Easy application portfolio 'alteration' (tweaks)

Here is where you can post tips and tricks to share with other users of MX. Do not ask for help in this Forum.
Redacted

Re: Easy application portfolio 'alteration' (tweaks)

#11 Post by Redacted »

thomasl wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:36 am Hopefully that is clearer than my original suggestion.
Thanks for the clarification. :thumbup:

anticapitalista
Developer

#12 Post by anticapitalista »

Here's suggestion - write a list and present it to the forum (so others could maybe add/remove items from it) and then present the results to the devs for consideration.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

manyroads

#13 Post by manyroads »

I think the script process I mentioned provides most of that @thomasl (plus I think the devs can check my removal list, which is pretty big, to see if those apps are 'approved' for removal.)... it just does not tell you which apps to "leave alone" (because of risk). My approach, also, does not make the script for you.

I'll post my lists here in a few minutes... as a list.
Last edited by manyroads on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

manyroads

#14 Post by manyroads »

Okay all (devs). Here's the list of items I remove. So far as I know, none of these affect stability. If people want I can publish my list of add-ons as a list, as well.

gmtp
orage
featherpad
nomacs
nomacs-l10n
pppoeconf
asunder
chromium-bsu
chromium-bsu-data
clipit
gnome-ppp
gnome-hearts
hexchat
hexchat-common
lbreakout2
lbreakout2-data
mc
mc-data
xfce4-notes-plugin
xfce4-notes
peg-e
smtube
swell-foop
xfburn
fbreader
gscan2pdf
dconf
feh
firefox
libreoffice (note:I replace this with the appimage of Libreoffice-fresh) :lipsrsealed:

Enjoy. :bagoverhead:
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

manyroads

#15 Post by manyroads »

Hello Happy Readership. :hug: Here are the applications I add and build into my snapshot for my systems:

plank
synapse
mousepad
keepassx
four-in-a-row
grsync
gnome-disk-utility
djview4
djvulibre-plugin
gcolor2
agave
viewnior
fonts-roboto-hinted
filezilla
clamav
clamtk
clamassassin
chromium
gramps
zim
baobab
ristretto
thunar-dropbox-plugin
fonts-roboto-hinted

Items added via MXPI include:
dropbox
virtualbox
tlpui

appimages added:
Libreoffice-Fresh
avidemux (for podcasting)
OpenShot (for video podcasting)
Raw Therapee (for podcasting)
Scrivener (for writing)
Shotcut (for video podcasting)

Enjoy! :needcoffee:
Pax vobiscum,

Buck Fankers

#16 Post by Buck Fankers »

manyroads wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:56 am Here are the applications I add and build into my snapshot for my systems:
You missed/forgot one of the most important: SpeedCrunch calculator!

;-) I couldn't resist, bottom line, many times these lists are just personal preference. While posting these lists can have some statistical value (most like mousepad over featherpad, so i better go with it also, or at least check it out) in my opinion it would make it much more valuable, if someone, who prefer say mousepad over featherpad explains in a line or two, why one is better than other.

Back to SpeedCrunch, when I mentioned it, I explained, why it may be worth checking it out:

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=47712&start=40

So maybe, just a thought, we could have a forum, topic, something like this: "Why I prefer 'this, my favorite app' over the one that comes pre-installed by default

Each of us (who would want) could make a case of app we feel strongly about, and some of us could get some ideas what to install on the system. And I don't mean in a spirit to suggest to antiX/MX developers for a change, they usually have a reasons (dependencies, etc...) why they choose default apps, this topic should serve more for us members get an ideas, alternatives, we didn't know about, so we can check into them. Also, some members could post counter arguments, like: I personally don't like 'this app' because of 'these' reason.

Good example was, someone mentioned Flameshot as screenshot tool I was using already. Someone mentioned Shutter as maybe better. It does some things I like better. Someone else mentioned that Shutter pulls in all kind of Gnome stuff, which turned me off it. But that same person mentioned Hotshots snapshot tool, that (for what I need) has more than any other previously mentioned and with added value of not bringing into your system bunch of Gnome dependencies.

So, I learned about several snapshot tools and now I have new favorite that I like better. Maybe forum like this could be beneficial?

manyroads

#17 Post by manyroads »

@Buck Fankers I agree with your point fully. The reason I posted the list(s) was because @anticapitalista said someone should show the devs which of the base apps were not used or were replaced. (This is just my list.) Actually the purpose of the OP was to tell people they could do a major (radical) change (alteration) of their application base easily. As for setting up a forum on why apps are preferred is a good idea. We have one thread here that started as a list of apps most used and digressed into a Bible discussion thread somehow (I don't mind such a discussion it's just it pretty much killed that thread.) I can certainly set something up like that on http://eirenicon.org... and open it to the world, not that the world would show up. ;) :bagoverhead:

On another note, I 'think' I noticed you mention that you use manjaro (arch). I have a bigger version of the OP on my eirenicon site that describes doing this on either Debian or Arch derivatives. Here's the link if you want to critique it: http://eirenicon.org/2019/01/10/tweakin ... ions-base/ :footinmouth:

Oh and as for speedcrunch... I just like galculator. :lipsrsealed:
Pax vobiscum,

thomasl

#18 Post by thomasl »

manyroads wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:49 amThe reason I posted the list(s) was because @anticapitalista said someone should show the devs which of the base apps were not used or were replaced. (This is just my list.) Actually the purpose of the OP was to tell people they could do a major (radical) change (alteration) of their application base easily.
Well, exactly. That was the whole point of your OP, I thought, and also why I suggested an app to enable people to remove unwanted stuff prior to installation. There will never be a collection of apps that fits all sizes.

Much better than to endlessly discuss what should or shouldn't be included is to include a (sensible) amount of stuff and give people a simple, intuitive tool to remove what they don't want/need (and to install what they want/need... but we have that already). My 2 cents.
Frugal installs on Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Ryzen 5 4650U/24GB * HP Pavilion Ryzen 3 3300U/16GB * Toshiba R950 i5-3340M/12GB
I have a reservation... What do you mean it's not in the COMPUTER!

richb
Administrator

#19 Post by richb »

Apps removed:
None

Apps added:
copyq
PIA client
Dropbox
dolphin
Google Chrome
FreeFileSync
shutter
Timeshift
QuiteRSS
Compiz
HP GUI
Hardware Monitor

With all these additions and no removals I am using 5% of my 250 GB SSD. I do have a second SSD for data, and a third if I were to need it. I do not worry about disk space. Also 'clutter" in menus does not bother me. The whisker search bar takes care of finding a particular app. These are personal preferences and everyone does not think as I do, nor should they.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

manyroads

#20 Post by manyroads »

@anticapitalista and Devs... another option to deal with the issue, of removing apps, is to simply offer a fully stripped down (minimal version) of MX. Then people will get the skinniest appropriate install and can add their apps on it. Numerous distros offer such a 'thing'. :eek:
Pax vobiscum,

Return to “Tips & Tricks by users”