Multiple Boot Option

Here is where you can post tips and tricks to share with other users of MX. Do not ask for help in this Forum.
eugen-b

Re: Multiple Boot Option

#11 Post by eugen-b »

@i-Scan, as far as I know, Pentoo is Gentoo based. I don't know if you have to compile packages from source there as in Gentoo. If yes, that might explain your difficulties.
There is actually a very good Debian based distro which might have similar packages for penetration testing like Pentoo - Kali Linux.
You could search the web, how to add a repository and add Kali Linux repo to your MX-15 install. If you don't find it yourself, ask me for help.
MX-14 on a Via Eden 1GHz CPU thin client, 3GB RAM, Via VX800 chipset, Via Chrome9 HC GPU, 32GB M.2 SSD;
btrfs with @ and @home subvolumes for MX-14;
added @antiX and @antiXhome subvolumes and copied antix 13.1 base into them, adjusting Grub from MX-14.

i-Scan

#12 Post by i-Scan »

Changeing out external hard drives in the e-SATA toaster was no problem at all. The boot order just renames to whatever is then in the toaster.

Not everything can be so smooth. I need the GNU Radio from sny other Linux until GNU Radio is installed on MX. But, Pentoo on a hard drive fails to boot because GRUB was on the internal Windows 10 Hard Drive at one time and apparently wants to take control of the GRUB on the e-SATA external drive with the installed Pentoo. Didn't mean to ignore the Pentoo/Gentoo ideas, either. My understanding is that anything in Gentoo runs in Pentoo also. So, I guess untill I get GNU-Radio running somewhere else, I will just use the Pentoo Live-USB which I installed from. Pentoo updates very easily. But, installing new stuff to Pentoo is such a definate maybe that I went to MEPIS/MX in order to retain some sanity.

There are ways to create persistence with Pentoo Live USB. I think I may have GNU Radio alternatives on other Linux. Kali would also do but it also seems even more bound to take over Windows 10. So Kali is not going to work. Live - GNU Radio and I think some Debian GNU Radio Distro are both out there.
i-Scan@Win10/Pentoo/MX-15_x64 Fusion 24Dec15
Dell OptiPlex 780 A15Bios date: 08/2013
Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E8400 2992 MHz
Graphics: [AMD/ATI] RV610 [Radeon HD 2400 PRO/XT] Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV610 GLX v: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2 8GB RAM

i-Scan

#13 Post by i-Scan »

@eugen-b : Pentoo's package manager is the same as in Gentoo. I may have figured out how to add a Kali Repository to my MX install. Yes, MX installations are far easier than Pentoo.

Funny how I never really intended to turn myself into a computer geek even as much as I am and was not aware of until all this came up. Thanks for your offer. Whenever I do anything with Linux I ask myself the same questions, "Wonder what the reason is why every new Linux command is encrypted?" MX is refreshing. I like doing so much in GUI.
Graphics: [AMD/ATI] RV610 [Radeon HD 2400 PRO/XT] Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV610 GLX v: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2 8GB RAM

asqwerth
Developer

#14 Post by asqwerth »

Sabayon is a Gentoo-based distro with a GUI package manager (Rigo). Installation is also done with a graphical installer.

Perhaps you might be able to use it if you need to use packages from Gentoo repositories.

Just an idea.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

eugen-b

#15 Post by eugen-b »

Hello i-Scan!
Would this package give you GNU Radio functionality?
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/gqrx-sdr
There is also Gnu Radio on Debian: https://packages.debian.org/jessie/gnuradio
Shame on us that we didn't look there before.
So, you wouldn't need to add any repositories. Just install like other packages and look for info how to configure GNU Radio on Debian.
Simply open Synaptic (the software installer) ant search 'defined radio' (because 'software defined radio' is too long). You will find some more probably interesting packages.
MX-14 on a Via Eden 1GHz CPU thin client, 3GB RAM, Via VX800 chipset, Via Chrome9 HC GPU, 32GB M.2 SSD;
added @antiX and @antiXhome subvolumes and copied antix 13.1 base into them, adjusting Grub from MX-14.

BitJam
Developer

#16 Post by BitJam »

i-Scan wrote: On another I would use either Pentoo Linux or maybe bootable-GNU Radio (Linux.)
If you are interested in Pentoo or bootable-GNU Radio because they are "live" systems, you might want to check out running MX on a LiveUSB. Our LiveUSB/Frugal-install has a lot of advanced features. Some people use the MX LiveUSB or the antiX LiveUSB as their main system.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

i-Scan

#17 Post by i-Scan »

Hello, eugen-b

I may try the ideas asqwerth suggested as well. But yours scored a Home Run -- And that just from searching with "defined radio"! I had managed to have GRC (the GNU Radio Companion GUI) already added, up, and running. Was also in part ready to work with GQRX. I think your more that may be interesting that you mentioned were what proved instrumental in getting it to run, because right after I added these the GQRX receiver started running. GQRX still is not listed with other applications--no big thing for me because I can just remember it is there. But I'd rather try LINRAD over GQRX_SDR and found this... /home/iscan/Downloads/lir04-07.tbz with the following instructions:

"Install as a regular user.

As a regular user you would probably like to install linrad-xx.yy in the directory /home/current_user/linrad/linrad-xx.yy/

To do that, place lirxx-yy.tbz in the directory /home/current_user/linrad/, log into that directory and type tar xvfj lirxx-yy.tbz. That will create the linrad directory.

Descend into the Linrad directory ant type sudo ./configure. Follow the instructions you see on the screen. The configure script may give hints on how to install missing packages. As a regular user you would have to type sudo in front of all such commands to get the permission to install software.

Install as root.

As root you may place your linrad directory whereever you want. Place lirxx-yy at a place of your choice. Log into that directory and type tar xvfj lirxx-yy.tbz. That will create the linrad directory as a sub-directory.

Descend into the Linrad directory ant type ./configure. Follow the instructions you see on the screen. "

====
So are these, the following commands, what I need?

mkdir linrad

cp Downloads/lir04-07.tbz /home/iscan/linrad/

chdir linrad

tar xvfj lirxx-yy.tbz

chdir /home/iscan/linrad

sudo ./configure THIS IS SCARY: Follow the instructions you see on the screen. The configure script may give hints on how to install missing packages. As a regular user you would have to type sudo in front of all such commands to get the permission to install software.

sudo make xlinrad64 (64 bit OS only) produce xlinrad64 for X11.

sudo make install

===

With MX this is all starting to truly resemble the reasons I started into Linux in the first place!

eugen-b

#18 Post by eugen-b »

Yeah, ./configure is scary, but it will do no more harm than you not being able to compile the code. If s.th. goes wrong simply post the terminal output of ./configure here and I think there will be at least 5 competent people to give you advise on that (probably not me).
However, I'm asking myself why sudo ./configure? Otherwise, everything looks right.
And I'm happy I was helpful! I don't know anything about SDR matter besides the name, so can't help with package choice.

i-Scan

#19 Post by i-Scan »

Thank you! This is getting so good that even rough stuff doesn't feel nearly as overwhelming. You are right. And I get your point that su is not needed on that. I am just starting to understand some of this. Between the help here and videos of ppl working through their installations, every day a little more of this makes sense.

eugen-b

#20 Post by eugen-b »

i-Scan wrote:Thank you! This is getting so good that even rough stuff doesn't feel nearly as overwhelming. You are right. And I get your point that su is not needed on that. I am just starting to understand some of this. Between the help here and videos of ppl working through their installations, every day a little more of this makes sense.
Also, no sudo neede before make. I only know to write sudo before make install. But it depends on how qualified the source of your quote is.

Return to “Tips & Tricks by users”