-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Installing pipelight on MEPIS 11 (to get Windows Flash 13)

Here people can ask questions concerning how to install or configure games. Anything related to games in MEPIS or linux can be asked here. Also tutorials about this can be posted here.
kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Installing pipelight on MEPIS 11 (to get Windows Flash 1

#21 Post by kmathern » Sat May 31, 2014 12:47 pm

Silent Observer wrote:
kmathern wrote:Hmm, the pepperflashplugin-nonfree package installed the plugin when I last tried it, but it doesn't today. This is what I'm getting today:
Where are you even finding pepperflashplugin-nonfree? I don't see it in any of the repos I have in MEPIS 11.
I apologize for confusing you. I'm using MX14, so it's in the Wheezy repos (actually the wheezy-backports repos). I doubt that the pepperflashplugin-nonfree package will ever be in the Squeeze repos.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#22 Post by kmathern » Sat May 31, 2014 12:56 pm

Silent Observer wrote:An in related news, there doesn't seem to be any way to download a .deb of chromium except through debian repos -- which means if the version that shows in squeeze repos is too out of date, I may not be able to get a new enough version of chromium to even see if Pepper Flash will work in MEPIS 11. I'll try enabling a testing repo and see if there's a reasonably current version of chromium there...
I think in squeeze the package was called 'chromium-browser' instead of 'chromium'. There's a very old chromium-browser package in squeeze (https://packages.debian.org/squeeze/chromium-browser) version 6.0.472.63~r59945, but I doubt that pepperflash works with it. The google-chrome-stable package started using pepperflash with the 20.xxx version and I think that would also be the minimum chromium version that you would need.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#23 Post by lucky9 » Sat May 31, 2014 12:59 pm

There's a Flash installation/update feature in MX14. Point and Click. You might be surprised at the performance of it's default 32 bit form. However antiX would be my first choice over the mixed systems you're wanting to use. Especially if 64 bit is important.

And with Themes like XFWM which emulates KDE 4.8's Oxygen Theme the Interface of the DE can be comfortable for KDE-types.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#24 Post by kmathern » Sat May 31, 2014 1:05 pm

lucky9 wrote:There's a Flash installation/update feature in MX14. Point and Click. You might be surprised at the performance of it's default 32 bit form. However antiX would be my first choice over the mixed systems you're wanting to use. Especially if 64 bit is important.
But it only installs and/or updates the 11.2.202.xxx flashplugin (the NPAPI flash plugin).
Silent Observer want to use flash 13.xxx (aka pepperflash), the PPAPI plugin.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#25 Post by Stevo » Sat May 31, 2014 1:25 pm

Instead of symlinking to the Chrome location of the plugin file, you can also use a "freshwrapper.conf" file in ~/.config:

Code: Select all

# Audio buffer is used to continuously provide sound adapter with data.
# Values too low may lead to buffer underruns and stuttering.  Values
# too high will lead to noticeable latency. Usually plugin selects size
# on its own, but you may override bounds here

# lower bound for audio buffer size, in milliseconds
audio_buffer_min_ms = 20

# higher bound of audio buffer size, in milliseconds
audio_buffer_max_ms = 500

# Xinerama screen used to acquire fullscreen window geometry
xinerama_screen = 0

# Path to the wrapped plugin library
# plugin_path = "/opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so"
 plugin_path = "/usr/lib/pepperflashplugin-nonfree/libpepflashplayer.so"

# "Command-line" arguments for Flash
# Hardware video decoding is currently not working
flash_command_line = "enable_hw_video_decode=1,enable_stagevideo_auto=1"

Silent Observer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#26 Post by Silent Observer » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:32 am

All this freshplayer (and pipelight) stuff is well and good, but apparently none of it will ever work in MEPIS 11. Yes, there's antiX -- but that's not a long term solution until/unless I can get Wine to work correctly in antiX (and while I quite like fluxbox as a way to avoid loading down the old hardware, for my all-day every day machine, I need a desktop with icons and widgets). I'll have to burn MX-14 on a USB and see how it works on my Core2Quad, then try to figure out how hard it'll be to convert it to KDE -- or consider whether I'm ready to switch to Debian KDE with rolling updates on testing, which seems to work pretty well for antiX.

I think the whole Flash/Java thing is giving me the word that I'll have to upgrade to something fairly soon, and if I'm going to have to start over with a fresh install, a rolling distro (where I don't have to spend hours and hours reinstalling -- and inevitably find afterward that something didn't get backed up after all -- every year or two) is the only kind I'll look at.
MEPIS 11 64-bit, MSI P6NGM-L motherboard, Core 2 Quad 9400 2.67 GHz, 4 GiB PC2-5300 RAM, 1 GiB nVidia GT520 on PCI Express x16.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#27 Post by Stevo » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:52 am

Have you tried the MEPIS CR Wine on AntiX? You'll need to enable multiarch on 64-bit, and remove every bit of the Debian Wine, including wine, wine-bin, and a lot of libwine packages. The MEPIS version just puts everything into "wine" instead of many packages. It also depends on wine-gecko2.24 (currently) from the CR. It took a while, but it doesn't use "ia32-libs" as a crutch for 64-bit any longer, so it should work on upstream Debian.

Silent Observer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#28 Post by Silent Observer » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:30 am

Stevo wrote:Have you tried the MEPIS CR Wine on AntiX? You'll need to enable multiarch on 64-bit, and remove every bit of the Debian Wine, including wine, wine-bin, and a lot of libwine packages. The MEPIS version just puts everything into "wine" instead of many packages. It also depends on wine-gecko2.24 (currently) from the CR. It took a while, but it doesn't use "ia32-libs" as a crutch for 64-bit any longer, so it should work on upstream Debian.
Had no idea Wine came in multiple variants, so that's a no. Looks like this evening's project is going to be to clean out all the Wine parts that were installed on the antiX on this Core2Quad system, enable the MEPIS CR repo, and install Wine from there (um, how do I be sure which repo I'm getting stuff from in Synaptic?).
MEPIS 11 64-bit, MSI P6NGM-L motherboard, Core 2 Quad 9400 2.67 GHz, 4 GiB PC2-5300 RAM, 1 GiB nVidia GT520 on PCI Express x16.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#29 Post by Stevo » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:12 am

The MEPIS CR packages for M12 have "mcr120" at the end of the versions. You can set Synaptic to prefer packages from the "mepis" distribution in its Setting to get Wine. The command line equivalent would be adding "-t mepis" to the apt-get or aptitude command string.

For 64-bit, though it seems to install without no difficulty on 64-bit M12, I have to resort to the command line to get all the build-depends to build Wine. There are a lot more of these than the program's actual runtime dependencies, though, and the hangup for the build-deps seems to be pkg-config:i386, which the end user doesn't have to deal with.

Silent Observer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#30 Post by Silent Observer » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:24 am

Stevo wrote:You can set Synaptic to prefer packages from the "mepis" distribution in its Setting to get Wine.
Okay, then this would replace "prefer newest version" (which is my default setting). Haven't had a chance to try this yet, but if this works and I can manage to get KDE installed and set as default on antiX, that may become my new default OS.

Return to “Gamers”