Easy md5sum checking

Here is where you can post tips and tricks to share with other users of MX. Do not ask for help in this Forum.
dyfi

Re: Easy md5sum checking

#11 Post by dyfi »

@ Jerry 3904

Yes, you are correct - most new users would appreciate a GUI. I can remember in my early linux days always looking for a GUI for everything. The terminal can be terminal for learners!

entropyfoe

#12 Post by entropyfoe »

I MX, I installed k3b for burning. It computes the md5 automatically when opening an .iso for bruning.
Asus PRIME X470-PRO
AMD Ryzen 3600X (12 threads @ 3.8 GHz)
32 Gig DDR4 3600 (Crucial CL 16)
Nvidia GeForce GT 710
Samsung 970 NVMe nvme0n1 P1-3=MX-23, P4=testing
Samsung 980 NVMe =1TB Data, plus 2TB WD =backups
on-board ethernet & sound

joany

#13 Post by joany »

If you are a KDE aficionado, you can create an md5sum action in Dolphin. Copy this code into a xxx.desktop file in the directory /usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Service
ServiceTypes=KonqPopupMenu/Plugin
MimeType=application/x-iso;application/x-cd-image;inode/ISO-image;
Icon=dialog-ok
Actions=checkmd5;
TryExec=md5sum

[Desktop Action checkmd5]
Name=Read md5 Checksum
Icon=dialog-ok
Exec=notify-send -i "dialog-ok" "Checksum" "`md5sum %F`" 
Make sure libnotify-bin and xsel are installed on your system. When you right-click on a file, the action "Read md5 Checksum" will appear. By selecting that, a popup will appear in the Panel notifications area that displays the file name and its md5sum.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Werner P. Schulz

#14 Post by Werner P. Schulz »

The terminal can be terminal for learners!
Who never learned the basics of terminal will never become a real and good lover of Linux! It's the terminal which makes the big difference to Windows.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#15 Post by chrispop99 »

Werner P. Schulz wrote:Who never learned the basics of terminal will never become a real and good lover of Linux! It's the terminal which makes the big difference to Windows.
When Microsoft first introduced a GUI, it was also said it wasn't 'proper' computing.

I have used various Linux distributions for around 15 years to serve my main computing needs. I help out here and elsewhere, and try to explain what Linux is to non-technical people. In those respects, I feel I fit the description of 'a real and good lover of Linux'. However, I only ever use the terminal as an absolute last resort, and consider it a failure to some degree if I have to do so.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Jerry3904
Administrator

#16 Post by Jerry3904 »

[This probably deserves a separate thread...]

It's not an either/or type of question, but both/and. For me it's like any good appliance (a concept that Apple has grasped well): most of the time, it should just carry out the task at hand and leave me alone. But if I want to change its operations, I do not want the case to be sealed shut.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

asqwerth
Developer

#17 Post by asqwerth »

If easy, GUI-based checking of hashsums can be added MX15 without the size of the iso image taking a hit, why not?

For newer users of MX or Linux in general, gtkhash can serve that purpose.

For MX users who know how to check hashsums using the terminal, or who in any case are going to install KDE packages like Krusader or K3b (which have hashsum checking functionality among their many features), the small program can be ignored.

I have found that I prefer ripping my CDs with Asunder rather than K3b (which I have in my Kubuntu partition), so I don't intend to install k3b in MX. I don't do much disk burning nowadays. I only learnt about Krusader recently so don't have it in MX. Maybe I'll install it when I get my new computer soon.

So gtkhash and/or the Thunar plugin work well for me. It can calculate different types of hashsums - not just md5 - at one go. If I were to use the terminal to work out more than 1 type of hashsum for the same file, lazy ol' me would have to do even more typing, I think. :-)
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

malspa

#18 Post by malspa »

lucky9 wrote:If you put gtkhash in the Synaptic Search box you come up with an extension for Thunar.
Interesting thread. I've never used a GUI for md5sum checking, and don't see much need for one. But... well, I just added gtkhash in Wheezy Xfce... Hey, pretty cool!
GtkHash_001.png

TJ Hoye

#19 Post by TJ Hoye »

I probably use as many guis as anyone else here.

When I pointed out the *directions* given for the gtkhash/thunar
approach don't work for me, as I understand them,
most of what I got back was 'it works for me' as a response.

I was hoping someone might work with me to help make my prospective
md5sum gui work. At present, it only works in a foolish fashion.
And, I do know another way that's pretty good, in itself.

It's not an either/or discussion I intended to start. I use
linux because I *can* have it both ways. I'm using MX because it's
cutting edge; but you have to look under the hood to see some of that.
It's not just its guis that are cutting edge.
64-bit MX -19.1 Samsung LiveUSB on Dell quad-core laptop

malspa

#20 Post by malspa »

@ TJ Hoye: In my case, with gtkhash, I didn't have the check sum in a folder along with the .iso, and I did have to copy and paste the check sum into the "Check:" box. And it wasn't totally obvious to me at first how to use the GUI, so I see what you're saying. Also, I have to admit, I had no idea what Jerry3904 meant by "just RC the ISO."

But it does look like a nice tool, saves a little bit of time because you don't have to check the md5sum by eye.

Return to “Tips & Tricks by users”