-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Using a Hauppauge HD PVR 1212 usb capture device

You can ask for help with video cards, tv cards, dvb, monitors, webcams, digital cameras and software related to these devices, here. Tutorials about these devices can be posted here, too.
Volofrog
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Using a Hauppauge HD PVR 1212 usb capture device

#1 Post by Volofrog » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:47 pm

I have spent a couple of days searching for how to get this device to work and I just cannot put together the correct commands.

I have used this device, the Hauppauge HD PVR 1212, on a windows machine to capture video for several years. This windows machine ran Windows XP and, as we all know, windows xp is no longer supported.

I updated the HDPVR to the latest firmware, and made sure that it was still working.

When I plug the HDPVR into a usb 2.0 port, and run dmesg, I see that it is recognized.

Code: Select all

[ 1109.821237] usb 2-1.4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 9
[ 1109.959020] usb 2-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=2040, idProduct=4903
[ 1109.959025] usb 2-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 1109.959029] usb 2-1.4: Product: Hauppauge HD PVR
[ 1109.959032] usb 2-1.4: Manufacturer: AMBA
[ 1109.959035] usb 2-1.4: SerialNumber: 00A55EDB
I have tried booting the machine with the HDPVR plugged in and I get the same dmesg lines.

I ran lsusb | grep Hauppauge and got the following:

/etc/udev$ lsusb | grep Hauppauge
Bus 002 Device 009: ID 2040:4903 Hauppauge
When I ran lsmod | grep hdpvr, I got nothing back. From what I read, the hdpvr module did not automatically load. I then ran sudo modprobe hdpvr to load the module and then tried lsmod command again.

/etc/udev$ lsmod | grep hdpvr
hdpvr                  13188  0 
v4l2_common             4787  1 hdpvr
videodev               44914  2 hdpvr,v4l2_common
Most of the web posts suggest that the HDPVR will be accesssable as video0, but I cannot find a video0 anywhere.
I put a udev rule in the /etc/udev/rules.d directory but I do not know if it is correct or what to do to make it work.

/etc/udev/rules.d$ cat 78-hdpvr.rules 
KERNEL=="video[0-9]*" , ATTRS{product}=="Hauppauge HD PVR" , SUBSYSTEM=="video4linux" , SUBSYSTEM=="usb" , ATTRS{idVendor}=="2040" , ATTRS{idProduct}=="4903" , NAME=="v41/video0", SYMLINK+="video0"
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Volofrog
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Using a Hauppauge HD PVR 1212 usb capture device

#2 Post by Volofrog » Mon May 05, 2014 1:07 am

After much more research and digging, I found a post that I believe explains the problem. When I did a command, 'sudo modinfo hdpvr', the output listed 4 aliases for the hdpvr. The idProduct for my device is 4903. The aliases only listed product ids 4900, 4901, 4902, and 4982. I guess that I must re-compile the hdpvr module after adding a stanza to include 4903.

I really could use some pointers as to how to do this. I tried compiling the v4l2 modules and succeeded in removing the existing hdpvr module.

So, where do I find what is needed to modify and re-compile/install the hdpvr module?

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

sudo modinfo hdpvr
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.36-1-mepis-smp/kernel/drivers/media/video/hdpvr/hdpvr.ko
description:    Hauppauge HD PVR driver
author:         Janne Grunau
license:        GPL
alias:          usb:v2040p4982d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
alias:          usb:v2040p4902d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
alias:          usb:v2040p4901d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
alias:          usb:v2040p4900d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
depends:        videodev,v4l2-common
vermagic:       2.6.36-1-mepis-smp SMP mod_unload modversions 686 
parm:           video_nr:video device number (-1=Auto) (array of int)
parm:           hdpvr_debug:enable debugging output (int)
parm:           default_video_input:default video input: 0=Component / 1=S-Video / 2=Composite (uint)
parm:           default_audio_input:default audio input: 0=RCA back / 1=RCA front / 2=S/PDIF (uint)
parm:           boost_audio:boost the audio signal (bool)

BitJam
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#3 Post by BitJam » Mon May 05, 2014 1:27 am

Volofrog wrote:After much more research and digging, I found a post that I believe explains the problem. When I did a command, 'sudo modinfo hdpvr', the output listed 4 aliases for the hdpvr. The idProduct for my device is 4903. The aliases only listed product ids 4900, 4901, 4902, and 4982. I guess that I must re-compile the hdpvr module after adding a stanza to include 4903.
You need to upgrade your kernel. More recent versions of that module will handle your device. The 3.7.10 and later kernels will support your hardware. Perhaps kernels earlier that that will work too but 3.7.10 was the oldest one I had ready access to.

You can also look at the Linux Kernel Driver DataBase.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by kmathern » Mon May 05, 2014 8:36 am

I'm guessing Volofrog is using Mepis 11 because his post listed a 2.6.36-1-mepis-smp kernel.

Mepis 11 is based on squeeze.

There's a 3.2 series kernel in squeeze-backports and it looks like it supports the 4903 device.
/sbin/modinfo /var/tmp/linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-686-pae_3.2/lib/modules/3.2.0-0.bpo.4-686-pae/kernel/drivers/media/video/hdpvr/hdpvr.ko
filename: /var/tmp/linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-686-pae_3.2/lib/modules/3.2.0-0.bpo.4-686-pae/kernel/drivers/media/video/hdpvr/hdpvr.ko
description: Hauppauge HD PVR driver
author: Janne Grunau
version: 0.2.1
license: GPL
srcversion: 5E000DA31D8DF7A39A83F07
alias: usb:v2040p4903d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
alias: usb:v2040p4982d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
alias: usb:v2040p4902d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
alias: usb:v2040p4901d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
alias: usb:v2040p4900d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
depends: videodev,usbcore,i2c-core,v4l2-common
intree: Y
vermagic: 3.2.0-0.bpo.4-686-pae SMP mod_unload modversions 686
parm: video_nr:video device number (-1=Auto) (array of int)
parm: hdpvr_debug:enable debugging output (int)
parm: default_video_input:default video input: 0=Component / 1=S-Video / 2=Composite (uint)
parm: default_audio_input:default audio input: 0=RCA back / 1=RCA front / 2=S/PDIF (uint)
parm: boost_audio:boost the audio signal (bool)
edit: instructions here: http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/#index2h2 on howto add the squeeze-backports repo to your sources.

Volofrog
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Post by Volofrog » Tue May 06, 2014 1:39 am

It is too late tonight to move forward. I do have a question. First of all, I have compiled some software from source code but I have not done it often enough to feel very comfortable in my abilities. That being said, would it be possible to compile just the hdpvr module and insert it into the current kernel? I have been looking into doing this, but I think my experience level is low enough that I may have been overlooking either the easy way to do this, or how hard it is to accomplish. :alien:

BitJam
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#6 Post by BitJam » Tue May 06, 2014 2:53 am

Volofrog wrote: would it be possible to compile just the hdpvr module and insert it into the current kernel?
That is the path of pain. If you have the same compiler that was used to make the kernel then you could do this for modules that were part of your kernel. But you want a module from a newer kernel. It *might* work but it might not. It would make more sense to compile a new kernel. This is because the interface between modules and the kernel is not stable:
You think you want a stable kernel interface, but you really do not, and
you don't even know it. What you want is a stable running driver, and
you get that only if your driver is in the main kernel tree. You also
get lots of other good benefits if your driver is in the main kernel
tree, all of which has made Linux into such a strong, stable, and mature
operating system which is the reason you are using it in the first
place.
Why don't you want to upgrade your kernel? That's the easy way and it will also be easier to get support if something goes wrong.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by lucky9 » Tue May 06, 2014 9:20 am

A kernel upgrade is the way I'd suggest also. It's far easier than any other solution.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Volofrog
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#8 Post by Volofrog » Thu May 08, 2014 12:53 am

I found the Debian repository for "linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-686-pae
Linux 3.2 for modern PCs" and got the following messages.
"To be removed
linux-image-2.6.36-1mepis-smp
plymouth
plymouth-themes-mepis11"
When I marked it for installation, I got
"Could not mark all packages for installation or upgrade.
linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-686-pae:
Depends: linux-base (>=3~) but 2.6.36-4mepis2 is to be installed
Breaks: initramfs-tools (<0.99~) but 0.98.8 is to be installed"
1) Should I be looking for backported linux-base and initramfs-tools?
and 2) will removing the plymouth theme cause problems?

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Post by kmathern » Thu May 08, 2014 8:12 am

It might be best to remove the plymouth and plymouth-themes-mepis11 packages before trying to install the backports kernel, you can reinstall them later.

The linux-base and initramfs-tools upgrades that the backports kernel needs are in the squeeze-backports repo. To pull them in you need to temporarily set squeeze-backports as the preferred distro if you're using Synaptic, if you're using apt-get add -t squeeze-backports to the command.

Here's an old post of mine with some instructions on how install the squeeze-backports kernel: http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 39#p305239. It sounds like you've already added the repo, so start at step 4.

Depending on what type of videocard you use, you might also need the squeeze-backports firmware-* upgrades.

Volofrog
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#10 Post by Volofrog » Fri May 09, 2014 11:15 pm

I am so glad that when you upgrade the kernel, the old kernel remains as a choice. I followed the suggested guide and used apt-get to update the kernel. Then I used update-grub. The new kernal will not boot and I think I may know why, but I do not know what to do about it.

My home partition is mounted on /dev/sda2. The root is mounted on /dev/sda1. I do not know how or where the system reads this information during the boot up sequence, and so I do not know what to change.

The messages that come up on the screen fly by much to fast to read, and the terminal that comes up at the end does not allow me to scroll up through dmesg to see what might be happening.

When the boot process ends, the following message is left on the screen.
  • Loading, please wait . . .
    smount: mounting /dev on /root/dev failed: No such file or directory
    Target filesystem doesn't have requested /sbin/init.
    No init found. Try passing init=bootarg.

Suggestions please :confused:
Last edited by Volofrog on Sat May 10, 2014 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Video-Related”