Spaces in file names and out of space issues in Win 7.

Here is where you can post tips and tricks to share with other users of MX. Do not ask for help in this Forum.
richb
Administrator

Spaces in file names and out of space issues in Win 7.

#1 Post by richb »

Some tips that all old hands will certainly know:

I ran out of space on a VirtualBox.vdi file to run Win 7. I used the Vboxmanage command in konsole to increase its size. Unfortunately I had spaces in the path and file names so the command threw an error. Removing the spaces from the file name did not work as it did not recognize the file as a registered .vdi.

Easy solution, after Google search, Enclose the file path and name in quotes.

Prior to increasing the size I did have enough space to run Win 7, in Vbox.. When I tried to print something, the wireless. printer would not respond although it showed being on my network. Tried various fixes, until it dawned on me it was the space problem. I believe a temp file is created prior to printing. With no available space for it, nothing printed, and no error message was given. Increase space, that problem solved.

I believe Linux creates a temp file prior to printing as well. Can someone verify that?
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: Spaces in file names and out of space issues in Win 7.

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

you should be getting temporary files in the windows spooler. cups also has a spooler and yes, there will be some temp files as well.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Return to “Tips & Tricks by users”