-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Solved - suggestion for older video card to run in MX-14.2

You can ask for help with video cards, tv cards, dvb, monitors, webcams, digital cameras and software related to these devices, here. Tutorials about these devices can be posted here, too.
namida12
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Solved - suggestion for older video card to run in MX-14.2

#1 Post by namida12 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:11 pm

I have a MSI 648F Version 5 motherboard and need a PCI (not express) video card that is not expensive. I have a Geforce FX5500 that has apparently died. It was working well after the install and on reboot. Turned system on today does not provide any signal to monitor. I tested the monitor it is fine, but guess its time for a new video card.

JR
Last edited by namida12 on Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Need a suggestion for older video card to run in MX-14.2

#2 Post by kmathern » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:27 pm

If you're sticking with nvidia I would suggest at least a GeForce 6xxx or newer card if you want to use the proprietary nvidia driver. I say that because I'm looking to the future with Jessie based MX-15. The old nvidia cards that used to use the 96xx & 173xx series nvidia legacy drivers won't be able to use a proprietary nvidia in MX-15/Jessie because those drivers don't support Jessie's 1.16 Xorg version. Those cards will only be able to use the nouveau driver, or the vesa driver.

Earl57
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#3 Post by Earl57 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:42 pm

Wel;l I am currently running a 9300GE card, which is about 5 years old, and it works perfectly using the nouveau driver. You can obtain these cards fairly cheap because they are a few years old. It does everything I want to do, plus dual monitors. I would have to check if I have pciE or what in this machine.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by lucky9 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:49 pm

Both of the major player's open source drivers are pretty good nowadays. radeon and nouveau will do the job.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by kmathern » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:01 pm

I've used the both the 173xx series proprietary nvidia driver and the nouveau driver on my old Athlon XP 3000 machine with a FX5200 card. IMO the nvidia driver performs better than the nouveau driver on that machine. They're both better than using the vesa driver.

I would say that current versions of the nouveau driver are much improved over what was available in M11/Squeeze a couple years ago. I never was able to get the nouveau driver to work in Mepis 11 on that machine. I haven't really had any problems getting the nouveau driver to work with M12, MX-14, Wheezy, or Sid.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by lucky9 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:24 pm

You do have to be careful if you really need a proprietary driver with AMD. Some of the older cards aren't supported as well as nvidia. And finding the older Catalyst drivers and what they work on can be 'fun'.
I'd aim at nvidia 8xxx if wanting nvidia. I'll let those who use AMD cards to suggest one to use. I still have an old Radeon 8500 LE AGP card that still gives a clean/smooth video output on an old machine I have laying around using the radeon driver.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

namida12
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#7 Post by namida12 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:12 pm

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

Finding a PCI (not express) video card is a chore when the entire computer is not worth more than $25, well I found a 128 rage from a friend down the road and around the corner. Changed out the video card, and booted the system it booted up and display was fine. 2 minutes later the video died, Video card has a bad smell. Now I am questioning this motherboard, power supply, or was it a fluke and I managed use two bad/ready to video cards.

I took this Motherboard off the use again stack and mounted it in the case, power supply checks on the cheap checker.

Think before I use the last PCI (not express) video card, I will look to build again with another motherboard that has n-board video from the use again pile. This MSI MB had a 2001 Bios, but it also had a 1.8 single core SSE2 cpu with 1.5 gigs of 2700 DDR2 memory, that should have worked well for a MX-14 starter Linux system.

Again thanks for the rapid responses.

JR

Return to “Video-Related”