-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

nVidia 6200 in M8? [Solved]

You can ask for help with video cards, tv cards, dvb, monitors, webcams, digital cameras and software related to these devices, here. Tutorials about these devices can be posted here, too.
TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

nVidia 6200 in M8? [Solved]

#1 Post by TenderFoot » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:09 am

The onboard SIS gpu finally packed up on one of my desktops forcing me to ferret around in my "bits bin" for an alternative and found an Asus nVidia 6200 (Pro according to sys info though can only discover LE and SE through googling). I recollect, it was tried in this machine before but although the onboard was disabled in bios it still seemed to generate a lot of heat so reverted!

Now we have a reversal of fortunes! Mepis was one of the few distros that coped well with the SIS but now M8 is the only one that can't cope with the nVidia (though M11 is fine). M8 defaults to nv (xorg) which cannot provide the correct resolution nor any effects.

I've tried various strategies to force the issue but always resulting in a failure to complete the boot process. Is there any hope?

Ironically, I suspect that if a new card were purchased M8 would probably still not cope and anyway not worth it as everything else (Win and Linux) is perfectly happy.

[The above "sticky" may give some clues - though probably pre-dates even M8 - and it's hard to pick out an effective strategy unless one was involved at the time.]
Last edited by TenderFoot on Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: nVidia 6200 in M8?

#2 Post by kmathern » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:06 am

Mepis 8.0 has a "MEPIS X-Windows Assistant" that should install the nvidia driver, it installs the 185.18.36-2 version nvidia driver from Warren's M8.0 repo. The 185.18.36-2 version is fairly old, but was the current driver at the time that M8 was released

The sgfxi script might also work, though the info in it's -h (help) page mentions things about support for much newer xorg and kernel versions. If it works, it will install the 304.119 version by default for your 6200 card.

Before using either of them you should make sure the repos have been switched to what's recommended in the wiki, and that they are loading/reloading correctly. Also make sure there's no problem with gpg errors.

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Post by TenderFoot » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:18 pm

Thanks. One of my attempts was the legacy via Mepis XWA but had not bothered to update the repos at that moment being lazy - because of recent experiences with your last para!

A reinstall seemed the way forward because the existing install did not respond at all well after the change of card, not being willing to boot past grub, complaining about tsc and then endlessly looping about "etho0: negotiating" (though perhaps could have been salvaged if I was sufficiently cli proficient and knowledgeable). Anyway, I'll try again with yet another fresh install....

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by kmathern » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:34 pm

TenderFoot wrote:... One of my attempts was the legacy via Mepis XWA ...
I would use the non-legacy version nvidia driver for that card.

A 6200 nvidia card is classified as "legacy" now, but it wasn't 6 years ago.

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Post by TenderFoot » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:26 pm

A 6200 nvidia card is classified as "legacy" now, but it wasn't 6 years ago.
Yes I should have realised that!

Anyway, tried the latest (after full update) but same result

Code: Select all

Clocksource tsc unstable...
eth0: auto-negotiating...
:
:
:
ad infinitum
So how do I get out of this to try another strategy without having to do yet another re-install?

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by kmathern » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:29 pm

TenderFoot wrote:...Anyway, tried the latest (after full update) but same result

Code: Select all

Clocksource tsc unstable...
:
:
:
ad infinitum
Does it do that in a Live session?

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#7 Post by TenderFoot » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:40 pm

Not sure what you mean. In a live session I couldn't do the required reboot. And the installed version works fine (the display issues notwithstanding) until I try the nVidia update then do the reboot?

The immediate problem is how to get past the abovemetioned infinite loop to perform a rescue and try something else?

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Post by kmathern » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:47 pm

I wasn't talking about the nvidia install.

I assume those "Clocksource tsc unstable..." & "eth0: auto-negotiating..." errors you mention are while running from a harddrive install, do you also get them in a Live session?

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#9 Post by TenderFoot » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:52 pm

No (or if it does it's too fleeting and/or behind the splash) - it only occurs after the nVidia install.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#10 Post by kmathern » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:55 pm

So are saying that you weren't getting those errors before installing the nvidia driver?

Return to “Video-Related”