Tutorial(s): Thunar Custom Actions--- simplify what you do

Here is where you can post tips and tricks to share with other users of MX. Do not ask for help in this Forum.
manyroads

Tutorial(s): Thunar Custom Actions--- simplify what you do

#1 Post by manyroads »

Since I have been putting a bunch of hours into creating/building my own Thunar Custom Actions, I thought I'd solicit comments from our Forums Community about what you have created/ use & like.

I posted a couple of my more recent creations here:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=48279

I have a few more that I'll add once, I document their creation, for any who may benefit from these.
Last edited by manyroads on Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

skidoo

Re: Thunar Custom Actions--- what do you use & like

#2 Post by skidoo »

In case someone reading this topic hasn't yet discovered the Thunar Custom Actions feature,
here's a link to the xfce.org docs page: custom-actions (that xfce.org page is also linked from the MX Wiki)

Ubuntu wiki ThunarCustomActions page provides 30 examples

PCLinuxOS magazine (PDF, Jan 2015) "Xfce Tips And Tricks" describes several Thunar Custom Actions (dozens)

a nice collection here (not mine), with screenshots: https://gitlab.com/nobodyinperson/thunar-custom-actions

Gaer Boy

#3 Post by Gaer Boy »

I only make one change. I edit the Symlink Custom Action to:

Code: Select all

ln -s %f $(yad --width=640 --height=480 --center --file --directory --filename=%f --save --confirm-overwrite=oops)	
Thanks to kmathern!

This makes it much easier to create my 20-odd data symlinks on installation.

Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX, Ryzen 5 5600G, 16GB, 250GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 2x1TB HDD (MBR), MX-21-AHS
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 4MB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), MX-21

Jerry3904
Administrator

#4 Post by Jerry3904 »

@skidoo: put the Ubu link in that Wiki entry--which really needs to be filled out one of these days...
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

manyroads

Thunar Custom Actions--- Image Conversion Function(s)

#5 Post by manyroads »

Image Conversion Function(s)
The following Thunar Custom Actions require that you have imagemagick installed (easy to do with mxpi).

Here are the commands for each:
To Convert jpg to png; the action command is:

convert %F `basename %F .jpg`.png
To Convert png to jpg; the action command is:

convert %F `basename %F .png`.jpg
I have the Appearance conditions set for both identically, see the image below:
Appearance Conditions-Image Conversions.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

manyroads

Thunar Custom Actions--- a better looking menu

#6 Post by manyroads »

Making a better looking Custom Action Menu

Because I have a lot of custom actions, and I like them organized here are a couple of 'tricks' to allow for grouping & sorting.

To create a separator with a label, simply mimic the following image; set the Appearance Conditions to all check marks. The lines is actually the dash from your keyboard.
Labelled Seperator.png
When you're done you will be able to do something nicer that I have.

As for the icons I use, I have a folder (collection) and they are simply set from the Custom Action editor screen. Keep them somewhere so you'll remember!!!!
Menu with Actions.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pax vobiscum,

Buck Fankers

#7 Post by Buck Fankers »

Just want to say how I like all the Custom Actions in Thunar that already comes with MX!

But yours @manyroads (and icons) looks great, I love it, it would be huge improvement if they would come already with MX Thunar. I bet there would be users pointing this out, how MX Thunar is so much better than in other distros.

manyroads

#8 Post by manyroads »

Buck Fankers wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:00 pm Just want to say how I like all the Custom Actions in Thunar that already comes with MX!

But yours @manyroads (and icons) looks great, I love it, it would be huge improvement if they would come already with MX Thunar. I bet there would be users pointing this out, how MX Thunar is so much better than in other distros.
@Buck Fankers I certainly am happy if people want to use what I create. It's all there for the taking. :bagoverhead:
Pax vobiscum,

manyroads

Thunar Custom Action--- anti-virus Action

#9 Post by manyroads »

Folder/File Virus scan

If you have clamav/clamtk installed (anti-virus available thru mxpi stable repo) you can create a custom action in thunar and make it invokeable on either single files or folders/ dirs. I find this especially useful for download of things such as Books, maps, images (pdf, png/jpg, etc.) :needcoffee:

clamtk %F
clam custom action.png
clam appearance conditions.png
Pax vobiscum,

manyroads

Thunar Custom Action--- Bulk Rename

#10 Post by manyroads »

If you wish to invoke the Bulk Rename functions for files/ folders via right-click make certain you first install:

sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends thunar
Also, in order to be able to batch rename multiple audio files based on their tags, also install the Thunar Media Tags plugin:

sudo apt-get install thunar-media-tags-plugin
Edit the Thunar Custom actions as follows:
BulkRename Basic Action.png
BulkRename Appearance Condition.png
Pax vobiscum,

Return to “Tips & Tricks by users”