Adding LVM support to MX-Live

Here is where you can post tips and tricks to share with other users of MX. Do not ask for help in this Forum.
m_pav
Developer

Adding LVM support to MX-Live

#1 Post by m_pav »

MX Linux Live does not come with support for Logical Volume Management, but it literally only takes a minute to add it to a running Live MX Linux session. I had a job to complete, so I gained access to the drives contents as I had done before, then I wondered if any such information was available within the massive MX Linux documentation and, .... nothing found, so I recorded a screencast video and posted it to youtube, url below.

https://youtu.be/tSGh7FqQ7_k

The instructions are so stupendously simple, I'm thinking even a novice should be able to follow them. I don't recommend adding lvm support to a personalised snapshot unless you like a much longer boot time, so I think this video instructional will be a nice addition if it should ever be needed.

Sorry for the quality and unrehearsed progression, I did it on the spur of the moment and it was late at night.
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Daily) Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSD, MX_ahs
(ManCave) AMD FX 6100 CPU, nVidia, 8Gb, 3.25TB mixed, MX_ahs
(Spare)2017 Macbook Air 7,2, 8GB, 256GB SSD, MX_ahs

xquiet

Re: Adding LVM support to MX-Live

#2 Post by xquiet »

Hi,
I know that the post is quite old but I haven't found anything usefull on this topic but as I do really like MX Linux I want to be of help.

I managed to install MX Linux 18 over LVM2 partition scheme and then I managed to also move to MX Linux 19 successfully.

I made a small shellscript that can be of help during the process so, here it goes.

Feel free to ask for improvements or to fork it, any feedback will be really appreciated.

https://www.matteopasotti.it/2019/11/26 ... over-lvm2/

Cheers

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#3 Post by Eadwine Rose »

It would be appreciated if you'd post it here on the forum so users searching for it can find it.

Welcome!
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

xquiet

#4 Post by xquiet »

Thank you Eadwine Rose, the shellscript can be found inside this git repository.

I don't think it's usefull to attach a copy of it here as it's going to be outdated quite soon but you're free to do it, if you want.

Return to “Tips & Tricks by users”