News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Live USB with persistance

Just as the name says, here is where you can post tips and tricks to share with other users of MEPIS.
barnaby
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Live USB with persistance

Post by barnaby » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:03 am

I have already done some research for this, just getting more confused. I am running MX 18.1. I am trying to create a live USB copy of this, with persistence. I have tried already. The stick did work fine, but it opened the vanilla version of MX. Just to test it I made some changes to the layout, and then shut down and restarted it. The changes had disappeared. There also seems to be a choice to make a copy of the current version which is running on the laptop. However, this is grayed out. I have had a look in the documentation, but it is not clear to me why this is grayed out. I have also Googled it, but this did not help.
So, can I make a live USB stick of my copy of MX which is currently running on my computer? If not, can I at least make a live USB which will keep any changes I make? My plan, as ever, is to get more people using Linux. If I can show them via a live USB stick, I am sure it would be a great help. I do some training at the local youth club, so this would be great if I can sort it. Thanks.

rs55
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Live USB with persistance

Post by rs55 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:30 am

1. Make a live USB stick ( you have already done this).
2. Boot from the stick
3. At the boot screen - choose F5 and chose "Persist_Static"
4. Bottom right of screen - Choose "Save"
5. "Enter" to continue booting
6. It will ask you to make a rootfs file - choose the default option 1.
7. It will ask you to make a homefs file - choose default option 1.
8. It will ask whether to copy your existing /home over to home fs: Choose "Yes"
9. Thats it. It will boot and you will have persistence.

rs55
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by rs55 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:32 am

rs55 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:30 am
2. Boot from the stick
8. It will ask whether to copy your existing /home over to home fs: Choose "Yes"
Oh , all this is only needed the first time you set up persistence. The next time you boot, at the boot screen choose "Custom..." - this will enable the options you choose at setup ( ie. "persist-static"). This "save" is just a convenience - so you dont have to do F5, and choose "persist_static" every time you boot.

barnaby
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by barnaby » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:15 pm

Thanks for all that. I would never have found that by myself. I now have persistence set up, but somehow I failed to bring across my home folder. Is there a way to do this now, or have I missed out? I also changed the country etc while logging in. Will that keep too?

rs55
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by rs55 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:46 pm

barnaby wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:15 pm
Thanks for all that. I would never have found that by myself. I now have persistence set up, but somehow I failed to bring across my home folder. Is there a way to do this now, or have I missed out? I also changed the country etc while logging in. Will that keep too?
You might want to burn the usb again - start with a clean state. Then do the steps I outlined . If you choose "save" at the boot options screen, I believe it will save all your choices - timezone etc ( that you can choose at the boot screen). At subsequent logins be sure to choose the "Custom..." login to make sure all your saved settings persist.

rs55
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by rs55 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:03 pm

One other thing:
After you have the persistence working well, go to your file manager and and look at your /home/my-name folder. You will find a folder called "live-usb-storage".
This is a very handy place to store larger data files - like music, photos etc.
This live-usb-storage folder is always there - even if you are not using persistence.
The size of this folder will vary depending on how much of your usb-stick is un-used.

rs55
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by rs55 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:14 pm

rs55 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:03 pm
One other thing:
After you have the persistence working well, go to your file manager and and look at your /home/my-name folder. You will find a folder called "live-usb-storage".
This is a very handy place to store larger data files - like music, photos etc.
This live-usb-storage folder is always there - even if you are not using persistence.
The size of this folder will vary depending on how much of your usb-stick is un-used.
In short - dont store too much stuff on your /home/my-name folder. It may seem obvious that since the /home/my-name folder has default folders called music , pictures, video etc, that - that is place to store stuff.
Well, its not.
In my case I have 120GB of music and 60GB of videos and 70GB of photos ! I certainly dont store those on my /home/my-name folder. Save those large files in the live-usb-storage folder ( to the extent you have room on your usb stick), or better yet, keep them in a separate external hard drive.

skidoo
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by skidoo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:28 am

Hopefully the OP just didn't realize it is necessary to choose the "Custom" entry in boomenu
(choosing the first bootmenu item instructs the live systemd to boot a "Day1, Factory Fresh" session.
At subsequent logins be sure to choose the "Custom..." login to make sure all your saved settings persist.
It's a very cool feature ~~ with each boot, we can choose load a persistence session (or not)... but, granted, having a choice can be confusing.

stefanokan
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by stefanokan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:19 pm

Hi, i'm new to MX Linux, I'm an old Linux Mint user.
I like very much MX 18.2 and i want to try it for a longer period before considering to switch to it.
So in order to obtain persistence i followed the procedure:
rs55 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:30 am
2. Boot from the stick
but the usb stick (32 Gb) is not writable so it asks to me where to save.
I would prefer to have the persistence on the usb stick, so when i switch on another pc i have all on the usb stick.
Is there a possibility to write the image leaving usb stick writable?

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Adrian » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:50 pm

but the usb stick (32 Gb) is not writable so it asks to me where to save.
How did you create the USB stick? Did you use live-usb-maker (or GUI mx-live-usb-maker)? If you used dd or other way to write the stick it might create a useless stick (from the POV of persistency).

Return to “Tips&Tricks”