aptoncd: handy tool for reinstallations/unconnected systems

Here is where you can post tips and tricks to share with other users of MX. Do not ask for help in this Forum.
Stevo
Developer

aptoncd: handy tool for reinstallations/unconnected systems

#1 Post by Stevo »

A nice article about it: http://www.unixmen.com/create-local-rep ... ntudebian/

Looks like it would be handy for installing anything on a machine without Net access, provided you do have a machine with a connection. Also a solution for those with bandwith limits that face the need to reinstall their current systems, in combination with the dpkg-select tool. MEPIS clears the apt package cache by default every boot, but this can be turned off in the MEPIS System Assistant, provided you have the extra space.

Hmmm--it may be useful to create aptoncd ISO images with handy tools, such as Wicd, Ceni, and the network-manager packages, and put them up for download. I know those have given people trouble in the past.

JBoman

Re: aptoncd: handy tool for reinstallations/unconnected syst

#2 Post by JBoman »

I have it installed for the very reasons you mention. I had recently disabled it due to errors I was getting when updating. I think though the errors were related to what you mention about Mepis clearing the cache... didn't know it did that so I'll change that and try it again. :crossfingers:
http://patentabsurdity.com/
AMD 64x2 2.6GHz 4GB ram MX-18.1 KDE regular updates
"beware a frequent flirt with potential disaster"

lucky9

#3 Post by lucky9 »

Useful for multi-boot also.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

qtech

#4 Post by qtech »

Thanks Stevo, that's a nice find. I appreciate you taking the time to share it with us. Even with a good network connection, this tool should shave off a fair chunk of time and effort for a reinstall.

Malanrich

#5 Post by Malanrich »

Very nice. Had no idea this was already in the repos. If I understand it, seems like a simpler solution for syncing boxes than transferring apps via remastering.

balarm

Re: aptoncd: handy tool for reinstallations/unconnected systems

#6 Post by balarm »

How can I keep updated my "unconnected desktop" by means an USB-drive instead of a cd??? Is there any other method??? anyway aptoncd isn't in the repo now.
Thanks
mx Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.14.2
Distro: MX-19.3x64 patito feo October 21 2019
Machine: Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 1951A47 v: ThinkPad T60

kmathern
Developer

#7 Post by kmathern »

balarm wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:47 pm How can I keep updated my "unconnected desktop" by means an USB-drive instead of a cd??? Is there any other method??? anyway aptoncd isn't in the repo now.
Thanks
Maybe look at this: https://packages.debian.org/stretch/apt-offline-gui.

balarm

#8 Post by balarm »

Do i have to install it to both the machines???
Thanks for answering.
mx Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.14.2
Distro: MX-19.3x64 patito feo October 21 2019
Machine: Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 1951A47 v: ThinkPad T60

kmathern
Developer

#9 Post by kmathern »

balarm wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:20 pm Do i have to install it to both the machines???

From what I see in the description I don't think it needs to be installed on the machine with the internet connection
apt-offline can be used to generate a signature on a machine (with no network). This signature contains all download information required for the APT database system. This signature file can be used on another machine connected to the internet (which need not be a Debian box and can even be running windows) to download the updates. The downloaded data will contain all updates in a format understood by APT and this data can be used by apt-offline to update the non-networked machine.

Return to “Tips & Tricks by users”