-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

nVidia 6200 in M8? [Solved]

You can ask for help with video cards, tv cards, dvb, monitors, webcams, digital cameras and software related to these devices, here. Tutorials about these devices can be posted here, too.
TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: nVidia 6200 in M8?

#11 Post by TenderFoot » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:01 pm

Yes!

(To clarify further, it occurs between completing the splash loading progress bar but before reaching the login screen).

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#12 Post by kmathern » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:26 pm

TenderFoot wrote:Yes!

(To clarify further, it occurs between completing the splash loading progress bar but before reaching the login screen).
Try disabling the bootsplash by removing the word "splash" from the boot commandline.

Btw I don't recall there being progressbar with Mepis 8's bootsplash.

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#13 Post by TenderFoot » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:47 pm

I don't recall ever not seeing a progress bar with Mepis!

Anyway, disabling splash slightly modifies the order of messages but it still ends up with

Code: Select all

waiting for X server to begin accepting connections
then looping

eth0: auto-negatiating...
at about 5 sec intervals

I am now briefly presented with the cli login prompt but the above keeps getting in the way. If I'm very quick I can login and type startx but that bombs too.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#14 Post by kmathern » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:02 pm

Try this:
  • 1) At the grub menu remove the word "splash" to disable the bootsplash, add a "3" (without the quotes) so that it boots to init level 3
    2) at the init level 3 login, login as your regular user
    3) then type in "startx" (without the quotes) and press enter

Those steps will disable the bootsplash and disable KDM and boot directly to the desktop (if it works).

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#15 Post by TenderFoot » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:11 pm

Unfortunately that still ends up with situation as described above and as before the only way out is ctrl+alt+del to force a restart.

failed to load module "type1" (module does not exist, 0)
failed to load module "nvidia" (module does not exist, 0)
doesn't seem to encouraging either!

EDIT Connecting to eth0 (ie wired connection) stops the loop starting but startx still fails - perhaps not surprisingly in view of above...

Do you think I should, in hindsight, have rebooted after system update and before adding nvidia driver via MXSA?

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#16 Post by kmathern » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:27 pm

TenderFoot wrote:Unfortunately that still ends up with situation as described above and as before the only way out is ctrl+alt+del to force a restart.

failed to load module "type1" (module does not exist, 0)
failed to load module "nvidia" (module does not exist, 0)
doesn't seem to encouraging either!

EDIT Connecting to eth0 (ie wired connection) stops the loop starting but startx still fails - perhaps not surprisingly in view of above...

Do you think I should, in hindsight, have rebooted after system update and before adding nvidia driver via MXSA?
It looks to me like the nvidia driver didn't actually get installed.

Fwiw, I was able to get the legacy nvidia driver installed and running on my system while in a M8 Live session, using the Mepis X Windows Assistant.

I found out (as I mentioned in my first post in this thread) that you really do need to make sure the repos are loading correctly and there are no gpg errors.

It took two tries to get the nvidia driver installed.

The first time I tried it I was still getting a gpg error for Warren's repo. The X Windows Assistant would appear to do it's thing when running it, but it ended fairly quickly (though without any error messages). X wouldn't start after my first attempt at installing the nvidia driver. It turned out the only thing the X Windows Assistant had done was change the driver line in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file from "nv" to "nvidia". It hadn't actually downloaded or installed any nvidia driver packages. My guess is that the gpg errors caused that.

After figuring out how to get back to the desktop, I fixed the gpg error with Warren's repo. I then tried the Mepis X Windows Assistant again. This time it did download & install two nvidia related packages. I then logged out of KDE. At KDM I chose the console login option. In console I killed X with the 'service kdm stop' command. Then ran 'modprobe nvidia' command. Restarted X with the 'service kdm start' command. At KDM I logged backed in to KDE 3, where I am now. {somewhere along the way I also installed inxi}

demo@mepis1:~$ inxi -Gxx
Graphics:  Card: nVidia NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] bus-ID: 02:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0322
           X.Org: 1.4.2 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1600x900@50.0hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce FX 5200/AGP/SSE/3DNOW! GLX Version: 2.1.0 NVIDIA 96.43.13 Direct Rendering: Yes
demo@mepis1:~$

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#17 Post by TenderFoot » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:13 pm

Thanks for your thorough research once again.

Since my last post I tried unsuccessfully various strategies to get some sort of desktop back. Eventually gave up, bit the bullet and reinstalled. Since then have been down to the pub for companionship, comfort and off-topic solace so will re-engage with this problem tomorrow!

In the meantime a couple of observations and questions...

From previous experience, I always redo the repos per the wiki, reload until all gpg errors are remedied, using the usual methods, before finally installing all upgrades. Also when I invoke latest driver in MXWA, no errors are reported and, indeed, it reports success - yet the "apply" button doesn't grey out so on one of my attempts clicked "apply" a second time.

The two queries may be connected but which do you mean by Warren's repo and where do I find sgfxi - should that be the way forw\ard - as it does not appear in Synaptic even on a stable install?

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#18 Post by kmathern » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:15 pm

TenderFoot wrote:The two queries may be connected but which do you mean by Warren's repo
When I say Warren's repo I mean either of the two repos below:
      • <snippet from the wiki list>
# Alternate HTTP URL for those that can't use FTP
deb http://mepis.mirrorcatalogs.com/packages/mepis/ mepis-8.0 main

# MEPIS master pools, please use only if mirror is slow or down
# deb ftp://ftp.mepis.com/mepis/ mepis-8.0 main
TenderFoot wrote: and where do I find sgfxi - should that be the way forward - as it does not appear in Synaptic even on a stable install?
There's instructions in the wiki on how to download & install sgfxi: http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php? ... gfxi#sgfxi

Btw I also tried sgfxi today in a M8.0 Live session, and it's throwing an error when you try to start it:

/usr/local/bin/sgfxi: line 5918: syntax error near unexpected token `>'
/usr/local/bin/sgfxi: line 5918: `                              unzip -l ./$downloadPackage &>>$LOG_FILE || extractError="$?"'
I was able to get it to start up and work by editting that line and removing the ampersand character '&'. I have no idea if that was the right change to make or not, but sgfxi did startup and run after that.
The line 5918 syntax error seems to affect only Lenny based Mepis 8.0, because I also ran sgfxi in a MX-14 live session, without any error.

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#19 Post by TenderFoot » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:54 am

Ok - reinstalled yet again!

As usual, the first 30min is dedicated to resolving repos and gpg issues (per earlier threads), then updated (226 packages!) which went smoothly (declining to replace any config files). However, I did notice that during the final stages of the install phases, the wifi connection is lost and is not restored until reboot. Consequently I assume all or part of n/w manager is replaced but on earlier attempts had not noticed this and wonder, therefore, whether this contributed to the failure and is responsible for the "eth0: auto-negotiating..." loop and the failure to install the nvidia driver via MXWA. Moral - always reboot after updates before trying anything else?!

There is some comfort in the fact that you too encountered some hiccups in both methods but at least you have the experience to be able to dig yourself out!

Btw, Warren's repo is one the defaults in the wiki which I copy and paste into sources.list. My only query there is whether preferred distribution should be left as "higher version" or reset to "Mepis" for the nvidia driver. I would also think that Synaptic should be closed before as trying to install/modify anything outside of it can cause conflicts!

Anyway, bottom line, which method - sgfxi or mxwa - would you recommend as the most likely to succeed and without side effects (especially as I probably have to refer to this thread on my laptop during the "hairy" parts of the process)?

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#20 Post by lucky9 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:37 pm

Mepis X-Windows Assistant has always been rock-solid. (Run it from the LiveCD.) An especially good tool for recovery.

If problems are encountered I'd try sgfxi next. You may have to run it twice to get the installation to complete.

However if there continue to be problems I'd go to the NVIDIA site and download the correct driver. Print the directions. Follow the directions. (My preferred method.)
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Return to “Video-Related”