Vivaldi is a great browser, here are some tips

Here is where you can post tips and tricks to share with other users of MX. Do not ask for help in this Forum.
handy

Vivaldi is a great browser, here are some tips

#1 Post by handy »

This was a wiki page that I wrote some time ago for Manjaro. It has been updated multiple times, once again for this post & hopefully modified appropriately to suit MX17. Please let me know of any distro specific or other errors so that I can remedy them?

Note: I censor G**gle due to my resentment of what they have done to the world with their for profit, war on personal privacy. Please allow me to?

Note: The Free Software Foundation recommends us to NOT use any
Chromium or Chromium code based browsers due them phoning
G**gle (often).
The Vivaldi team say that they have plugged all known
leaks to G**gle. The following two linked pages are well
worth reading:

https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/22330/g ... removed/34

https://tiamarth.com/writ/vivaldi_not_open_source

Introduction

Hard to believe I ever moved from Firefox to Pale Moon. Then after some weeks of using the Chromium code based Vivaldi, I happily made it my default browser (for a while, until I was put off by the leaks of its engine to G**gle - see the note at the top of the page & most especially the 2 links there for what looks like resolution to the leak problem).

Many are finding Vivaldi attractive due to its polished presentation; the incorporation of many options (most of which I'll never even discover as I don't need them); & (a necessity for me) the ability to use extensions (add-ons) from the Chrome Web Store https://chrome.google.com/webstore/cate ... s?hl=en-US

Below I'll add some things that a new Vivaldi user, or someone who is thinking about using Vivaldi may find helpful. This page will grow as I learn more, &/or others come & contribute to the page.

Optimising & Customizing Vivaldi

This is a short section that may be of particular use to those who are running Vivaldi on not so powerful machines. I'll post this link https://www.ghacks.net/2017/02/13/how-t ... b-browser/ to a page on www.ghaks.net that has been written for the Win10 OS. The important stuff is very easily translated to any OS that is running Vivaldi.

Vivaldi Tips https://vivalditips.com/ is a great site for a new Vivaldi user, as it has a number of user added tips laid out in an easy to read format. Well worth a read.

Making Vivaldi the Default Browser in Manjaro (This may or may not be useful here, I don't know as I don't bother with it, but it is apparently important to some people.)

You'll find a good page here http://blog.codef00.com/2011/02/18/the- ... x-debacle/ on the problems that users of Linux distros face due to the lack of a default way that is used by the KDE; Gnome; & other package makers for setting & sourcing the default browser.

I use Openbox, on my MX17 system that is substantially customized. As can be gathered from the above section, I have long been a Firefox user, who then moved to Pale Moon, using it for quite a number of months. Pale Moon was set as my default browser until I cancelled that setting in Pale Moon some days ago.

How to check if there is a default browser

If someone tests this on MX, please let me know if it is still valid & valid for MX, so I can modify the text appropriately?

A way to check which is your default browser is to type env into your terminal. This will display a list of all of your user environment variables. If you type sudo env you'll get a shorter list of root specific env variables.

When I typed env (even though I'd turned off Pale Moon's default browser weeks ago) listed in the terminal was BROWSER=/usr/bin/palemoon . So I went looking & found the /etc/environment file in which I found BROWSER=/usr/bin/palemoon . So I changed the palemoon to vivaldi-stable & tested with a fresh terminal. It still said palemoon. So I rebooted & it still said palemoon.

After that I had a look in my ~/.bashrc & discovered another BROWSER=/usr/bin/palemoon line, so I changed that to vivaldi-stable & checked in a fresh terminal & now my BROWSER environment variable was set.

To check it I typed the following into the terminal (note: the $
is required, & has no space between it & BROWSER):

$BROWSER https://forum.mxlinux.org/

& that created a new tab in Vivaldi which then loaded up the MX forum's main page.

At this point that is good enough for me.

Here are a few things to finish this subject off:

Firstly, if you enter sudo env at the terminal prompt you'll get a shorter list of root owned environment variables, which in my case & it should be yours too, also included BROWSER=/usr/bin/vivaldi-stable . It is a very bad idea to run any browser as root & surf the web. Don't do it unless you know exactly what you are doing & why.

Secondly, if you don't know which type of Vivaldi build you are using, have a look for it in your /usr/bin/ directory. I'm obviously using the /usr/bin/vivaldi-stable install. There also exist vivaldi-snapshot & vivaldi-beta , there may be others that I'm unaware of too. So just be sure to use the right vivaldi-<name> when setting up your default $BROWSER environment variable.

Thirdly, there are other ways that may work for you to make Vivaldi (or any other browser) the default. Most browsers seem to have an inbuilt way that works. Vivaldi's inbuilt way does not work with Linux at least. There are other commands that can be entered into the terminal. I tried a couple & they did not work. (If you haven't already, have a read of this page http://blog.codef00.com/2011/02/18/the- ... x-debacle/ that linked to earlier on, I found it to be very educational.)

My suggestion is to check if the file /etc/environment exists. If it does not, I'd initially at least, not worry about creating it, though it likely is useful if you wanted to use Vivaldi as root , which as I've already said is a very bad idea.

Then open ~/.bashrc in your favorite text editor & just add the following line BROWSER=/usr/bin/vivaldi-stable (remembering to change vivaldi-stable to whichever Vivaldi package is the one that you installed - as mentioned above).

The good news about setting the environment variable in your ~/.bashrc is that it is read last & is therefore the one that matters most.

Call your default browser from the terminal

After that, open a new terminal (or close & reopen - or otherwise refresh your terminal) & enter

at the terminal prompt. If Vivaldi is running you should get a new tab with the Manjaro forum in it. If Vivaldi is closed, it will open up & give you that new tab.

This is also another way to test if you have a default browser & which one it is.

Some useful add-ons for Vivaldi

My gripe

Without access to what I consider to be some essential extensions or add-ons for Vivaldi then no matter how good the browser is, I would not use it. I consider personal privacy to be a right that every individual born on the planet is entitled to. Unfortunately that is far from the way that governments of all shapes, sizes & countries see the situation. Then there are every shape & size of those that belong to the marketroid species out there that want to know absolutely everything they possibly can about you. Whether they use that information themselves, or just sell it on to those that they collect for.

Nobody asked for my permission to follow my every move on the internet (or anywhere else for that matter). I don't want to be part & parcel of any package of people, or any kind of demographic that is processed by extremely sophisticated algorithms so that others can profit from the knowledge one way or another.

So to that end, I like to be able to make it more difficult & therefore more costly for the powers that track to do so. Apart from having more pleasant, less cluttered & distracting web pages to look at due to the functions of add blockers. Removing that rubbish also makes my pages load that bit faster too.

Add-ons to help protect your personal privacy

Here is a list of add-ons that I use, most of these are also available on Firefox & Pale Moon. These guys all work very well together & from my experience are reliable & have no negative effect on Vivaldi's stability.

All of these add-ons are available through the Vivaldi Tools/Extensions Menu which will get you to the Chrome Web Store https://chrome.google.com/webstore/cate ... s?hl=en-US where you can search out add-ons & start investigating any that interest you:

Note: if you use ScriptSafe (see below) then you won't need to use Canvas Defender - or any other canvas fingerprinting protection tool as SS tries to cover them all.

Canvas Defender - Instead of blocking JS-API, Canvas Defender creates a unique and persistent noise that hides your real canvas fingerprint.

Disconnect - Make the web faster, more private, and more secure.

HTTPS Everywhere - Encrypt the Web! Automatically use HTTPS security on many sites.

Privacy Badger - in its own way, Privacy Badger protects you from trackers as you surf the web!

ShareMeNot - Prevents third-party buttons embedded by sites from tracking you until you actually click on them.

uBlock Origin - Finally, an efficient blocker. Easy on CPU and memory.

uBlock Origin Extra - A companion extension to uBlock Origin: to gain ability to foil early hostile anti-user mechanisms working around content blockers.

uMatrix - Point & click to forbid/allow any class of requests made by your browser. Use it to block scripts, iframes, ads, facebook, etc.

ScriptSafe - A great alternative to uMatrix. In fact, from my tests, it does all & more that uMatrix does. So ScriptSafe has been my preferred choice for quite some time now. Well worth a look.

(I'd prefer, instead of uMatrix or ScriptSafe to use NoScript in combination with RequestPolicy, unfortunately they are not available for Vivaldi. Though I don't like the "new" NoScript that Firefox has forced on the world.)

Self Destroying Cookies - This one seems to have arrived since last I was looking into Vivaldi & it is the closest thing I can get to the old Firefox add-on Self-Destructing Cookies. It is great, & at last I'm satisfied re. having an add-on that deletes all cookies (not in its white list) as soon as all tabs connected to the same domain are closed. BRAVO! This add-on is very easy to use too.

PDF Viewer - Out of the privacy vein, this add-on uses HTML5 to display PDF files directly in the browser (does a great job), they download fast too.

Flash Super-Cookies - For those that still use Flash, the persistent flash cookies are placed in ~/.config/vivaldi/Default/Pepper Data/Shockwave Flash

You can make an alias so that you can quickly manually delete them:

Code: Select all

alias rmvflash='rm -R -f ~/.config/vivaldi/Default/Pepper?Data/Shockwave?Flash'
You can of course make the alias name "rmvflash" to be whatever suits you.

Personally, I have no need for Flash, but many people still must use it.

Using Firejail to sandbox Vivaldi

Firejail is not a Vivaldi extension/add-on. What it is, is an extremely valuable security feature that can be used with not only Vivaldi. So I have added it in here below the privacy/security add-on section.

Firejail https://firejail.wordpress.com is a very easy to use piece of software, initially developed to make Firefox more secure by isolating it (putting it in a sandbox) from the rest of your system. Firejail has developed beyond that & can be used simultaneously on many parts of your system. It is worth reading about on Firejail site (linked to above).

Beyond that, I can say that Firejail & Vivaldi work seamlessly. You need to start Vivaldi-stable like so: firejail vivaldi-stable Which is easy in any DE/WM that allows you to enter your own menu commands (I use Openbox where it is simple). Or, you can make a ~/.bashrc alias to call Vivaldi from the command line.

Beyond the privacy extensions listed above, I also use a quality (keeps no logs) paid for VPN. I happily used AirVPN for years, but have been using Private Internet Access (PIA) for some time now & find it to be a faster (it actually has servers in both planetary hemispheres), cheaper, & PIA supply a brilliant client GUI that is simple to use & very effective (from my experience).

That is the best I can do re. attempting to protect my personal privacy. Well, in combination with not using some web sites due to their policy of if we can't track you, then you can't come in. No great loss as far as I'm concerned.

Vivaldi has many user interface customizations available too

I'm pretty boring when it comes to this topic. My eyes just like dark themes & the ability to have large text by default & to easily enlarge it when required. Vivaldi has this well covered.
To find out more about the graphic display capacity of this remarkable browser, you will need to look elsewhere.

Beyond that, if you are new to Vivaldi, enjoy! ;)
Last edited by handy on Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: Vivaldi is a great browser, here are some tips

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Nice, thanks. Plopped that into the Wiki, will edit if necessary when there is time.

https://mxlinux.org/wiki/applications/vivaldi
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

handy

#3 Post by handy »

Good on you Jerry. :)

I'm glad it at least looks to be useful here too. ;)
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

nathan2423

#4 Post by nathan2423 »

Thank you for posting this. i just switched all my computers over to Vivaldi this past weekend (from Palemoon, my most recent default browser) and i am very pleased with it. I'm still sorting out the video issue that is referenced in the other thread and on the Linux download page for Vivaldi, but that's not causing a great deal of problem for me, and the benefits of look and feel and customizability are worth working through that. I miss the old opera but I gather this is the team that was responsible for that past innovation, so I am looking forward to seeing what they do with Vivaldi

Richard

#5 Post by Richard »

From the Vivaldi forum:
JamesKeating3 about a month ago
@stang Thank you.
Dowloaded script latest-proprietary-media..sh from
https://gist.github.com/ruario/bec42d15 ... y-media-sh
and it works. At last. Don't remember why I didn't try that before -- ....
And when you get it, follow the instructiones:

Abrir una terminal acá y ejecutar:
$ sh latest-proprietary-media.sh 

[This also works.]
on this page: https://help.vivaldi.com/article/html5- ... -on-linux/
Exit Vivaldi, execute as user: Other Linux (Including Ubuntu 14.04) 64-bit

curl -L vvld.in/lm64|tail -c+1075|tar CxJ ~ --wildcards \*libffmpeg\.so --xform 's,.*/,.local/lib/vivaldi/,'
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

PondLife

#6 Post by PondLife »

Trivial thing for when you next update but should Manjaro read MX
Call your default browser from the terminal

After that, open a new terminal (or close & reopen - or otherwise refresh your terminal) & enter

at the terminal prompt. If Vivaldi is running you should get a new tab with the Manjaro forum in it. If Vivaldi is closed, it will open up & give you that new tab.

This is also another way to test if you have a default browser & which one it is.
Thanks for posting this info.

Richard

#7 Post by Richard »

Good catch.
Yes, it will work with MX, Manjaro.
I only ran the script and didn't really do that step,
since I don't mind if other things open in Firefox.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

paul1149

#8 Post by paul1149 »

Thanks, handy. I was unaware of that "low-end-mode", and it seems to make a difference, as tested with Chrome on a C-50, Win7 machine.
MX-19-KDE x64, on Ryzen 5, 16GB RAM, SSD. Nvidia graphics.

handy

#9 Post by handy »

Thanks guys. :)

I changed the Manjaro to MX in that command line for testing whether Vivaldi was set as the default browser or not.

I've got a couple on Firefox though I'm not sure just how up to date they are with the current changes that Mozilla keep foisting on the Firefox community. I'll get around to posting them & see what the community here has to say.

Kreative

#10 Post by Kreative »

I use Vivaldi too it's the only Chromium based browser on my pc. What I like about it is the Old Opera 12.x feel which I loved and miss 8(

I was a user & promoter, also created a few search widgets that worked in versions 10-11.

When Opera was sold to China, I zapped & block everything Opera. From my understanding users agree to be monitored by China. I have a problem w/ that & everyone else should too.

Return to “Tips & Tricks by users”