Tips for New Users

Here is where you can post tips and tricks to share with other users of MX. Do not ask for help in this Forum.
linexer2016

Tips for New Users

#1 Post by linexer2016 »

Tips for New Users

I will divide these tips into two sections – 1. “Essential” (in the sense that I believe they are essential for a happy and durable system/experience) and 2. “Optional” (these seem like a good idea to me but your mileage may vary).

Essential

A. Immediately after installation it is advisable to perform a system update. This can be done easily using the Apt-Notifier (the green colored open box in the panel and it is grey if no updates are yet available) or else using Synaptic Package Manager.
B. A good idea at this point is to check out the system’s firewall status by installing GUFW. This graphical interface to the built in firewall (which curiously is not turned on by default) will enable you by simply sliding the switch from off to on to set the firewall up. The default then of allow outgoing but deny incoming should suffice for most users. I have not myself delved further into the firewall however, that possibility is always there if you are so inclined. GUFW is easily installed by typing at the command line (aka Terminal) sudo apt-get install gufw.
C. In Mx Tools you will find two apps that I believe are fundamentally important. They are Snapshot and Live-usb maker. First run Snapshot and it will perform what the name implies, a full snapshot of your newly installed and pristine system. Then simply place a suitable sized thumb drive in your usb port and create from the snapshot a live-usb. This effectively provides you with a full backup of your system and should ever you have an issue that you can’t resolve (for example, can’t get your system to boot) then you can easily reinstall by placing the thumb drive in the usb port and rebooting. Once the system loads you can install it again over your original disk space(s). I find this method a great way to regularly back up my system and I believe it provides an “essential” safety net for the user.

Optional

A. Firefox is installed by default and IMO is an excellent browser. If you choose to use FF you can further enhance its security and privacy abilities through either/all of these extensions. Ghostery and Ublock Origin are two that help keep advertising and the like to a minimum and there is also in the repository an app called advert-block which provides similar functionality.
B. Turning to personalisation of your system. The default two desktops (workspaces) can easily be increased to say four. I find four a useful and manageable number and I further enhance/differentiate between each desktop by selecting a different wallpaper for each desktop. This level of personalisation is accessible by simply right clicking on each desktop then “Desktop Settings” and following along with the menus that follow.

I have written these tips in the hope that they are a useful starting point for any new user and naturally they are not an exhaustive listing of everything that can be achieved in Linux and no better than in MX16.

Cheers,

Linexer2016.

verynicechap

Re: Tips for New Users

#2 Post by verynicechap »

Well, I would be careful using Ghostery since it is not Open Source.
I would like to add:
HTTPS Everywhere
Self Destruction cookies
and
Fat Free Fox

to that list of Firefox extensions.

If you are in a LAN with Windows Shares and printers, gufw can be a bit tricky as well. Do not hesitate to ask! Otherwise an excellent introduction. And yes, this backup tool is really great - make use of it.
MX-16, Liquorix kernel, E8400, 8 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD, MATE

Adrian
Developer

#3 Post by Adrian »

A. Immediately after installation it is advisable to perform a system update.
Good advice, I actually think it's even better to do an update before installing, sometimes the installer itself has a update (bug fix or new feature), just thought it's worth mentioning.

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

If your wireless connectivity has issues after the machine comes up from a suspend to RAM or hibernation, they can very often be fixed by having pm-utils unload the module (driver) before the suspend and reload it after resuming.

1. Find out what driver you're using with the terminal command inxi -N

2. Create as root (if necessary) an /etc/pm/config.d/modules text file and add a SUSPEND_MODULES config for the driver. As an example, my driver is ath10k_pci, so the entry reads

Code: Select all

SUSPEND_MODULES="ath10k_pci"

skidoo

#5 Post by skidoo »

Linexer2016, I advocate uBLock Origin firefox extension, but NOT ghostery
http://www.ghacks.net/?s=ghostery
https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads ... re.388451/
nor (subject of recent news, FYI) WOT web of trust extension https://www.ghacks.net/2016/11/05/mozil ... extension/

"Snapshot and Live-usb maker"
When testing the latter, I suspected it was intended to entirely replace the earlier snapshot tool.
MX is still shipping both, so I'm left wondering: when is "snapshot" still the preferred tool?

anticapitalista
Developer

#6 Post by anticapitalista »

gufw is installed by default so no need for B
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

verynicechap

#7 Post by verynicechap »

True, but it is not switched on.

anticapitalista
Developer

#8 Post by anticapitalista »

verynicechap wrote:True, but it is not switched on.
So, change B to something like 'enable pre-installed gufw by ... '
IMO the default gufw to be not switched on is a plus
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

verynicechap

#9 Post by verynicechap »

I agree, it will block all internal network traffic. If you do not know what an IP address is, it can be very tricky.

Adrian
Developer

#10 Post by Adrian »

"Snapshot and Live-usb maker"
When testing the latter, I suspected it was intended to entirely replace the earlier snapshot tool.
Live-usb maker writes the ISO to USB flashdrives (I think it has an option to save a live system to USB) while snapshots creates ISOs from live or installed systems.

Return to “Tips & Tricks by users”