-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

HP Laserjet 2200dse error messages when printing MEPIS 12

Questions about printers and scanners, hardware-related and/or software-related can be asked here, as well as posting of tutorials.
eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

HP Laserjet 2200dse error messages when printing MEPIS 12

#1 Post by eemaestro » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:55 am

I was very pleased earlier this week that I could print text files
from MEPIS12 without getting prompted to first install a driver.

Unfortunately, printing from LibreOffice this morning proved
problematic. My HP Laserjet 2200 is connected directly to my
computer via USB and isn't networked.

It took at least three minutes to print a single page. This is much,
much slower than using the same printer in MEPIS 8. And nothing
associated with this printer has changed, except for one thing. I
connected it w/ a USB 2.0 cable rather than with a parallel port
cable connector in MEPIS 8.

However, I got an error message on a separate printed page which reads:

Code: Select all

ERROR:
timeout
OFFENDING COMMAND:
timeout
STACK:

@

-mark-
-mark-
-mark-
-mark-
Made no sense to me, so I started poking around for CUPS
error logs. I found the following error message in /var/log/cups/error_log:

Code: Select all

W [08/Feb/2014:06:35:28 -0500] Please move "SystemGroup lpadmin" on line 16 of /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to the /etc/cups/cups-files.conf file; this will become an error in a future release.
W [08/Feb/2014:06:35:28 -0500] failed to CreateProfile: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files
W [08/Feb/2014:06:35:28 -0500] failed to CreateDevice: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files
W [08/Feb/2014:09:28:58 -0500] Please move "SystemGroup lpadmin" on line 16 of /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to the /etc/cups/cups-files.conf file; this will become an error in a future release.
W [08/Feb/2014:09:28:59 -0500] failed to CreateProfile: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files
W [08/Feb/2014:09:28:59 -0500] failed to CreateDevice: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files
W [08/Feb/2014:10:26:08 -0500] Please move "SystemGroup lpadmin" on line 16 of /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to the /etc/cups/cups-files.conf file; this will become an error in a future release.
W [08/Feb/2014:10:26:09 -0500] failed to CreateProfile: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files
W [08/Feb/2014:10:26:09 -0500] failed to CreateDevice: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files
Looks as if my printer was never configured properly. I don't know how to allocate
swap space for if, if that needs to be done? Does anybody have any idea what
this stuff means or how to fix it?

I searched on the MEPIS wiki for printer settings. I found a broken link "KDE Print home page"
at http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php? ... inter_Help Couldn't find anything there that
addresses this error message.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: HP Laserjet 2200dse error messages when printing MEPIS 1

#2 Post by lucky9 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:17 pm

We recommend using localhost:631 in a Browser. Using the Web Interface you then remove your printer. With a clean slate so to speak you can then reinstall your printer.

PS: The interface change (Parallel to USB) could have caused your problem.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#3 Post by eemaestro » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:56 pm

I tried localhost:631 in iceweasel. I didn't see a way to "remove" the printer. Maybe I'm just dumb. I had MEPIS12 reinstalled. Am still getting the same printer error messages when I print from Libreoffice. At least they're on a separate page. So far this is my only disappointment w/ MEPIS12. My new machine doesn't have a connection for a parallel port, unfortunately. So am stuck with USB.

Gaer Boy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#4 Post by Gaer Boy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:01 am

To remove the printer, click on the Administration tab, click on the printer name, then the Administration drop-down list and click Delete printer.

AsRock FM2A88X-ITX+, A8-6500, 8GB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 1TB HDD (MBR), MX-17.1
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 3MB, 320GB Hitachi HDD, Win7, MX-17.1

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by lucky9 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:17 am

USB is handled very well by CUPS.
localhost:631 in the address field will lead to a setup page that can administer your USB printer.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#6 Post by eemaestro » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:01 pm

Okay, Gaer Boy, I deleted the printer and then re-added it, using the interface you suggested. It prints okay now from Libreoffice. Thank you. But it does not print duplex, that is, page n on the top, page n+1 on the bottom of the paper, and so on. I specifically set up this printer as "duplex". I know my printer is able to do this. I tried printing from Okular on a multi-page pdf. Yes, I checked duplex under the printing options menu. Should I delete the printer and re-add it again, expecting different results?

It prints single page documents from Libreoffice without added errors. YAY! I haven't tried printing yet w/ multi-page documents from Libreoffice.

Unhappily, my iceweasel videos stopped playing sound. EEGADS! An mp3 file plays okay in audacity if I change the output device to CA0106: CA106 (hw:1,0) from a list of five different devices. The same file also plays okay in VLC media player. But I have been unsuccessful making sound work in iceweasel on the web.
A dialog box clickable from the taskbar shows
Multimedia System
The audio playback device hw:1,0 does not work.
Falling back to hw:1,0.
next to an icon of a speaker.
Last edited by eemaestro on Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gaer Boy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#7 Post by Gaer Boy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:21 pm

eemaestro wrote:Okay, Gaer Boy, I deleted the printer and then re-added it, using the interface you suggested. It prints okay now from Libreoffice. Thank you. But it does not print duplex, that is, page n on the top, page n+1 on the bottom of the paper. I specifically set up this printer as "duplex". I know my printer is able to do this. I tried printing from Okular on a multi-page pdf. Yes, I checked duplex under the printing options menu. Should I delete the printer and re-add it again, expecting different results?
The problem is almost certainly the driver being used. You can change this without deleting and reinstalling using the "modify printer" option. I don't know what drivers are available for HP printers, but someone here probably has the answer. For my Samsung printer, I have to go to a different repo to get the driver I need.

AsRock FM2A88X-ITX+, A8-6500, 8GB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 1TB HDD (MBR), MX-17.1
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 3MB, 320GB Hitachi HDD, Win7, MX-17.1

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#8 Post by eemaestro » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:51 pm

Okay, thanks, I'll go back into localhost:631 in iceweasel & see if I can find a "modify printer" option.

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#9 Post by eemaestro » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:25 pm

This is the only thing I found in localhost:631
http://localhost:631/help/spec-ipp.html ... FY_PRINTER
Can't make sense of it.

Went back to KDE's System Settings..Printer Configuration (under "Hardware" label)...Under the label
"Configure local and remote printers", clicked on HP LaserJet2200 in the list. Under the label
"Driver details" it shows
Printer Model HP Laserjet 2200-CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.9
I pressed the Change button. The GUI went haywire. The mouse pointer changed to a wait pointer. Never changed. I will have to reboot & try it again before I start iceweasel.

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#10 Post by eemaestro » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:50 pm

I tried again from KDE's System Settings...Printer Configuration...HP LaserJet 2200...Change....I selected HP from the first pulldown menu "Select printer from database:" and then Laserjet 22200 from the next pulldown menu of "Models:"
The third pulldown menu had a list of drivers. I clicked on the first one HPLaserjet 2200 Foomatic/Postscript (en) (Recommended) because that was the only one on the list that was marked "Recommended". After a few minutes a dialog box popped up with a big red arrow saying, "There was an error during the CUPS operation: 'cups-authorization-canceled'.
Is that because I tried to do this while logged in as user? Do I need to log out first and then try it as root (superuser)?
Or is something else amiss? The printer is plugged in and connected and powered on.
BTW, the Print Test Page button on the Configure local and Remote Printers page of KDE
caused the test page to be printed out twice, on two different pieces of paper. Not duplex.

Return to “Print/Scan”