-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

nVidia 6200 in M8? [Solved]

You can ask for help with video cards, tv cards, dvb, monitors, webcams, digital cameras and software related to these devices, here. Tutorials about these devices can be posted here, too.
TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: nVidia 6200 in M8?

#21 Post by TenderFoot » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:37 pm

It seems that my thoughts about rebooting after updating Mepis and ensuring that my wifi is re-established is crucial. Atl least installing the "newest" nvidia drivers didn't end up with the initial difficulties and reached the desktop without (visible) errors after reboot. Unfortunately it has made no difference to the available resolutions or any desktop effects.

Haven't tried the sgfxi method yet.!

But went to nvidia site and downloaded what I believed to be the correct "6 series"driver which certainly list the 6200 LE as a supported card. However, running it results in

Code: Select all

WARNING: The NVIDIA GeForce 6200 LE GPU installed in this system is
           supported through the NVIDIA 304.xx legacy Linux graphics drivers.
           Please visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
           information.  The 325.15 NVIDIA Linux graphics driver will ignore
           this GPU.

OK

WARNING: You do not appear to have an NVIDIA GPU supported by the 325.15
           NVIDIA Linux graphics driver installed in this system.  For further
           details, please see the appendix SUPPORTED NVIDIA GRAPHICS CHIPS in
           the README available on the Linux driver download page at
           www.nvidia.com.

OK

ERROR: You appear to be running an X server; please exit X before
         installing.  For further details, please see the section INSTALLING
         THE NVIDIA DRIVER in the README available on the Linux driver
         download page at www.nvidia.com.

OK
Perhaps it's a supported kernel issue?

So taking their advice, have located and downloaded the recommended 304.xx version. (and if I proceed with that will also embrace the need to drop down to cli rather than a terminal window).

However, before doing so would the preferred next attempt be the sgfxi method?

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#22 Post by kmathern » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:06 pm

You can try sgfxi, but you'll probably get the syntax error I mentioned here: http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 13#p328413

The 6200 was classified as "legacy" about a year and half ago, the 304.xx driver is the highest version of the nvidia driver that still supports the 6200.

You do need to run it in pure CLI mode outside of X, not in a Konsole window in KDE 3.

It's been a while since I used the nvidia installer script directly (I usually use it indirectly via sgfxi). IIRC you're supposed to remove some nvidia related packages before using it. That's one of the reasons to use sgfxi instead of the nvidia installer. Sgfxi takes care of all the preliminary things that need to be done before running the nvidia installer.
Last edited by kmathern on Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#23 Post by TenderFoot » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:24 pm

I just tried the 304.xx driver in pure cli mode but that failed due to a conflict between gcc 4.1 and gcc 4.3 used to compile.

However, as side-effect (forgive the pun but read on) of these trials at least the basic desktop effects now work. I'd forgotten that this needed an xserver restart to get working! Still incorrect resolution though but wonder if that might be remedied by experimenting with the drop-down list of known monitors (currently described as unknown) mine being LG198WA with 1440x900 res?

In the meantime I'll study the sgfxi method...

[BTW When in cli mode the "eth0: auto negotiating..." loop interferes again until a cable connection is plugged in!]

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#24 Post by kmathern » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:35 pm

For the gcc mismatch see the wiki here: http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php? ... mmand_Line, I think that export command will fix it.

The installer also has a --no-cc-version-check option that might be a workaround.

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#25 Post by TenderFoot » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:59 pm

But do you recommend that first (ie is there potential harm in failure) or skipping and trying sgfxi?

And is the resolution limitation a function of the driver or unidentified monitor (or both)?

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#26 Post by kmathern » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:19 pm

TenderFoot wrote:But do you recommend that (ie is there potential harm in failure) or skipping and trying sgfxi?

And is the resolution limitation a function of the driver or unidentified monitor (or both)?
I would try the wiki's export command. It looks like sgfxi also uses the export command, it doesn't use the --no-cc-version-check option that I mentioned.

With sgfxi I think there's a good chance you'll get the syntax error I mentioned here: http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 13#p328413. Unless you know how to fix the error, I wouldn't use sgfxi.

For the resolution problem, I think the default HorizSync & VertRefresh values in the M8's xorg.conf might be causing that problem. You can either plug in the correct timing values (if you know what they are), or I've found with newer Xorg versions (those used in M11, M12, jessie, sid) that commenting out or deleting the HorizSync & VertRefresh lines will allow Xorg to autodetect the correct timing values. Btw, this might even work for the default 'nv' driver.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#27 Post by lucky9 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:31 pm

I've never had to clean anything before installing the NVIDIA driver. Just boot into init 3 or use Ctrl+Alt+F1 to exit the xserver first. I'd place the download in /home so it will be easily found if needed. You'll need the exact name of the file (as per the directions).

If your resolution is still off afterwards. You can try dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg in a Konsole/Terminal as root.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#28 Post by kmathern » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:01 pm

lucky9 wrote:I've never had to clean anything before installing the NVIDIA driver. Just boot into init 3 or use Ctrl+Alt+F1 to exit the xserver first. I'd place the download in /home so it will be easily found if needed. You'll need the exact name of the file (as per the directions).
You do need to make sure that certain nvidia related packages have been removed before installing the NVIDIA driver from their script. If you haven't had a problem, they (nvidia related packages) had probably already been removed. The sgfxi script takes this to the extreme and removes all packages that have the word "nvidia" in their packagename.

This is a sticky from the nvnews.net nvidia linux forum: ( http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490 )
....Debian GNU/Linux or [K]Ubuntu with Xorg 7.x

If you wish to install the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver on a Debian GNU/Linux or Ubuntu system that ships with Xorg 7.x, please ensure that your system meets the following requirements:

* development tools like make and gcc are installed
* the linux-headers package matching the installed Linux kernel is installed
* the pkg-config and xserver-xorg-dev packages are installed
* the nvidia-glx package has been uninstalled with the --purge option and the files /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx and /etc/init.d/nvidia-kernel do not exist ...
lucky9 wrote:If your resolution is still off afterwards. You can try dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg in a Konsole/Terminal as root.
I prefer the 'Xorg -configure' command, and then move the /root/xorg.conf.new file it created to /etc/X11/xorg.conf {you need to do this with X shutdown}

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#29 Post by TenderFoot » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:05 pm

The last couple of replies are going to need a while for a mere mortal to absorb. In the meantime, I played around with a couple of things...

I tried commenting out HorizSync & VertRefresh in xorg.conf as suggested by kmathern and rebooting. No change to offered resolutions and still defaults to 1280x1024 (which stretches horizontally and squashes vertically) but has dropped the refresh rate even further to 50Hz from an optimum 60Hz but that does not seem to affect anything. Strangely, if I choose 1280x800 - which is the correct aspect ratio - things become very chunky and odd!

Have also installed Compiz et al, to see what would happen, and that is behaving imaculately - wobbly windows included!

So it would seem that the current driver supports all the effects and the only problem is supporting the correct resolution of 1440x900?

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#30 Post by kmathern » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:24 pm

TenderFoot wrote:...but has dropped the refresh rate even further to 50Hz from an optimum 60Hz but that does not seem to affect anything.
You must have the nvidia driver installed now. Don't worry about the 50Hz refresh rate. When the nvidia driver is installed the refresh rate is usually missreported by most utilities. When I used to use a CRT, I had the refresh rate set at 85Hz but it was always reported as 50Hz. There is a option with the nvidia-settings command that will report it correctly, nvidia-settings -q RefreshRate.

Code: Select all

kent@mepis1:~$ nvidia-settings -q RefreshRate

Attribute 'RefreshRate' (mepis1:0.0; display device: CRT-0): 60.00 Hz.
    'RefreshRate' is an integer attribute.
    'RefreshRate' is a read-only attribute.
    'RefreshRate' is display device specific.
    'RefreshRate' can use the following target types: X Screen, GPU.
which is correct

TenderFoot wrote:So it would seem that the current driver supports all the effects and the only problem is supporting the correct resolution of 1440x900
Speaking of nvidia-settings, you should be able to fix the resolution by running it. The 'Xorg -configure' command I mentioned earlier should also work.

Return to “Video-Related”