News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Linux and Intel Video

You can ask for help with video cards, tv cards, dvb, monitors, webcams, digital cameras and software related to these devices, here. Tutorials about these devices can be posted here, too.
whell
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Linux and Intel Video

Post by whell » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:21 am

The issues with Linux and laptops running Intel video chips is fairly well discussed across the net. However, there's an angle that I'm stuggling with, however, that's not well documented. I'm reaching out here to see if any of you good folks might have some thoughts.

I'm running an Acer Aspire 5736-4826 laptop. The video driver is identified as a Mobile Intel 4 Chipset Integrated Graphics contoller in KInfoCenter. The "renderer" is the Mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45. With this graphics set up and my laptop, Linux boots to a blank screen. Just about every distro I've encountered using a Linix kernel 3.x or higher has this issue, and as multiple posts on the net suggest, I'm not alone. To keep Linux from booting to a blank screen, as documented in various places on the net, one must insert the cheat code "acpi_osi=Linux" at boot time.

My issue goes beyond getting past a blank screen. I can start Mepis 12 (or any other recent distro for that matter) using the cheat code. However, I connect my laptop to TV via HDMI to watch videos. Unfortunately, Mepis 12, and every other distro I've tried with the latest Linux kernels, steadfastly refuses to recognize my TV on the HDMI input. Mepis 11 recognizes the HDMI connection and passes video to my TV with no problem. I also have another laptop with an Nvidia chip that recognizes the HDMI input and sends video to my TV with no issues, even with Mepis 12 or Solydxk. So the issue seems to be the newer Linux kernel's support for the darn intel video chip.

For what its worth, I tried Ubunutu with the newest downloadable Intel video drivers. Even with that set up, Ubuntu failed to see my TV on the HDMI output.

So, does anyone have any thoughts about what I might be able to do to coax Mepis 12 to see my TV connected via HDMI to this laptop?

whell
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Linux and Intel Video

Post by whell » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:26 am

Any thoughts?

JBoman
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by JBoman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:43 pm

A google search turned up that 2.6.32 kernel works and newer 3.11 kernel works but no clear solution as to why. :cool:
http://patentabsurdity.com/
AMD 64x2 2.6GHz 4GB ram MX-18.1 KDE regular updates
"beware a frequent flirt with potential disaster"

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by timkb4cq » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:51 pm

The xrandr command should allow you to select the hdmi output.
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

whell
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by whell » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:37 pm

timkb4cq wrote:The xrandr command should allow you to select the hdmi output.
xrandr shows HDMI1 as disconnected, even when the HDMI cable is plugged in.

JBoman
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by JBoman » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:30 pm

http://patentabsurdity.com/
AMD 64x2 2.6GHz 4GB ram MX-18.1 KDE regular updates
"beware a frequent flirt with potential disaster"

whell
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by whell » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:35 pm

So, I need to find a Debain - based distro with the 3.6.11 kernel or later? I've tried Ubuntu - the latest flavor - which has the 3.13 kernel and I have the same issue.

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by TenderFoot » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:40 pm

This may be off target and/or too late but I found that adding xdrvr=intel to the grub boot options did the trick!

whell
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by whell » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:09 pm

TenderFoot wrote:This may be off target and/or too late but I found that adding xdrvr=intel to the grub boot options did the trick!
Thank you very much for this. The good news is that I'm finally able to get a Linux distro with a "3 series" kernel to find my HDMI port. Sadly, after much playing around, I'm not able to get it going on the MX-14 beta. However, at least I've got it running with Linux Mint, and I'll be able to keep experimenting now that you've given me something to work with.

Thanks!

Return to “Video-Related”