Welcome!

Please read this important information about Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.
Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 Final release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

File sharing between MX-15 & Windows 10

Questions about Networking that deals with wireless cards, ethernet, modems, samba and anything else related to these, including software help. Tutorials for any of these can be posted too.

Remember to provide relevant info in your posts, such as the following information:

Version of Mepis being used
Card Manufacturer (i.e. Linksys)
Card Model (i.e. WMP54G)
Type: (PCI or PCMCIA)
Current Kernel in use on their system (i.e. 2.6.10)
Udev or Hotplug
Exact steps taken to get the card working if it is not immediately recognized by MEPIS.
muskt
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

File sharing between MX-15 & Windows 10

#1 Postby muskt » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:03 pm

Greetings group.

It has been quite a while since I attempted to network or share files between Mepis/MX & Windows. (I am still dumb as a box of rocks with all things Linux--I freely admit that). I was able to accomplish it a few years ago with much help and hand-holding by the members of this group. I am attempting to share files (pictures & written docs,) between my laptop and desktop via wireless networking. Both of the machines involved are the same ones used in past attempts. Other than the OS, nothing has changed.

The machines are currently both dual booting MX-15 64 and Windows 10 Pro 64. Windows to Windows is no problem--works flawlessly every time. Why am I doing this to myself--I would like to learn...End Of Story.

So, here is the question. Can someone point me to documentation that will plainly spell out the steps required to allow the two computers to converse over the network?

Currently, with the desktop box booted into Windows 10, & the laptop into MX-15, the Windows machine can see the MX machine and can send files to the MX machine and pull files from the MX machine. When attempting to see the Windows machine from the MX machine, it says it sees it, but the shared folder it sees is actually on the MX machine. I do have a firewall (Kaspersky) on the Windows machine, but have turned it off while attempting the communications (eliminates that variable).

I have spent hours on the web attempting to locate procedures for connecting the two machines--unsuccessfully. I searched the old posts to see if I could locate how I did it previously, but could not locate the exact procedures.

Again, I am asking only for a point toward any documentation that explains how to teach the two OSs to speak to each other. Of course, if someone wishes to hold my hand (figuratively, of course) through this very frustrating exercise, I would not object.

One more item, I have searched the MX manual and could not find what I needed to successfully complete this task--That does not mean that it is not there, just that I could not find it.

Thanks,
Jerry in Delaware

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: File sharing between MX-15 & Windows 10

#2 Postby Jerry3904 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:26 pm

Something here?

http://mepiscommunity.org/search/node/samba

Or here?

Users Manual, Section 3.5.5
Production: 4.13.0-1-amd64, MX-17, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.13.0-1-386. MX-17, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Postby dolphin_oracle » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:36 pm

on my windows 10 system at home, I have to enable network discovery. also, if I leave no password, the share is actually not browseable to other machines, windows or otherwise. password protected shares are visible to all my machines.

you can direct address a windows share in thunar. for instance, my media folder on my mediapc (windows10) is

smb://mediapc/media

you might also find mx-findshares a useful tool, as it will show you shares that thunar might not show in its network browsing.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
eeepc 904ha antix 15 32 bit (streaming media player)
acer c720p chromebook - chromeos / MX15-64 (custom snapshot) live USB.
lenovo s21e - antiX-16 MX16(live-usb)

muskt
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Postby muskt » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:50 pm

Thanks, guys.

I shall attempt to accomplish your suggestions tomorrow. Right now, my poor old, bald, & empty head is about to explode.

Jerry in Delaware

muskt
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Postby muskt » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:54 pm

Well, I am so upset right now as to be almost unable to type. I just spent about 30 minutes typing a response to last evenings post, & it suddenly disappeared (fat finger syndrome, I suppose).

To summarize, I am just about to the point of formatting my Linux drives and staying strictly with Windows.

It simply is too frustrating to continue hitting my hand with the Linux hammer.

Yes, Jerry3904, I have read the manual. It is good. No question about that. It does not; however, address many of the issues that I need assistance with. The web is virtually no help--info is either outdated or non-applicable.

The members of this forum have been exceedingly tolerant of my sometimes foolish questions/rantings. For that, I am grateful. Thank You All.

I would really like to remain and hopefully to learn; however, I fear that this endeavor is beyond my capabilities.

So, I need to decide. Do I stay or leave, stay or leave. I think, for now, I will just sign off for a few days to give myself time to cool down.

Once again, Thank You All.

Good Night,
Jerry in Delaware

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Postby Jerry3904 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:56 pm

Wow, that sounds not good. I'm sorry to hear that it is bothering you to that extent.

I don't know how to do what you are asking without a lot of fuss, which I am unwilling to go through. So I just use a portable Toshiba 1 TB USB drive like this one that serves as my hourly backup location for everything on my main production machine. When I need to do something in Windows--which rarely happens--I unplug the drive from my Linux machine and plug it into the Windows laptop.
Production: 4.13.0-1-amd64, MX-17, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.13.0-1-386. MX-17, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

Eadwine Rose
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Postby Eadwine Rose » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:13 am

I do the same thing, without the unplugging that is, as I have both linux and windows harddrives in this system and just select which one to boot in the boot device screen.

I hope that the solution Jerry gives is one you can use so you can still stay and use linux :smile:
MX-17_x64 Horizon 2017-12-15 ext4 Xfce 4.12 * AMD Asus M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 * ASUS GeForce GT640-1GD5-L NVIDIA 387.34 * AMD Proc. Athlon II X4 635, sAM3 * HDA ATI SB VT1708S Analog * 2x4Gb DDR3 1600 Kingst * 22" Samsung SyncMaster P2250 * HP DJ F2280

Dieselrider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#8 Postby Dieselrider » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:13 am

I never had a problem with Linux reading windows files but used to have lots of problems with Windows playing well with Linux.

This makes me wish I still had a box I was dual booting from so I could see what trouble you are having.
Always try to be the best but, never think you are the best.

MX-17 64 bit
Asus M4A79XTD EVO Mobo,
AMD Phenom II X4 965 CPU,
Corsair 8GB DDR3 RAM,
Seagate 1TB HDD,
Ultra LSP550 550W Power Supply

whell
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#9 Postby whell » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:57 pm

Windows doesn't make it easy, and Samba is sometimes trial and error, but it sounds like the hardest part is done: allowing Windows to read / write to a folder (or folders) on your MX machine. Maybe step by step is the way to do this.

First, have you identified the folders in your Win PC that you want to share? If not, open Windows Explorer and locate the folder that you want to share on the network. Right click on that folder and then click on "Properties" on the menu, then click the "Sharing" tab. Set the sharing preferences.

Now, let's assume that the name of your windows machine is "muskt". Go into Thunar on the MX machine, and type the following into the address line: "smb://muskt/" (without the quotes, and substituting whatever the name of your Win PC is for "muskt). Do you see your folder? Can you open it?

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#10 Postby dolphin_oracle » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:08 pm

These videos might be useful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIGH2XJ06EI (creating samba share with gui tool)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3KYukPvP7U (creating samba shares via manual method with text editor)

https://youtu.be/JkRI7qNrvFc (network share browsing or Where the Heck are my Shared Folders - Linux and windows 10)

***edited to correct first link***
Last edited by dolphin_oracle on Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
eeepc 904ha antix 15 32 bit (streaming media player)
acer c720p chromebook - chromeos / MX15-64 (custom snapshot) live USB.
lenovo s21e - antiX-16 MX16(live-usb)

Return to “Networking”