-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Video problem, not nvidia or Xorg related

You can ask for help with video cards, tv cards, dvb, monitors, webcams, digital cameras and software related to these devices, here. Tutorials about these devices can be posted here, too.
kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Video problem, not nvidia or Xorg related

#1 Post by kmathern » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:03 pm

In the last few months I've been having a problem that I think might have something to do with my fairly old video hardware (17" Samtron CRT -- in use since 2002 or so, FX5200 nvidia video card -- used since 2006 or 2007).

Sometimes when I first power on or reboot, the display doesn't seem to want to come up and display anything, i.e. the Bios messages or grub menu. If I reboot (more than once sometimes) or just wait for a while, the grub menu eventually appears {I have the grub menu's timeout disabled so it will display the grub menu until the <Enter> key is pressed}.

I'm wondering if the CRT and/or the video card is/are starting to fail?

The reason I ask is I had a hard time getting the display to come up yesterday after it had been powered down for the better part of a week while I was out of town for Xmas.

arjaybe
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Video problem, not nvidia or Xorg related

#2 Post by arjaybe » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:52 pm

It sounds like the monitor to me. Like something needs to "warm up." Try turning it on and waiting a while before starting the system.
Intel Celeron 1007U with integrated HD Graphics 2500, 4GB RAM

A thug state led by an overweening twat.

Green Comet

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by timkb4cq » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:35 pm

I would suspect the monitor first. IIRC, the Samtron had on onscreen menu for setting height, width & such. (I used to have one) If the onscreen menu will come up when you push the button but the grub screen won't then I'd suspect the capacitors on the nvidia card.
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by kmathern » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:54 pm

timkb4cq wrote:I would suspect the monitor first. IIRC, the Samtron had on onscreen menu for setting height, width & such. (I used to have one) If the onscreen menu will come up when you push the button but the grub screen won't then I'd suspect the capacitors on the nvidia card.
When I'm having the problem the onscreen menu doesn't come up.
arjaybe wrote:It sounds like the monitor to me. Like something needs to "warm up." ...
Yesterday when the display finally appeared it was kind of like that. It reminded me of the old tube type television sets before they added the "instant-on" circuitry. The picture at first was barely visible but became brighter/stronger (not sure what the proper term is) as time went on. I have on occasion had the same problem after doing a reboot when the system had previously been up and running for a long period of time (it should of already been "warmed up").

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by timkb4cq » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:02 pm

I had to have a Samtron 17" with similar symptoms repaired under warranty about 5 years ago. IIRC it was the flyback transformer and it's driver transistors that needed replacing. Since it seems yours would no longer be under warranty, It's not going to be worthwhile to repair :frown:
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by kmathern » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:09 pm

timkb4cq wrote:I had to have a Samtron 17" with similar symptoms repaired under warranty about 5 years ago. IIRC it was the flyback transformer and it's driver transistors that needed replacing. Since it seems yours would no longer be under warranty, It's not going to be worthwhile to repair :frown:
I've probably gotten my money's worth out of it anyway.

What's your opinion about refurbs? Such as: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... id=1902217

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by timkb4cq » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:32 pm

Newegg & TigerDirect refurbs are mostly "didn't like" returns that just need testing & reboxing. I've never had a problem with refurbs from those two companies. You do have a shorter warranty period - but flat screen monitor failures usually happen either in the first fortnight or after the warranty runs out anyway.

JBoman
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#8 Post by JBoman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:54 pm

kmathern wrote:
timkb4cq wrote:I had to have a Samtron 17" with similar symptoms repaired under warranty about 5 years ago. IIRC it was the flyback transformer and it's driver transistors that needed replacing. Since it seems yours would no longer be under warranty, It's not going to be worthwhile to repair :frown:
I've probably gotten my money's worth out of it anyway.

What's your opinion about refurbs? Such as: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... id=1902217
Don't forget the bay > http://www.ebay.com/sch/Monitors-Projec ... 2522&rt=nc :popcorn:
http://patentabsurdity.com/
AMD 64x2 2.6GHz 4GB ram MX-17.1 KDE regular updates
"beware a frequent flirt with potential disaster"

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Post by uncle mark » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:58 pm

kmathern wrote:What's your opinion about refurbs? Such as: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... id=1902217
Kent, do you ever get down to Bloomington?

IU Surplus has "retired" monitors for $20-$30.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#10 Post by kmathern » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:40 pm

JBoman wrote:Don't forget the bay > http://www.ebay.com/sch/Monitors-Projec ... 2522&rt=nc :popcorn:
uncle mark wrote:
kmathern wrote:What's your opinion about refurbs? Such as: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... id=1902217
Kent, do you ever get down to Bloomington?

IU Surplus has "retired" monitors for $20-$30.
Thanks guys, I've already ordered the one from Newegg. It was $67.99 and free shipping. I think I paid $100 (or more) for the Samtron monitor back in the early 2000s.

I don't get to Bloomington very often, last time was back in the mid 1990s when I did some work at Crane.

Return to “Video-Related”