Login Screen Loop

Here is where you can post tips and tricks to share with other users of MX. Do not ask for help in this Forum.
Tarzan

Login Screen Loop

#1 Post by Tarzan »

I resized (shrunk) my MX partitions using Gparted live. After that, my machine would boot normally but when I entered my password, it would blank out for a moment and return me to the login prompt. It never said my password was wrong--it just wouldn't let me in. I thought I'd gorked MX and that I'd have to do a clean install. Having nothing to lose I restored the partitions to their original sizes. Now MX lets me login normally. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? :confused:

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Login Screen Loop

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Check the LightDM log for clues.

I would have tried switching to a console screen & using startx to see if that works.
mod note: Signature removed, please read the forum rules

gosia

#3 Post by gosia »

Hello Tarzan,
Check the rights of your files in the home directory, especially .Xauthority. If ~/.Xauthority belongs to root, correct this with chown.

Code: Select all

sudo chown USER:GROUP .Xauthority
many greetings gosia

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

gosia wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:52 pm If ~/.Xauthority belongs to root, correct this with chown.

sudo chown USER:GROUP .Xauthority
That should be

sudo chown "${USER}:${USER}" ~/.Xauthority
Probably simpler to just delete the file and let the X server make a new one though.

And anyway the OP could log in again once the partition was re-sized so I don't think file ownership is the problem here.
mod note: Signature removed, please read the forum rules

gosia

#5 Post by gosia »

Hello Head_on_a_Stick,
You're taking it very well. ;) I had trusted that Tarzan himself would use tarzan:tarzan and do it in his home directory.
But you're absolutely right, it's really better to write it exactly than to trust in knowledge. so thank you very much for the correction.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:02 pm And anyway the OP could log in again once the partition was re-sized so I don't think file ownership is the problem here.
Well, Tarzan can try it anyway.

many greetings gosia

Return to “Tips & Tricks by users”