-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Instructions to upgrade to Community submitted KDE 4.6.5

Just as the name says, here is where you can post tips and tricks to share with other users of MEPIS.
richb
Administrator

Instructions to upgrade to Community submitted KDE 4.6.5

#1 Post by richb » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:25 pm

Please place any comments in the thread here, http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 77&t=31981, as this thread is locked.

Based on work done by Stevo and instructions written by kmathern

Steps 3-10 do an initial upgrade with the default repos and distro preference set to 'prefer highest version'

Step 11 does a reboot between the initial upgrade and the KDE 4.6.5 upgrade

Steps 12-18 perform the actual upgrade to KDE 4.6.5 with the kde repo enabled and the mepis repo disabled. Preferred distro set to 'mepis'

Step 19 reboot after the upgrade

Step 20 sets repos and distro preference as shown, repos to the default setting plus the KDE repo enabled. Be aware, however, if a newer KDE version is added to the repo you will see major upgrades with this repo still enabled, and should not upgrade until advised to do so.

I'm trying to make it a little safer by pre-downloading the packages first by using Synaptic's "Download package files only" option, then actually installing/upgrading in the next step.
1) If this is a 'fresh' install goto step 3.

2) If this is a 'mature' install of Mepis 11 do a full upgrade with the repos you currently have enabled and with Synaptic's preferred distribution unchanged from what you've been using.

3) Set the repositories to the default repos as shown below, on a "fresh" install they will already be as shown.

• * if you have problems with the mirrorservice.org mepis repo, select the ftp.mepis.com repo instead

4) Reload

5) In Synaptic goto Settings > Preferences > Distribution. Choose: "Always prefer the highest version"
6) If this is a 'mature' install there probably won't be any upgradeable packages because they were upgraded in Step 2, if there are no upgradeable packages goto step 11

7) Reload

8) "Mark All Upgrades" and press "Apply"

9) In the Summary box that appears, click the "Download package files only checkbox", then press 'Apply'.

If an error occurs while downloading packages, steps 7, 8 & 9 can be repeated. When the Summary box shows "0 B have to be downloaded", proceed to the next step.

10) A 'fresh' install will have approx.120 upgradeable packages. You can either "Mark All Upgrades" and do the upgrade all in one step. Or you can mark and install a few packages at a time until all the "Installed (upgradeable)" packages have been upgraded. Be sure to uncheck the "Download package files only" checkbox after pressing "Apply" the first time

11) Reboot

12) Disable the mepis repository and add the kde repo
  • Code: Select all

URI:          http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/kde/
    Distribution: experimental
    Section(s):   test

• Repositories should now be as shown below

13) Reload

14) In Synaptic goto Settings > Preferences > Distribution. Choose: "Prefer versions from: mepis"
15) Reload

16) "Mark All Upgrades" and press "Apply"

17) In the Summary box that appears, click the "Download package files only checkbox", then press 'Apply'.
If an error occurs while downloading packages, steps 15, 16 & 17 can be repeated. When the Summary box shows "0 B have to be downloaded", proceed to the next step.

18) You will have approx. 212 upgradeable packages, 37 newly installed packages and the packages: knm-runtime, konq-plugins, libakonadiprivate1, libkdegames5 & libkonq5a will be removed. You can either "Mark All Upgrades" and do the upgrade all in one step. Or you can mark and install a few packages at a time until all "Installed (upgradeable)" packages have been upgraded. Be sure to uncheck the "Download package files only" checkbox after pressing "Apply" the first time.

19) Reboot

20) Set repos as shown and preferences to mepis as preferred distribution.
repos1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Frank D. Hubeny
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Instructions to upgrade to Community submitted KDE 4.6.5

#2 Post by Frank D. Hubeny » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:36 pm

Good Afternoon richb;

Thank you for the instructions and the pictures showing exactly what to do. It helps those of us who are new to this all like me.
Until the next time we meet thank you for taking the time out of your day to visit
with me. I enjoyed spending time with you.

Frank D. Hubeny

richb
Administrator

#3 Post by richb » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:40 pm

Frank D. Hubeny wrote:Good Afternoon richb;

Thank you for the instructions and the pictures showing exactly what to do. It helps those of us who are new to this all like me.
This was put together by kmathern and thanks to him. I was only the editor.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

Frank D. Hubeny
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by Frank D. Hubeny » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:48 pm

Good afternoon richb;

Thanks for the correction. I will thank him as well.
Until the next time we meet thank you for taking the time out of your day to visit
with me. I enjoyed spending time with you.

Frank D. Hubeny

Return to “Tips&Tricks”