Zim Desktop Wiki

Here is where you can post tips and tricks to share with other users of MX. Do not ask for help in this Forum.
Arjen

Zim Desktop Wiki

#1 Post by Arjen »

I hope I'm posting this to the most appropriate section.

Today I installed Zim Desktop Wiki. It's a note taking application / personal wiki that looks really nice, so I'm sharing it here with anyone who might be interested.

Some features
  • Files are stored as plain text files - so you can edit your notes outside Zim using any text editor
  • Notes can be stored in a hierarchy and can link to each other wiki-style
  • You can insert images, hyperlinks, use text formatting...
  • Wiki-like markup syntax internally, but the editor is wysiwyg
  • Works on Linux, Windows and Mac
  • Export to HTML available, and even includes a simple webserver for quickly sharing notes on the local network!
  • Since notes are stored in plain text files, you can sync them with Dropbox (or another synchronization service), and access them on any pc, phone or even through the Dropbox web interface! Wow!
  • Many plugins available: calendar, task list, graphs (graphviz), formulas (latex), source control, and more
In my view, that's pretty awesome! Also see the attached screenshot.

Installation on MEPIS 11

The latest version is 0.53, but the Debian stable repository still has version 0.48.

I managed to install Zim 0.53 by downloading the Debian package from the official download page, making sure the dependencies are met, and installing with Gdebi. The only unmet dependency I had was python-xdg.

So installation is actually pretty easy, although one of the local gurus might want to comment if this is the best way to do it.

Enjoy! :happy:

Malanrich

Re: Zim Desktop Wiki

#2 Post by Malanrich »

I love Zim. Actually, it's been part of the default antiX install for quite a while now. AntiX 11 uses Zim 5.0, so anyone with an antiX disk can try it out that way.

kapookee

#3 Post by kapookee »

Arjen wrote: Today I installed Zim Desktop Wiki. It's a note taking application / personal wiki that looks really nice, so I'm sharing it here with anyone who might be interested.
Thanks for mentioning this. I can really use it! :rock:
Laptop: Compaq Presario 2.2 GHz Celeron 64 bit 2 Gb RAM Intel Graphics Atheros AR9285
Desktp1: ASUS M2NBP-VM CSM AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0 GHz 3 Gb RAM GeForce 9800 GT
Desktp2: Dell Optiplex GX620 Intel P4 64 X2 3.6 GHz 4 Gb RAM Intel graphics

Arjen

#4 Post by Arjen »

@kapookee: Good to hear!
Malanrich wrote:I love Zim. Actually, it's been part of the default antiX install for quite a while now. AntiX 11 uses Zim 5.0, so anyone with an antiX disk can try it out that way.
Version 5.0, are you sure it's the same application? Because the latest version of Zim Desktop Wiki is 0.53.

Malanrich

#5 Post by Malanrich »

Arjen wrote:@kapookee: Good to hear!
Malanrich wrote:I love Zim. Actually, it's been part of the default antiX install for quite a while now. AntiX 11 uses Zim 5.0, so anyone with an antiX disk can try it out that way.
Version 5.0, are you sure it's the same application? Because the latest version of Zim Desktop Wiki is 0.53.
Oops! Of course it's .50 (which is why I don't trust myself to do my own taxes!) :)

Arjen

#6 Post by Arjen »

Malanrich wrote:Oops! Of course it's .50 (which is why I don't trust myself to do my own taxes!) :)
:laugh: Good to hear you like Zim!

notquite

#7 Post by notquite »

Hi I was using CherryTree which is great but it seems to have a strange issue for me on MX (but not on Arch)
So I tried Zim
I like the plain text storage but Cherry let you encrypt the data base, I found a solution
https://github.com/lenzenmi/encfswrapper
I also like the Tags feature just by putting @ in front of the thing you want to tag. Also being able to link to another file in the side bar by just dragging in onto the main window.

Return to “Tips & Tricks by users”