-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Installing pipelight on MEPIS 11 (to get Windows Flash 13)

Here people can ask questions concerning how to install or configure games. Anything related to games in MEPIS or linux can be asked here. Also tutorials about this can be posted here.
Silent Observer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Installing pipelight on MEPIS 11 (to get Windows Flash 13)

#1 Post by Silent Observer » Sat May 31, 2014 8:41 am

I've been trying, a little at a time for several weeks, to get to the point of being able to use MEPIS 11 and a single browser to run both Java and Flash online games. I used to play Yahoo! Games parlor games, which ran fine in the 11.2.202.x series Flash plugins that are still receiving security updates from Adobe since they've abandoned Flash development for Linux, but Yahoo! dumped all the old parlor games a couple months ago and the replacements I've found that use Flash reject any Flash plugin version older than the version 13 -- which is available only in Google Chrome (Pepper API Flash) for Linux or for Windows/Mac as a system-wide installation.

Unfortunately, Google Chrome won't install on MEPIS 11 due to dependency issues that I don't have the knowledge to resolve, and further, Google Chrome (at least for Linux) won't run Java. I've tried installing Firefox for Windows under Wine (up to date, version 1.7.14), and while the browser runs well and reports current versions of Flash and Java both internally and at flashtester.org and javatester.org, it won't run the Java-based games on pogo.com (High Stakes Pool is a fine example); no error message, they just hang at the "loading room" screen.

I've concluded that what's needed is to use pipelight to run the Windows Flash plugin with a Linux Mozilla-based browser (preferably SeaMonkey, which is my default browser and has been through many versions, going back to Netscape Navigator in the mid-1990s -- I prefer the tight integration of browser, e-mail, and WYSIWYG HTML editor that only the Internet Suite offers). The problem is, I've tried to follow the instructions for Debian wheezy on the pipelight page here, and start right off with a failure of dpkg to enable the i386 architecture (possibly a failure due to version dependent syntax, I can't really tell). Assuming that this is already enabled (I'm running 64-bit MEPIS and use 32-bit Wine apps and Skype already), I try to add the repository given for wheezy (using Synaptic's repo settings, even though I'll be using apt-get directly in a later step), and find that any reasonable combination of the repository URL, distribution, and section information given for wheezy and jessie fail to load the file list for the pipelight repo. I don't know if this is due to being unable to enable i386 architecture, or some other failure; the error reporting isn't very informative (just a 404 error for the repo address).

Has anyone else gotten pipelight to install in MEPIS 11? Or is this another case of "in Debian-speak, 'stable' means too old to do anything useful in a world where two years old is ancient"?
MEPIS 11 64-bit, MSI P6NGM-L motherboard, Core 2 Quad 9400 2.67 GHz, 4 GiB PC2-5300 RAM, 1 GiB nVidia GT520 on PCI Express x16.

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Installing pipelight on MEPIS 11 (to get Windows Flash 1

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle » Sat May 31, 2014 8:51 am

I don't use MEPIS, but I recall somewhere that the add-architecture command doesn't work the same way in older debians as in wheezy. Mepis M11 is based on debian 6 squeeze I believe.

pipelight is in the M12 and MX community repo. Doesn't help you if you are in M11 though.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by kmathern » Sat May 31, 2014 8:51 am

Silent Observer wrote:Has anyone else gotten pipelight to install in MEPIS 11? Or is this another case of "in Debian-speak, 'stable' means too old to do anything useful in a world where two years old is ancient"?
MEPIS 11 is the last "stable" Mepis release, but M11 is based on Debian Squeeze which was released more than three years ago (Feb. 2011) and has been the "oldstable" Debian release for more than a year now.

Silent Observer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by Silent Observer » Sat May 31, 2014 9:03 am

dolphin_oracle wrote:I don't use MEPIS, but I recall somewhere that the add-architecture command doesn't work the same way in older debians as in wheezy. Mepis M11 is based on debian 6 squeeze I believe.

pipelight is in the M12 and MX community repo. Doesn't help you if you are in M11 though.
I'm following the wheezy instructions, because I understood MEPIS was based on wheezy (isn't that the current Debian "stable"?). If it's actually squeeze based, that would explain why so many things don't work in MEPIS, and suggest that I'm going to have to abandon MEPIS 11 sometime soon (oh, joy, let's install and customize an entirely new OS -- as if I didn't have enough things eating up my free time) -- which will most likely mean switching to another distro such as Kubuntu (and going back to the steep part of the learning curve), given MEPIS 12 is still a couple years out of date even though it's still in beta stage. I've got antiX 13.2 64-bit already installed, but Wine doesn't work the way I'm used to in antiX (in fact, I find no evidence it works at all, probably needs "run actions" defined, but I'm not sure how to manage that for something as pervasive as Wine) and antiX is a little less friendly to the relative Linux noob than MEPIS (more stuff demands command line management, i.e. can't readily be done in the GUI, and without a DTE many of the things I've gotten used to in MEPIS don't work at all).

On the bright side, I don't have to spend $80-$200 just to find out if the new OS candidate will work on my hardware, as would be the case with a Microsoft product...
MEPIS 11 64-bit, MSI P6NGM-L motherboard, Core 2 Quad 9400 2.67 GHz, 4 GiB PC2-5300 RAM, 1 GiB nVidia GT520 on PCI Express x16.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by kmathern » Sat May 31, 2014 9:09 am

Have you tried MX14?

If you want to use KDE4 you can add it like Joany and a couple others have.

Silent Observer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by Silent Observer » Sat May 31, 2014 9:17 am

kmathern wrote:Have you tried MX14?

If you want to use KDE4 you can add it like Joany and a couple others have.
No, I haven't tried either MX14 or MEPIS 12. The latter, because I'm not really interested in a beta version; the former for that same reason, plus (last I heard) it comes only in 32-bit PAE (i.e. won't run on my older machines, and doesn't take full advantage of my newer hardware). I'd be willing to give XFCE a try before installing KDE, but I'll admit I'm used to using KDE widgets (and as such, a little concerned that they've changed so much of the interface in current versions of KDE vs. the one in MEPIS 11). I don't have a DVD drive in my main machine (needs $30 and a couple hours of free time, both in short supply at present), so the only way I can test or install modern distros is via Live USB -- which, in my experience (mainly with antiX), doesn't always work the same as loading from an optical disk.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by kmathern » Sat May 31, 2014 9:26 am

Silent Observer wrote:...No, I haven't tried either MX14 or MEPIS 12. The latter, because I'm not really interested in a beta version; the former for that same reason, plus (last I heard) it comes only in 32-bit PAE (i.e. won't run on my older machines, and doesn't take full advantage of my newer hardware) ...
A non-pae version is available for your older machines. http://sourceforge.net/projects/antix-l ... nal/MX-14/

Silent Observer wrote:... I don't have a DVD drive in my main machine (needs $30 and a couple hours of free time, both in short supply at present), so the only way I can test or install modern distros is via Live USB -- which, in my experience (mainly with antiX), doesn't always work the same as loading from an optical disk.
I'm pretty much only using LiveUSB to install various distros and have had good results.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Post by Stevo » Sat May 31, 2014 9:43 am

If that project to have Firefox be able to use Pepperflash pans out, then would be a simpler solution.

MX 14 works a lot better with Live USBs than MEPIS, and the persistence feature you can set up is very cool. You can basically set up, run, and install your own remastered version off the flash drive.

Edit: According to this post, Fresh Player is now usable, so I'll build packages for testing: http://www.webupd8.org/2014/05/install- ... buntu.html

Silent Observer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#9 Post by Silent Observer » Sat May 31, 2014 10:55 am

Stevo wrote:If that project to have Firefox be able to use Pepperflash pans out, then would be a simpler solution.
That's why I'm interested in pipelight -- it lets me use Windows flash 13 (which I already have installed in Wine) with a Mozilla-based Linux browser.
Stevo wrote:Edit: According to this post, Fresh Player is now usable, so I'll build packages for testing: http://www.webupd8.org/2014/05/install- ... buntu.html
Has anyone solved the issue with Google Chrome (hence pepper-flash-plugin package) failing to install in MEPIS 11? Last time I tried, there was a dependency problem that I couldn't resolve. For that matter, I don't see the pepper-flash-plugin package; what repo is it in?

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#10 Post by kmathern » Sat May 31, 2014 11:05 am

Silent Observer wrote:...Has anyone solved the issue with Google Chrome (hence pepper-flash-plugin package) failing to install in MEPIS 11? Last time I tried, there was a dependency problem that I couldn't resolve.
IIRC the last version of Google Chrome that would install in MEPIS 11 was a 26.xxx or 27.xxx version and Google Chrome is ten or so versions higher now, I don't think it's possible.

Return to “Gamers”