-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

nVidia 6200 in M8? [Solved]

You can ask for help with video cards, tv cards, dvb, monitors, webcams, digital cameras and software related to these devices, here. Tutorials about these devices can be posted here, too.
TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: nVidia 6200 in M8?

#31 Post by TenderFoot » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:09 pm

OK, back - traumatised!

Dropping down to cli causes no end of difficulties (to me) compounded by the additional problem mentioned in OP - ie "eth0: auto-negotiating..." loop keeps interfering with attempts to type anything so it becomes awfully hard to keep track of what I type. But more of that later or as a separate thread.

In short, had to reinstall yet again (twice actually)!

Anyway, this last time, have learnt from previous mistakes and taken it step by step. So far, have determined that all effects (Compiz) and the improved (faux?) resolution of 1280x1024 only becomes available after in stalling nvidia "latest" via MXWA. But although usable the incorrect ratio is not satisfactory, as mentioned before, applying the correct ratio is much worse with absolutely appalling fonts.

So before proceeding further the "eth0..." problem needs to be resolved.

As a process of elimination, I tried the liveusb with no modifications and the problem is still there. Tried it on another machine and no problem. Also, attached to the same monitor, the correct resolution is available (though not by default).

My conclusion is that "eth0" issue probably related to the (wretched FoxConn) mobo, perhaps in combination with the nvidia drivers. Yet that problems goes away when it is actually given a cable connection.

As far as I know the problem does not affect other distros - but haven't had to drop to cli in them!

As another possibility, I will check bios for Wake On Lan, but why would that not affect others...

EDIT
kmathern wrote:Speaking of nvidia-settings, you should be able to fix the resolution by running it. The 'Xorg -configure' command I mentioned earlier should also work.
Not quite sure what brought the last install to its knees (it's all becoming a blur) but assume if successful, xorg.conf.new should be renamed to replace xorg.conf?

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#32 Post by lucky9 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:56 pm

It would end with .old at the end of the name.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#33 Post by TenderFoot » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:20 pm

Not automatically - only if that's what the user chose to call it?

Anyway, back to the main point about curing the "eth0" interruption to faciltate easier testing of OP, I've checked bios and anything that could "wake up" the system is already disabled.

EDIT I don't think this a going anywhere. I believe it is strange h/w and driver conflicts peculiar to this (awful) mobo anf M8 (M11 is fine). Until the eth0 auto-negotiation can be solved - or I spend £100 on new mobo/cpu/ram - there is no point in persuing correct resolution unless, ironically it is the current driver that is responsible!

Anyway, thanks you both for your help thus far. I'll start another thread for the n/w thing - but will scream if someone suggests that nvidia driver should be updated....

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#34 Post by TenderFoot » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:21 am

Just as a quick follow up.

In the latest incarnation, I only went as far as updating to "new" nvidia driver via MWXA and at least this time it offers the greater range of resolutions which defaults to a maximum 1280x1024 (actually so did the default one). This does "fit" the whole display but, of course, incorrect aspect ratio for a 1440x900 monitor. Choose lower vertical res and it no longer fits, loosing top/bottom and/or left/right!

I am reluctant to try downloaded nvidia drivers whilst the eth0 glitch persists when in cli but at least it doesn't seem to impose a cpu load according to the screelets sensor which ticks over at 2%-3%!

In the meantime I'm wondering if the non-recognition of the monitor could contribute to the display anomolies. Is there any way of forcing the system to accept 1440x900?

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#35 Post by lucky9 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:38 pm

You can specify a resolution in your /boot/grub/menu.list as shown here: http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php?title=Cheatcodes

xres=1440x900 confx

Edit as root and be sure to Save. (You may not need the confx in M8.)

Or use

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

(In a Konsole/Terminal as root or in init 3.)
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#36 Post by kmathern » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:29 pm

lucky9 wrote:(You may not need the confx in M8.)
M11 is the only Mepis version that had the 'confx' cheat, for M8 I think there's a 'autox' cheat that does something similar.

Adding 'autox' will cause a new xorg.conf to be generated during bootup.

You don't need to use 'autox' when booting the LiveCD, but you do need to use it on a harddrive install, to get the xdrvr=* or xres=* cheats to be acted up on.

lucky9 wrote:dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
And I prefer the 'Xorg -configure' that I mentioned earlier in this thread. However if using he's the Mepis X Window Assistant, it might have a problem with xorg.conf that's created by either one of those commands. The MXWA uses Warren's mepis style xorg.conf as a template of sorts, and if it's considerably different the assistant might not make it's changes as expected.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#37 Post by lucky9 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:49 pm

It may be something as simple as the Panel being longer than the screen and therefore not showing the Task Manager.

Right-Click the Panel and choose Configure Panel. On the Arrangement choose the bottom-center position and then 100% (or you can use the expand to fit contents choice). I use the defaults for everything else. When finished use the Lock Panels Right-Click Menu choice.
--Mark Twain

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#38 Post by TenderFoot » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:00 pm

Thanks for the responses again.

Taking lucky9's last post first. It isn't that simple as panel is 100% by default. The display either fits the screen (but incorrect aspect ratio) at highest resolution currently offered yet lower resolutions (but correct ar) don't fit - in some cases the panel isn't even accessible as it has dropped below the visible screen!

Anyway, with regard to the other suggestions, please bear in mind that I dare not drop to run level 3 because the previously described eth0 problem (now another thread) prevents sensible interaction or escape!

So it would be helpful (to an idiot!) if you two could reach a consensus on a logical set of steps that could be tried to force the correct resolution using konsole from the desktop?

[The current nvidia driver works perfectly in other respects - eg all desired desktop effects in Compiz]

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#39 Post by kmathern » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:03 pm

TenderFoot wrote:Thanks for the responses again.

Taking lucky9's last post first. It isn't that simple as panel is 100% by default. The display either fits the screen (but incorrect aspect ratio) at highest resolution currently offered yet lower resolutions (but correct ar) don't fit - in some cases the panel isn't even accessible as it has dropped below the visible screen!

Anyway, with regard to the other suggestions, please bear in mind that I dare not drop to run level 3 because the previously described eth0 problem (now another thread) prevents sensible interaction or escape!

So it would be helpful (to an idiot!) if you two could reach a consensus on a logical set of steps that could be tried to force the correct resolution using konsole from the desktop?

[The current nvidia driver works perfectly in other respects - eg all desired desktop effects in Compiz]
Actually, I think lucky9's last reply was intended for a different thread.

Run the command below. You can run it as a regular user. It should show all the Mode entries as "1440x900".

Code: Select all

sed 's/Modes ".*x.*"/Modes "1440x900"/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf
if it does you can repeat the command as root, adding a "-i", so it actually writes the change to xorg.conf

Code: Select all

sed -i 's/Modes ".*x.*"/Modes "1440x900"/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Restart X after this.

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#40 Post by TenderFoot » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:09 pm

There yer go - wasn't that easy in the end!

[EDIT Mind there seems to be a side-effect - the cpu is now running at 99%-100%, even without Compiz, instead of 2%-3% before?]

[EDIT 2 Ignore that - it's settled back after a second reboot!]
Last edited by TenderFoot on Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Video-Related”