-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Mepis-12 no desktop

You can ask for help with video cards, tv cards, dvb, monitors, webcams, digital cameras and software related to these devices, here. Tutorials about these devices can be posted here, too.
towwire
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Mepis-12 no desktop

#1 Post by towwire » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:47 pm

I have a gigabyte F2A88X-UP4 motherboard, AMD A10-7850K APU with R7 Graphics. I had the disappearing mouse and found that the video driver could be the cause. I ran sgfxi and just followed the defaults. So how do I get to the desktop, when booting my screen is black and shows the following:
MEPIS Linux 12.0 mepis12 tty1
mepis12 login:

Or get back to the old driver.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Mepis-12 no desktop

#2 Post by kmathern » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:22 pm

You usually need to run sgfxi twice when installing the proprietary driver (fglrx or nvidia).

towwire
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Post by towwire » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:25 pm

kmathern wrote:You usually need to run sgfxi twice when installing the proprietary driver (fglrx or nvidia).
I have run it 3 times already. Still only get back to tty1 screen, never to login for desktop.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by kmathern » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:32 pm

towwire wrote:
kmathern wrote:You usually need to run sgfxi twice when installing the proprietary driver (fglrx or nvidia).
I have run it 3 times already. Still only get back to tty1 screen, never to login for desktop.
Okay, this should set it back to the radeon driver

Code: Select all

sgfxi -N radeon
I don't know if you need to run sgfxi multiple times when reverting back to the opensource driver.

towwire
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Post by towwire » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:44 pm

kmathern wrote:Okay, this should set it back to the radeon driver

Code: Select all

sgfxi -N radeon
I don't know if you need to run sgfxi multiple times when reverting back to the opensource driver.
Did not work, now have black screen with a flashing curser. Followed directions and shutdown for at least 30 seconds as told. Now how do I get to a spot to try your command again?

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by kmathern » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:59 pm

At the black screen with flashing cursor try <Ctrl> + <Alt> + <F1> to see if that will get you a usable console to work in.

If it does, login and run the `sgfxi -N radeon` command again.

If that still doesn't work it might be that the Wheezy radeon xorg driver doesn't support your AMD A10-7850K APU/R7 Graphics. If that's the case remove the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and it should then use either the fbdev or vesa driver.

Return to “Video-Related”