Tips for New Users

Here is where you can post tips and tricks to share with other users of MX. Do not ask for help in this Forum.
richb
Administrator

Re: Tips for New Users

#11 Post by richb »

I would not put gufw in the essential category for the reason previous stated about internal networks and, not to get into a discussion of firewalls, most routers have hardware firewalls.

I have never used a software firewall intentionally.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

verynicechap

#12 Post by verynicechap »

Sure but for mobile devices the situation might be different. I would say as a rule of thumb. If one uses a mobile device, switch it on, if located behind a (trusted) router, it is not vital.
MX-16, Liquorix kernel, E8400, 8 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD, MATE

richb
Administrator

#13 Post by richb »

verynicechap wrote:Sure but for mobile devices the situation might be different. I would say as a rule of thumb. If one uses a mobile device, switch it on, if located behind a (trusted) router, it is not vital.
Fair enough if you are using public wifi.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

tascoast

#14 Post by tascoast »

A VPN is often cited as desirable if using public wifi, although personally, I just use mobile data for occasional needs, and the home router for daily use.
Inspiron 15 5000-5593- (i7-1065G7) MX 19.2 AHS/MX-21//W10 - Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX-21/MX19/antiX19/Mint 19

skidoo

#15 Post by skidoo »

linexer2016, thanks for starting this topic. It's important for longtime users to stay in touch with the perspective of new users.
Your recommends are straightforward, without the acronyms and geekspeak I'd probably fall into using when attempting to draft a getting started howto.

richb
Administrator

#16 Post by richb »

skidoo wrote:linexer2016, thanks for starting this topic. It's important for longtime users to stay in touch with the perspective of new users.
Your recommends are straightforward, without the acronyms and geekspeak I'd probably fall into using when attempting to draft a getting started howto.
Agree. Good to see these contributions.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

linexer2016

#17 Post by linexer2016 »

Seems my tips post opened up some lively debate and that has to be a good thing :happy:
It also raises in my mind at least a couple of questions/thoughts ...
1. If Ghostery is a little frowned upon is it because of the participation option where in fact you can opt out (and I have). Ghostery has worked very well for me in the Windows environment for a good deal of time so I'm not sure why it shouldn't also be applicable in Linux.
2. Regarding firewalls, I don't run a network so I don't have any experience of a software firewall causing access issues so for anyone not using a local network, I personally feel that a software firewall can't do any harm. Sure, a router is a good hardware firewall but for many years I relied not only on the hardware firewall but also a software firewall in Windows. Again, I am not sure how or why this philosophy is necessarily all that different in Linux but I am sure some of you Linux veterans will enlighten me and I look forward to your comments :happy:
3. one poster mentioned my comment regarding gufw set up by invoking the sudo apt-get install gufw could have been done without such invocation. Fair enough too I suppose but for a new user, a graphical look at the firewall's status and how you can then change it to on is the best way that I found in getting from here to there. Again I am writing from and for a new user perspective.

Cheers.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#18 Post by Jerry3904 »

Yup, MX Linux prefers the GUI approach for average users.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

richb
Administrator

#19 Post by richb »

Item 2 has always been a point of debate and controversy with proponents on both sides of the issue
For item 3 anti's comment was that gufw was already installed so need not be re-installed, but just run and activated.

As far as Ghostery I used it for a long time with no issues. May be more of an issue of purity than function. BTW I now use UBlock Origin with equal success.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

verynicechap

#20 Post by verynicechap »

gufw is not at the same as many software firewalls. Basically it is what is the software which is installed on many routers because they run a kind of software like ufw. There is no such thing as a hard coded firewall. Most routers use Linux and something similar to ufw runs on top or they use ufw, (g), is just the graphical interface. It is a fantastic piece of software, but as such needs to handled with care.
But this would be OT to a beginners guide. Follow my rule of thumb. Debian does not opem ports by default.
Ghostery seems to be a nice addition, but be careful. It will collect data and I try to avoid software which wants to collect data. Try the extensions I have suggested and if they do not work, blame me and kill me. Obviously you will need to adjust them in Firefox. They are Software. Do not be paranoid but additional software could mean additional "Exploit".
MX-16, Liquorix kernel, E8400, 8 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD, MATE

Return to “Tips & Tricks by users”