ExpressVPN trick

Here is where you can post tips and tricks to share with other users of MX. Do not ask for help in this Forum.
towwire

ExpressVPN trick

#1 Post by towwire »

There are some VPN's that start on a reboot or startup of the computer. ExpressVpn is not one of them, you have to open a terminal and tell it to connect. While it will reconnect if you lose your connection, there is no internet until it does reconnect.

If you want it to start when you start your computer, here is how you can do it.

1. Right click on your desktop and click on Create Launcher
2. Name: ExpressVPN Connect or what ever you want
3. Command: expressvpn connect
4. Check Box Run in terminal
5. Click Create
6. Now right click on the launcher you just created and click on Properties
7. On the Permissions Tab check the box 'Allow this file to run as a program' then close it.
8. Open File Manager Showing Hidden Files
9. You will now copy or cut and paste the Launcher into this folder
'/home/your-user-name/.config/autostart/'

Now when you reboot or turn you computer a terminal will show that expressvpn is connecting and when it connects the terminal closes. It does it real fast. I have test this over 12 times and it works.

If you have other users on the computer then that launcher needs to be paste into their 'autostart' folder. You will have to Open a root File Manager to do the copy. I also tested this.

Captain Brillo

Re: ExpressVPN trick

#2 Post by Captain Brillo »

And if you put these rules into ufw, nothing in your system can connect to anywhere except to your VPN

Code: Select all

sudo ufw default deny outgoing
sudo ufw default deny incoming
sudo ufw allow out on tun0 from any to any
sudo ufw allow in on tun0 from any to any
sudo ufw allow out from any to xxx.xxx.xxx  <your vpn server address>	
sudo ufw enable
sudo ufw status

(Damn..had to keep correcting typos cuz I kept hitting ctrl^B to get bold (snork snork :p )
GAFA-free zone

Return to “Tips & Tricks by users”