-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Printing to Network Printer

Questions about printers and scanners, hardware-related and/or software-related can be asked here, as well as posting of tutorials.
Toastrack
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Printing to Network Printer

#11 Post by Toastrack » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:41 am

Further investigating suggests to me that the Mepis machine is not seeing the network properly, despite being able to talk to the Win machine.
The Mepis machine has the name "Mepis 1", but the router's Clients List sees the name as "none", even though it gives a MAC address and the DHCP address OK.

If mepis cannot see the router properly then it's not going to see a printer on the network I guess. So where might I usefully look now?

Toastrack
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#12 Post by Toastrack » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:32 am

I've attached the screen shot.

It seems to me that CUPS (and may be Mepis) is not seeing the network correctly, although the router sees a machine, gives it a DHCP adress etc., and labels it "None".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#13 Post by asqwerth » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:18 am

Is your Canon printer wireless or a "real" hub on the network, or is it plugged directly into your Windows machine and accessible only through the latter (which has to be running)?

If the former and you know the URI location you can type it in into the Configure Printers dialogue window (in your screenshot, choose the option where 'LPD/LPR' is mentioned).

Not sure about your Canon, but I think my Brother wireless printer was able to display (on its own little screen) its location address.

This link might assist as well:
http://www.liberiangeek.net/2010/06/ins ... ucid-lynx/

If it is plugged directly into your Windows machine, I'm afraid I can't help you. I think you're supposed to use Samba but I never could get my old printer to connect with anything else.

Toastrack
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#14 Post by Toastrack » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:23 am

My thanks to all who contributed helpful comments.

I've now finally got there, using CUPS, and after going through all sorts of gyrations to suss out the exact syntax which worked plus finding a supplied driver which would work OK. The only downside left is that I don't get the ink-supply data displayed when printing. At least I now have a working Network printer. :happy:

Return to “Print/Scan”