-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Radeon 3000 in M8? [Solved]

You can ask for help with video cards, tv cards, dvb, monitors, webcams, digital cameras and software related to these devices, here. Tutorials about these devices can be posted here, too.
kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Radeon 3000 in M8?

#31 Post by kmathern » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:02 am

TenderFoot wrote:

Code: Select all

root@MicroOne:/usr/local/bin# sgfxi -z -o 11-1
/usr/local/bin/sgfxi: line 6404: syntax error near unexpected token `>'
/usr/local/bin/sgfxi: line 6404: `                              unzip -l ./$downloadPackage &>>$LOG_FILE || extractError="$?"'
kmathern - you warned of something like this a few moons ago in a (nvidia related) thread http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 2&start=10 Post #328413.

Presumably a similar edit of the sgfxi script is needed?

Is this the ampersand in line 6404 (in this case) that you refer to removing?
unzip -l ./$downloadPackage &>>$LOG_FILE || extractError="$?"
All I can say is try it, and quoting myself from that thread "I have no idea if that's the right change to make or not ..."

edit: for a better answer, the sgfxi support forum is here: http://techpatterns.com/forums/forum-33.html

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#32 Post by TenderFoot » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:19 am

So - I bit the bullet and did the suggested edit.

This time sgfxi told me that it should be run from a terminal session (rather than konsole). This is going to sound pathetic but don't know how to get to terminal session from desktop (or get back - startx doesn't seem to work in these circumstances)!

Ok - I'll restart and add "3" to boot options but it locked up at splash. Then I thought that's no good anyway because currently it won't connect to internet automatically and have to select n/w from desktop - though perhaps it might use the wired connection by default at terminal level?! (But at least it will still boot normally).

Help...

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#33 Post by kmathern » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:40 am

If you booted to the desktop, <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<F1> and/or <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<F7> will toggle you back & forth between a console and the KDE desktop. Booting to initlevel 3 also works.

I would use a wired connection instead of wireless if you lose the wireless connection when not in X. In the wiki we have some instructions on how to partially run sgfxi from the desktop and then finish it up in console, but h2-1 (the sgfxi developer) doesn't really approve of doing it that way.

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#34 Post by TenderFoot » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:57 pm

Yipee!

A few hairy moments though. Dropping from desktop caused an infinite loop on the wired and/or wifi cards. Restarted and selected runlevel 3 and no splash but this created another loop/conflict, flying past the login prompt. So removed wifi dongle and it settled down enough for me to login.

Ran sgfxi, read the info and went for it, pressing enter each time as it had suggested. At the end of the process elected to launch desktop - and bingo!

[Obviously your tentative suggestion about removing the & was ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT WARRENTY but seems to do the trick!]

PS On the way, the bit about "...Germany taints kernel" was a bit worrying!

PPS My notion of buying a mobo in the "Goldilocks zone" seems have backfired hansomely with much of it either too old or too new! But I'll mark this thread up as another success!

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#35 Post by kmathern » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:11 pm

TenderFoot wrote:PS On the way, the bit about "...Germany taints kernel" was a bit worrying!
I've seen the "... taints kernel" stuff before when using the nvidia driver, I think that's required to keep Stallman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman) happy.

(are you sure it said "Germany" ?)

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Radeon 3000 in M8? [Solved]

#36 Post by TenderFoot » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:26 pm

If it wasn't Germany then it was something very like it! (There was a word beginning with A preceding it that also looked to be a German word but at the time I was more concerned with the process pausing shortly after and was looking for something to write it down on in case a further plea was needed!).

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Radeon 3000 in M8? [Solved]

#37 Post by timkb4cq » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:14 am

The "taint" message is not so much Stallman, but for Linus Torvalds and his team.

The proprietary nvidia & ati/amd drivers introduce a kernel module over which the kernel developers have little or no control. That's the "taint". Some modem drivers is used back in my dial-up days also produced that message.

If you report a kernel bug, and you have any driver that "taints the kernel" installed, they won't do anything until you reproduce the problem without those drivers installed. This saves lots of troubleshooting time and forces those module issues back to the responsible parties.
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

Return to “Video-Related”