions; perhaps their Debian install instructions will work better on a distro derived from a reasonably current Debian.
MEPIS 11 64-bit, MSI P6NGM-L motherboard, Core 2 Quad 9400 2.67 GHz, 4 GiB PC2-5300 RAM, 1 GiB nVidia GT520 on PCI Express x16.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#32 Post by kmathern » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:51 pm

You enable multiarch by adding another architecture, in this case i386

Code: Select all

dpkg --add-architecture i386
Then update the package lists (Reload in Synaptic or run a 'apt-get update')

https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/HOWTO

edit: this would be for antiX13, antiX14, MX14 & Mepis 12, don't try it with Mepis 11.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#33 Post by Stevo » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:05 pm

The MEPIS wine builds are specially patched to work correctly with Pipelight. I get the patchset from the Pipelight site, and it's constantly changing to keep up with Wine. I really doubt a stock Debian build would work with it.

I have a new pipelight version uploading that will require the latest set of patches in our Wine 1.7.19, too.

Installation may require something like

apt-get install -t -s mepis wine
Simulate the install.

apt-get install -t mepis wine
For reals.

Debian's latest wine is 1.6.2--they call the development version wine-unstable, while I still name it "wine". We both have version 1.7.19-1, Debian in Sid, and MEPIS CR in testing.
Last edited by Stevo on Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silent Observer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#34 Post by Silent Observer » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:10 pm

kmathern wrote:You enable multiarch by adding another architecture, in this case i386

dpkg --add-architecture i386
Then update the package lists (Reload in Synaptic or run a 'apt-get update')

https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/HOWTO

edit: this would be for antiX13, antiX14, MX14 & Mepis 12, don't try it with Mepis 11.
I tried that on Mepis 11 way back at the top of the thread -- it just gives an error message. I did find it works fine in antiX 13.2/testing, as did adding the pipelight repo. Unfortunately, when manually working my way down the dependency tree in Synaptic, I found that installing a new enough version of wine-compholio to satisfy pipelight would have removed a bunch of packages, including the antiX Control Centre, antix-cc-full-antix (which I rather need when I run in fluxbox) -- though when I went back to confirm this, it didn't want to remove the Control Centre; apparently that package has to go only if I install compholio in conjunction with something else I had previously marked that pipelight needed. I do note that I have to install either the dev or debug version of wine-compholio to get a new enough version to satisfy pipelight (and I'm only assuming that wine-compholio-dev will work when wine-compholio is called for).
Stevo wrote:The MEPIS wine builds are specially patched to work correctly with Pipelight. I get the patchset from the Pipelight site, and it's constantly changing to keep up with Wine. I really doubt a stock Debian build would work with it.

I have a new pipelight version uploading that will require the latest set of patches in our Wine 1.7.19, too.

Installation may require something like

Simulate the install.

For reals.
I get an error;

E: Option -t requires an argument.
Also, I presume those are the Mepis 12 Wine builds that are so patched; the Wine available in Mepis 11 repos is rather old. Given that pipelight is apparently a moving target on a grand scale, it'd be helpful to those of us who aren't gurus to get a version that will stay put long enough for its depends to catch up and for us to figure out which of a hundred or so versions of Wine we need to get it to work.

I'm just trying to be able to use one browser, not become a bleeding-edge Linux tester...
MEPIS 11 64-bit, MSI P6NGM-L motherboard, Core 2 Quad 9400 2.67 GHz, 4 GiB PC2-5300 RAM, 1 GiB nVidia GT520 on PCI Express x16.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#35 Post by kmathern » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:22 pm

Silent Observer wrote:

Simulate the install.

For reals.

I get an error;

E: Option -t requires an argument.
The repo you want to prefer needs to immediately follow the '-t'

So:
apt-get -t mepis install wine -s
          • or
apt-get install wine -t mepis -s

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#36 Post by Stevo » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:28 pm

Whoops, put the the "-s" after the "mepis". The "-t" stands for target, I think, so we are targeting the mepis repo.

We have wine-1.7.19 in the M11 testing repo, too. It supports the netflix-desktop, and windows flash plus firefox. Pipelight just won't build on M11 because it needs a newer gcc compiler for mingw-64. Pipelight is actually a Windows binary that I'm compiling on Linux, apparently many Windows versions of open-source products are cross-compiled on Linux.

Last time I looked, wine-compholio still needed ia32-libs, which is still in Ubuntu (that may change). I went to a lot of work to change the dependencies for the MEPIS 64-bit version to get rid of the ia32-libs dependencies, too, and so far it seems to be working. :happy:

I was never a fan of adding PPA archives to Debian, anyway. Way too much can go wrong. Getting the debs and installing with gdebi is a preferred method if you have to have Ubuntu packages. In this case, the MEPIS pipelight and wine are going to be the best bet.

Silent Observer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#37 Post by Silent Observer » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:50 pm

Okay, are you saying I can install pipelight in Mepis 11? If so, then the Debian instructions on the pipelight page are completely worthless for Mepis. Since pipelight is a Mepis package, can I just install it (and get the latest bleeding-edge Wine it needs from the Mepis cr test repo)? Because that wine doesn't want to install in 64-bit antiX:

apt-get install -t mepis wine -s
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 wine : Depends: ia32-libs (>= 1.6) but it is not installable
        Depends: lib32asound2 (> 1.0.14) but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
Edit: Okay, I've got Wine 1.7.19 and wine-compholio 1.5.20 installed in Mepis 11. When I enable the jessie repo for pipelight (I can't figure out the format of the wheezy one) I get this on trying to mark pipelight-multi for installation:

pipelight-multi:
  Depends: libc6 (>=2.14) but 2.11.3-4 is to be installed
  Depends: libstdc++6 (>=4.5) but 4.4.5-8 is to be installed
  Depends: wine-compholio (>=1.7.19-1~) but 1.5.20-1mcr110+2 is to be installed

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#38 Post by kmathern » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:40 pm

Silent Observer wrote:
Edit: Okay, I've got Wine 1.7.19 and wine-compholio 1.5.20 installed in Mepis 11. When I enable the jessie repo for pipelight (I can't figure out the format of the wheezy one) I get this on trying to mark pipelight-multi for installation:

pipelight-multi:
  Depends: libc6 (>=2.14) but 2.11.3-4 is to be installed
  Depends: libstdc++6 (>=4.5) but 4.4.5-8 is to be installed
  Depends: wine-compholio (>=1.7.19-1~) but 1.5.20-1mcr110+2 is to be installed
Mepis 11 is squeeze based, I wouldn't expect the wheezy repo to work with it and you're going another release beyond that.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#39 Post by Stevo » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:24 pm

I also suspect that you have the MEPIS 11 community repositories enabled for antix. The correct ones would be the ones for M12. The message about Wine requiring ia32-libs is a tipoff, since the recent Wines for 64 bit M12 that I've done don't require that package, and the M11 versions do.
Okay, are you saying I can install pipelight in Mepis 11?
No, what I said was that I managed to get Wine patched on M11 enough to support Silverlight DRM and netflix-desktop (therefore Netflix) in the Windows Firefox browser. The Windows Flash plugin 13 should also work only in the Windows Firefox in M11, without pipelight. Pipelight requires a newer gcc to compile than is available in M11, so I can't build it there. It will also need a newer gcc set of libraries to run, so you just can't install it on M11 and get it to run.

You have to get the full Flash installer package, not the stub downloader. I get the full package from here:

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flas ... player.exe

on 32 and 64-bit M11, this would be the 32-bit Win Firefox and 32-bit Flash NPAPI (netscape-type) Flash.

Silent Observer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#40 Post by Silent Observer » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:16 am

Stevo wrote:I also suspect that you have the MEPIS 11 community repositories enabled for antix. The correct ones would be the ones for M12. The message about Wine requiring ia32-libs is a tipoff, since the recent Wines for 64 bit M12 that I've done don't require that package, and the M11 versions do.
Okay, are you saying I can install pipelight in Mepis 11?
Aaah. You are correct; would I just change mepis11 to mepis12 in the relevant repo lines in antiX?
No, what I said was that I managed to get Wine patched on M11 enough to support Silverlight DRM and netflix-desktop (therefore Netflix) in the Windows Firefox browser. The Windows Flash plugin 13 should also work only in the Windows Firefox in M11, without pipelight. Pipelight requires a newer gcc to compile than is available in M11, so I can't build it there. It will also need a newer gcc set of libraries to run, so you just can't install it on M11 and get it to run.

You have to get the full Flash installer package, not the stub downloader. I get the full package from here:

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flas ... player.exe

on 32 and 64-bit M11, this would be the 32-bit Win Firefox and 32-bit Flash NPAPI (netscape-type) Flash.
Okay, I see now -- that would do what I want to do, short term (longer term, I think I still need to jump to a rolling distro, and I'm fairly far along at getting KDE running on antiX 13.2 64-bit -- and already familiar enough with antiX to make that my obvious choice). I already have Windows 32-bit Flash and Windows 32-bit Firefox installed in Wine under Mepis 11, but Flash wasn't working for actual apps -- but that was before I upgraded wine to 1.7.19. Damned moving targets... :confused: Given I now have all this stuff upgraded, let me check if Windows Firefox will do what I need (assuming that upgrading Wine after installing Firefox and Flash will upgrade their combined function).

And yes, it appears that Flash 13 (for Windows) is working correctly in Firefox for Windows with the upgraded Wine.

Now, longer term, how can I get pipelight to install in antiX 13.2 64-bit (which will be my main OS once I get it fully functioning)?

Return to “Gamers”