Welcome!

Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17-b1-full release info here
  • antiX-16.2 release info here
New users
  • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
  • Read Forum Rules

File sharing between MX-15 & Windows 10

Questions about Networking that deals with wireless cards, ethernet, modems, samba and anything else related to these, including software help. Tutorials for any of these can be posted too.

Remember to provide relevant info in your posts, such as the following information:

Version of Mepis being used
Card Manufacturer (i.e. Linksys)
Card Model (i.e. WMP54G)
Type: (PCI or PCMCIA)
Current Kernel in use on their system (i.e. 2.6.10)
Udev or Hotplug
Exact steps taken to get the card working if it is not immediately recognized by MEPIS.
lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: File sharing between MX-15 & Windows 10

#11 Postby lucky9 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:41 pm

Many times hitting the Back button a time or two can resurrect what I've typed. But I have gotten in the habit for anything that's more than 3 or 4 paragraphs long of selecting the text and clicking Copy before hitting the Submit button.
As a matter of fact I just did that when I clicked Submit and the whirling balls kept whirling way too long. So I clicked Cancel then Copied the text, then hit the Preview button. Then hit the Submit button.
So this may not be a problem with Linux but of the site's traffic or software.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

richb
Administrator

#12 Postby richb » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:46 pm

lucky9 wrote:Many times hitting the Back button a time or two can resurrect what I've typed. But I have gotten in the habit for anything that's more than 3 or 4 paragraphs long of selecting the text and clicking Copy before hitting the Submit button.
As a matter of fact I just did that when I clicked Submit and the whirling balls kept whirling way too long. So I clicked Cancel then Copied the text, then hit the Preview button. Then hit the Submit button.
So this may not be a problem with Linux bu of the site's traffic or software.

or ISP.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX-15- 64 - migrated to MX-16 RC1
HD Test: MX-16 RC1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB, 350 GB HD

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#13 Postby lucky9 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:00 pm

Yes. Or a server problem somewhere in between.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Paul..
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#14 Postby Paul.. » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:25 am

Hey Jerry (muskt), I know you have struggled with Microsoft-to-Linux networking in the past so I understand your frustration. By way of explanation, Microsoft's networking has long been a strategic weapon used to keep out competitors. Windows 10 networking is no different. Perhaps the new CEO (who rapidly seems to be moving closer to Linux) will change all that, but W10 was probably already in the can from a development point of view when he took office so we may need to wait to see changes in that area.

Anyway, here is what I did between two machines to make file sharing work. The machines: MX-15 home-built daily driver & Windows 10 dual-boot on a Dell Inspiron all-in-one desktop..

MX-15
No changes to stock installation

Windows 10
My idea here was to turn off as many password protections and security roadblocks as I could to just make it work. It did work, but if you take this route (and find that it does work), I would suggest going back over each item and turning on protections one-by-one until file sharing breaks, and then turn off the protection that broke the file sharing. Otherwise, leave the whole thing wide open as these directions will show you how to do.

1. Leave HomeGroup. Microsoft created a pre-configured closed group called "HomeGroup" a few versions ago. It is turned on by default and makes it very difficult for any computer that is not Windows-based to connect and share files. Leave HomeGroup by:

Start->Control Panel->Network and Internet->HomeGroup->Leave HomeGroup

2. Remove all network protections.

Start->Control Panel->Network and Internet->Network Sharing Center->Advanced Sharing Settings (this is on the left sidebar)

Here there will be three categories (each has a carrot next to it to expand):
Private (Current Profile), Guest or Public, All Networks.

Private
Select: “Turn on network discovery”
Select: “Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices.”
Leave the HomeGroup Settings alone...it is already disabled since you have left the HomeGroup

Guest or Public
Select: “Turn on network discovery”
Select. “Turn on file or printer sharing.”

All Networks
Select: “Turn on sharing so anyone so anyone with network access can read and write files in the Public folders.”
Select: “Turn off password protected sharing.”
Leave the other selections on the page as is.

“Save changes”...and it will ask you to logout and login again.

EDIT: Removed 3. Turn off the firewall...as it is not necessary.

4. Make sure Access Control for a Public folder is turned off. (In this example, I used the folder “Pictures”). Start->File Explorer ...then Right Click on Pictures->Properties->Sharing (tab)->Click Share button->then In blank pull-down dialog window select Guest>then click Add button->then change Permission Level to Read/Write->then click Share button at bottom.

5. To be doubly sure “Pictures” is wide open, Start->File Explorer ...then Right Click on Pictures->Properties->Sharing (tab)->Click Advanced Sharing button->Click Permissions button->highlight Group “Everyone” and make sure that all three boxes are ticked under Allow->Full Control, Change, Read...then click OK at bottom

That should make Pictures wide open to everyone on the network. Now go to your MX-15 machine.

6. Open Thunar->Browse Network->Windows Network->Select WORKGROUP->Select [Name of Windows 10 machine]->Pictures
7. Try creating a file in Pictures...then check the Windows 10 machine for changes.
Last edited by Paul.. on Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Daily: MSI 890FXA-GD70 | AMD Phenom II X6 1055T | GeForce GTX 750 Ti | 8G
Test: Dell Inspiron 20 3043 | Intel quad N3530 | Intel Atom Graphics | 4G
Test: Thinkpad T431s | Intel i5-3437U | Intel 3rd gen Graphics | 4G

PhilH
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#15 Postby PhilH » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:31 am

I know it's not as sexy as samba and all that, but being lazy I use Teamviewer to "connect" (just a thought?). It allows/enables a lot more between the machines, and I can't speak to Win10 use (only use is with Win8.1).

Regards,
Phil (in NC)
Distro: MX-16_x64 Metamorphosis December 2016,
Mobo: Acer model: Aspire 5517, Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-42 (-MCP-), Memory: 2757.5MB

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#16 Postby Jerry3904 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:08 am

pcallahan80 wrote:Hey Jerry, I know you have struggled with Microsoft-to-Linux networking in the past so I understand your frustration. By way of explanation, Microsoft's networking has long been a strategic weapon used to keep out competitors. Windows 10 networking is no different. Perhaps the new CEO (who rapidly seems to be moving closer to Linux) will change all that, but W10 was probably already in the can from a development point of view when he took office so we may need to wait to see changes in that area.

<snip>

6. Open Thunar->Browse Network->Windows Network->Select WORKGROUP->Select [Name of Windows 10 machine]->Pictures
7. Try creating a file in Pictures...then check the Windows 10 machine for changes.
Posted this excellent method as a new Wiki entry with the generic title "Microsoft -- Linux"

http://www.mepiscommunity.org/wiki/syst ... soft-linux
Production: 4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64, MX-15 RC1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 3.16-0-4-686-pae. MX-15, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

muskt
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#17 Postby muskt » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:27 pm

Well, for better or worse, I’m still here. I feel a bit humbled by the wonderful assistance provided by the members, here. I thank you all. A couple of days away, and a couple of decent night’s sleep & I feel significantly better.

Since my last post, I have done considerable studying of the info posted about my networking tribulations. I do not wish to offend anyone, so please try to not read any hidden meanings into my words.

There are instances when someone relatively unfamiliar with the less obvious inner workings of Linux needs assistance. Frequently (at least in my case) not being familiar with terminology makes asking for assistance pretty difficult. I think of “networking” as the connecting of two or more computers electronically. “File sharing”, to me, is such an integral part of networking as to not even needing to be addressed—it is THE reason for networking. I do not consider “getting on the internet” to be Networking. Now. Of course, I could copy files to a flash drive and move them that way—I would learn nothing, though. I am attempting to increase my knowledge of this very different OS.

The MX manual, while very good, does not go into enough detail (in this case) about networking, file sharing, and interacting with Windows. That statement is not meant as a “slap in the face” to the creators, it is simply a fact. If I possessed sufficient knowledge, I would attempt to add to the manual—Maybe some day.

Dolphin_Oracle in his response posted links to three videos. The first link didn’t work. The second one worked fine, and the third one was exactly what I needed to make my two computers talk to each other. I am now able to get them to talk, and answer each other from either OS in either direction. The key to the whole mess (at least for me) was in the address bar. His detailed explanations were 100% correct. I am very thankful to him for creating those videos, and showing me the links.

pcallahan80 posted a very interesting and detailed set of procedures. Since I was successful before I read them, I am a bit hesitant to “start over” and try them. They all look good to me. One thing that I did not do that he advocated is to kill my firewall on the Windows OS (on either machine). I use the Kaspersky product—not the built-in Windows firewall. My MX machine goes through the firewall effortlessly. I speculate that my network settings took care of that for me. Adding his procedures to the WIKI seems like a fantastic plan—Jerry3904 was on top of that one immediately.

While I will not state that I “have it mastered”, I do feel pretty good about networking in MX now. I am about ready to go to a friend’s home to watch the Game, and possibly partake of an adult beverage or two. Before I leave, I think that I should just relax and enjoy the afterglow for a while.

Once again, I wish to thank you all for your patience, your understanding, and, most of all, your assistance.

Respectfully,
Jerry in Delaware

GuiGuy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#18 Postby GuiGuy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:16 pm

Glad you are still with us, Jerry in Delaware :happy:

But your forum profile still says you are a pilot in Anchorage: should you now change the location and occupation?

David in England.

muskt
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#19 Postby muskt » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:24 pm

OOOOPPs!!---Done

Paul..
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#20 Postby Paul.. » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:40 am

muskt wrote:One thing that I did not do that he advocated is to kill my firewall on the Windows OS (on either machine). I use the Kaspersky product—not the built-in Windows firewall. My MX machine goes through the firewall effortlessly. I speculate that my network settings took care of that for me.

Works fine here, too, with default Windows 10 firewall settings...removed from Wiki and original post.
-pc

Daily: MSI 890FXA-GD70 | AMD Phenom II X6 1055T | GeForce GTX 750 Ti | 8G
Test: Dell Inspiron 20 3043 | Intel quad N3530 | Intel Atom Graphics | 4G
Test: Thinkpad T431s | Intel i5-3437U | Intel 3rd gen Graphics | 4G

Return to “Networking”